Thread: Cannot decipher spyware database

namagemo Guest

Default Cannot decipher spyware database

Hi...Accidentally killed ZA during update process, and now when updating spyware portion (Anti-virus ok) I get the error"Cannot decipher spyware database:"....(path)How do I repair the spyware database?Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Cannot decipher spyware database

Hello,Are you running 7.0.462.000? If you are, then follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot.Let me know how it goes.:8}

namagemo Guest

Chiawaikian....Thanks for responding.Yes, I'm using 7.0.462.000I tried your suggestion and now get a "Cannot patch spyware database:" in the Update Progress window.Not quite the same message as before and no path is shown.Any more ideas? Or is a re-install warranted?

naivemelody Guest

Try this -<hr>This can be caused by a corrupt file.
    - click Start -&gt; Run -&gt; type SYSTEM32 and click OK- look down the list of directories and- double-click on ZONE LABS, then on UPDATES- delete all files, especially LocalCatalog.xml
    Now Exit this page and go back into Zone Alarm and- Manually run the anti-spyware update again <hr>- do not use any web accelerators (often used with dial-up) nor download managers -temporarily shut off/ stop the web accelerator when ever updating new anti-spyware and anti-virus definitions - if you can use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6/ 7; better to use IE 6/ or 7 for updating, instead of Firefox or others

Works for ZA Software Version:
    7.0<hr>http://forum.zonelabs.org/i/smilies/...very-happy.gifNaiveMelody NYC 12-5-07 - Hotel California - The Eagles

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 12-05-2007 08:20 PM

namagemo Guest

HI NaiveMelody, thanks for trying to help....Deleted all EXCEPT LocalCatalog.xml because of a permission or file in use error. Tried quitting ZA and then deleting, but no go. Tried updating and got yet another error variation as follows:C:\Windows\system32\Zonelabs\Updates\unpac ked==anti_spyware=SpywareDatabase-70-Patch.zip\tools: Directory not emptyI looked at the LocalCatalog.xml file and cannot see any corrupted code or missing verbage as far as I can tell (I'm no code expert). Either I have to find a way to delete the file like you suggested, or maybe the LocalCatalog.xml file is ok but with
    a variable that
    was
    changed and not getting read correctly by the updater. There are a lot of variables being set in that file. What do you think?

Thread Information