Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

saturn Guest

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

I too submitted a reprt to Tech Support but nothing yet.

gentlsong Guest

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but do have a couple of questions directly related to this conversation so they seem to fit best here.

Where exactly are you seeing that vsmon.exe is using 30%? If it's in Task Manager, what is the name of the column?

If 30% is too much usage, what should the usage be?

Thanks!

Sylvia

smokinvipergts Guest

There are two ways to see this...First, in Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, and look at the ImageName and CPU columns. The CPU % shown is the % of the total system cpus aggregated. So, if it is taking 90% of one cpu on a two cpu machine, it will show 45% in the column. The other way to see this is to switch to the Performance tab. Each cpu that your machine has should be shown in a separate box above the memory display. One of those boxes will be pegging at about 90%.
    Then do this: unplug your network cable. Watch the 90% box dive to 0, and switch to the Processes tab and see that vsmon is now at 0%. Then plug your network cable back in - vsmon will immediately spike the cpu again on both tabs.
    It's pretty conclusive.
    Incidently, if you're still having trouble booting your system up to be able to do anything with it, unplugging the network cable (which shuts down vsmon's cpu consumption) is a quick and easy way to get control of your machine back (albeit temporarily) so that you can do other things.

I also submitted this to Tech Support yesterday. The auto message they send out says to give them 2 days. I'm just leaving ZA shut off on my problem machine, and using the Windows firewall, until we can get some clarity on this.

smokinvipergts Guest

Sorry, you also asked what a normal cpu% is? On the machine I'm on now, normal is 0%, with occasional spikes as high as 6%, and 1-2 minutes of 30% when it is performing a security scan once a day (using the process tab % numbers).

promisedplanet Guest

I haven't done an extensive search through the rest of the forum, but it looks like most people started reporting this problem on Dec 9.
    Interesting given that this version was released on Nov 30.
    I wonder if there's some interaction with a recent Windows update, or something?

gentlsong Guest

Thanks for the explanation. I was getting this mixed up with memory usage without realizing it.

Sylvia

smokinvipergts Guest

Good question. But I saw this problem on 2 machines (both Media Center Edition 2005, latest patch level) more than a month ago - maybe 2 months ago. It kicked me in the shins so hard that once I figured out how to disable it by going into Safe Mode, I simply didn't bother putting any more effort into it until this week. Just been to busy. Altogether now, I have at least 30+ hours trying to troubleshoot this beast on these two machines, with one of them working, and one to go. Incidentally, my three XP Pro SP2 (non media center) machines have been perfectly happy all along. And I used the exact same download to install all machines. Same AV (Nod32). Go figure.

gordongn Guest

I finally gave up after submitting details to Technical Support and reverted to 7.0.337 (if I remember the number correctly). It's quirky but it doesn't eat up resources like 462.

I use a product called BootBack which allows me to place multiple snapshots of my entire system on the same C drive. I always snapshot the working system before upgrading ZoneAlarm due to my past experience with upgrades. If the new upgrade doesn't pass muster, I simply "boot back" into the snapshot taken before the upgrade and use that to wipe out the newer snapshot.

I'll monitor and report anything I hear from ZA Technical Support and hope any of you who have also submitted your issues to do the same.

As a Technical Support Representative for a company writing software for Windows, I sympathize with any developer of software for this platform. You never know what you have until you release it "in the wild".

gordongn Guest

My system monitor shows "normal" usage on my system to be from zero to 6% CPU utilization on average. There will be spikes but when there's nothing much going on, you should not see a constant background usage of 30%. With 7.0.462, this is the value I see 24/7.

I also use a program from SysInternals (now under Microsoft's site) called Process Explorer. It is far better and far more informative that Windows Task Manager. It provides a graphic representation - also in the system tray - of CPU Utilization and also I/O activity. You can find the program at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx. I heartily recommend it to all the geeks out there.

promisedplanet Guest

I'm using NOD32, also.
    On a Win XP Home SP2 machine.
    I think I remember this problem happening a while ago.
    I don't remember what I did, possibly just reinstall.
    I was just surprised to see it reappear all of a sudden, today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information