Thread: Upgrade to ZA Pro 7.0.466.000 Issue

jneedsu Guest

Default Upgrade to ZA Pro 7.0.466.000 Issue

Hi all,
    1st post so I hope I provide all the necessary info.
    I have had ZA Pro for several months and think i've upgraded at least once since purchasing this.
    I also have ESET NOD 32 Antivirus and Antispyware, also recently upgraded (V3.0.566.0).
    (Still not recognised by ZA
    as antivirus software installed! but understood from various forums that the two do make good companions)
    Prior to upgrading to this ZA version I discovered a couple of Trojans had made their way onto my system even though I am very careful about having high security settings, sorry I cant remember the actual Trojans that these were.
    Only that the second one required a Deep-inspection scan to detect it.
    Both of which I chose delete when the scan had completed.
    When i first upgraded to this version of ZA it prompted me as to whether I wanted to keep items in Quarantine but ZA wasnt showing any items in Quarantine.
    I clicked no to deleting Quarantine on the first attempt at upgrading so that i could check Quarantine in ZA once it had completed but there was nothing there.
    I decided to run install again and this time selecting delete Qaurantine to reasure myself nothing nasty was being missed.
    I noticed since upgrading ESET that cookie type sites such as hotmail have been playing up, after logging in, once i click on Inbox or a message, i'm returned to the login screen again.
    If i relogin then I'm taken to where I clicked but then the same happens again, similar with Ebay.
    I reported this to ESET but was told their product doesnt block cookies.
    I'm using the latest version of IE, sorry cant find version number.
    I used to add a web site to I.E>Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Site List but found this cumbersome with also setting Privacy settings within ZA, so i decided to reduce the job within IE (deleted site list) so that ZA could manage this.
    I.E>Tools>Internet Options>Security>Internet Zone set to medium and the same with Privacy settings, I.E. pop up blocker turned on.
    I have noticed that since upgrading ZA that sites that i visit are not appearing in the Site List and unless i turn cookie control in ZA off i'm finding it impossible to use sites such as hotmail and even this forum either because of the issue of being returned to login pages or as with this forum i'm informed that i have cookies being blocked.
    This was with ZA settings of cookie control - medium, ad
    blocking - medium and mobile code control - on, i.e. just javascript allowed within mobile code control.
    I have also now tried an uninstall of ZA from the Control Panel and then reinstalling as a fresh install as i
    wondered if a Trojan could have
    interferred with ZA,
    but same issues remain.
    Also noticed that i now have 4 extra zones present in the Firewall>Zones as DNS Servers in the Trusted Zone, i never put these here but noticed something in the version notes that mentioned adding network settings, is it possible to validate the IP addresses shown in the Firewall>Zones as being those of my local network?
    OS Win XP Pro SP2 + all
    current patches.
    Any help and advice greatly appreciated, would like to ensure I have good high settings working.
    Kind regardsjneedsu

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Upgrade to ZA Pro 7.0.466.000 Issue

Hi jneedsu

Sorry about your troubles. Maybe this following advice will help to fix the troubles. It will remove the previous settings, but the ZA will be nicely cleaned up and hopefully it will be working properly:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder. Also delete any tvdebug files found and delete any lspconflict file (but post this file's contents in your next reply)

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

(How to get into the safe mode)

After the reboot back into the Normal Mode, just set the new found network as Trusted, and then after the initial alerts flurry, just do this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Once the ZA is nicely settled in and the usual number of program entires are created and the new settings are established, just backup the setting using the Back Up feature. If the Zone Alarm needs some "house cleaning" again, then the original saved settings can be Restored and the ZA will be just as before the database reset.

Hope this helps, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jneedsu Guest

Hi Oldsod
    Thank you very much for your reply which I have now followed.
    Regarding the deleting of specific files from c:\windows\internet logs folder I didn't have an ispconflict file.
    Just checked this again by ensuring I didnt have My Computer>Tools>Folder options>View>Hidden files and folders set to "Do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files" selected, definately don't appear to have file.
    As for the DNS and DHCP settings, although I have a network card it isn't currently connected to anything as the PC is currently stand alone.
    I use 3G / 3.5G mobile comms solution for internet via my smart phone and the USB connection, so when I ran "ipconfig /all" there are no settings shown as the NIC is shown as not having any connection.
    I have however added the localhost IP address 127.0.0.1 to the Trusted Zone as you described below.
    The generic host process already had the settings as described below when I checked these in
    ZA Program Control.
    The bad news is this hasn't fixed the issue of logging into sites and being thrown back to log in screen again or the ZA Privacy > Site List which is still not being populated even though the Privacy Advisor is reporting Cookies, Private Headers and Mobile Code other than Javascript as having been blocked when surfing to various sites.
    Look forward to any additional advice please.
    Kind regardsJneedsu

Hi jneedsu

I am really unsure about the phone use for the internet connection. I have no experience with this type of setup at all. This is beyond my knowledge and experience. There still has to be some DHCP and DNS server somewhere along the line (even from the provider's servers, if none on your phone) or the connections will not work.

You should contact the Technical Support for this issue. It is free by email.

Technical Support.

As for the Privacy. there is this site from Guru Hoov with some details about the privacy. But one of the best sources of information is the ZA Help file. Just open the ZA and press the F1 key.

It is possible there is some other security on the PC that does some web filtering, cookie blocking, site blocking, or such, and this is causing some issues.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information