Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

promisedplanet Guest

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

Process Explorer is definitely a nice tool.
    One of its best features IMO is the ability to search on open files to see what processes have them open.
    I use it pretty often!

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

Hi,

Just a few questions for everyone who wants to post back with the info, as I am trying my very best to figure out what is wrong.

1.) Any prior A/V and Firewall either by another vendor or by Zone Alarm installed on your computer? PLEASE list them if you had, prior to Zone Alarm.

2.) What other Security Programs/Software you have installed on your computer now?

3.) Any online scanning by any of the other FREE ONLINE SCANS for BUGS lately?

4.) Can you recall anything that you changed with your computer recently?

5.) Did you upgrade to the recent version of Zone Alarm or did you complete a uninstall/reinstall of Zone Alarm?

6.) Were you offline when you installed the latest version of Zone Alarm, with NO OTHER PROGRAMS RUNNING?

7.) Any other info in reference to Error Messages, Event Viewer Error Code Messages, anything that can help me to help you find a solution to this problem, PLEASE?

PLEASE KEEP ALL YOUR INDIVIDUAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004

You mentioned in your post about having problems with your two Windows Media Center computers. Checkout this thread out.http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=44967SlyFox

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006

<H2>Here is a Quote from the Moderator:"Unfortunately Media Center Edition is not support by any ZoneAlarm product free or paid.Forum Moderator"</H2><H2>Features of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005</H2>Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005's core functions haven't changed since the OS's conception two years ago. Its basic function is to give you a remote-control-friendly interface for watching and recording TV along with accessing the videos, photos, and music on your PC. Any MCE 2005 system comes equipped with Windows XP SP2 and Windows Media Player 10.0, but the most noticeable change to this year's version is greater hardware support, both inside and outside the PC. On the whole, MCE 2005 is more visually appealing and responsive than past versions. For one, the Media Center shell itself (more of an application within Windows XP Home than its own OS) looks much improved. Microsoft has made it easier to get to your most commonly used functions--next to each item on the main menu are three icons that are shortcuts to oft-used tasks. For example, next to the Live TV menu item, you might find icons for live TV, recorded TV, and movies. It's easy to close out of the MCE 2005 interface or just resize its window to return to regular Windows XP Home; you can perform either action with a couple of clicks, using the remote control or the mouse.---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:931895014
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3005
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 12-11-2007 04:03 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

saturn Guest

Slyfox
    Thanks for the offer of help.
    After experiencing this problem with a number of configurations I reverted to a restored Acronis backup of a fresh installation of XP (created 02/12/07). The following answers relate to this fresh installation of XP.
    1. XP Firewall was enabled on ZAP installation.
    **bleep** anti-virus had been installed but was deinstalled prior to ZAP installation.
    2. Adaware 2007 is installed but it being an free version operates standalone and has not been run prior to the problem experienced.
    3. No
    4. No to hardware and clean installation of XP as described.
    5. Fresh install of ZAP on clean XP.
    6. Network was connected but no other applications running.
    ZAP install files were on another (non OS) hard disk.
    Nothing known.
    Hope this helps

smokinvipergts Guest

1.) Any prior A/V and Firewall either by another vendor or by Zone Alarm installed on your computer? PLEASE list them if you had, prior to Zone Alarm.
    --&gt;All 5 of my computers use Nod32 AV. I previously used Norton AV, but dumped it. 3 of my computers have never had a single problem with ZA, and I've been using it for 7 years. The other 2, both Media Center Edition 2005, choked on 7.0.737 and 7.0462. I got one of them running 7.0.462 successfully now, but for the life of me cannot get the last one working. For the remainder of this post, I'll refer to it as &quot;The problem child&quot;, and the 3 happy computers as my &quot;Happy Kids&quot;.

2.) What other Security Programs/Software you have installed on your computer now?
    --&gt;Problem Child - none other than Nod32. Happy Kids - Nod32, SpyBot S&amp;D.

3.) Any online scanning by any of the other FREE ONLINE SCANS for BUGS lately?
    --&gt;none. I don't do that.

4.) Can you recall anything that you changed with your computer recently?
    --&gt;Problem Child - brand new build, from the hardware on up to the MCE 2005, with all updates. Everything works fine except ZA. Happy Kids - Range from 5 years old to 2 years old, all current OS patches, recent utility adds, blah blah...

5.) Did you upgrade to the recent version of Zone Alarm or did you complete a uninstall/reinstall of Zone Alarm?
    --&gt;Happy Kids - standard overwrite with upgrade, no problems. Problem Child - new install followed by 3 complete uninstalls and re-installs. Still doesn't work.

6.) Were you offline when you installed the latest version of Zone Alarm, with NO OTHER PROGRAMS RUNNING?
    --&gt;Happy Kids - on-line, with everything running. Yes, I know that's stupid, but hey, it worked just fine. Problem Child - First 3 installs on-line, with various sets of stuff progressively turned off. 4th install off-line (network cable unplugged), everything else shutdown, including Nod32. This last install worked much better (though still problematic, at least it's installed), and I am convinced that it was due to the network cable being unplugged, and nothing else. Installed from local machine. Used exact same download file that I used on the Happy Kids. The first three installs froze during initialization of vsmon.

7.) Any other info in reference to Error Messages, Event Viewer Error Code Messages, anything that can help me to help you find a solution to this problem, PLEASE?
    --&gt;Problem Child - had an error on zpeng24. It was the only error that I could find. Although, post-installation, when I manually start ZA either with the network cable plugged in, or start it, and then plug in the cable, I sometimes get a dialog box telling me that ZA is initializing. It spins for about 5 minutes, and then puts up an error dialog box saying that it could not initialize.
    --&gt;One curious thing that I found was that during installation, when vsmon goes into initialization parallysis, it shows as running at &quot;Above Normal&quot; priority, with no identified user account (not even &quot;system&quot; is shown).
    A properly installed and running vsmon runs at &quot;Normal&quot; priority, and shows as &quot;system&quot; account. IMHO, running vsmon at &quot;Above Normal&quot; priority could be causing the symptom of spinning endlessly, because it's not being asked to step down by the process scheduler. Just a theory though. This is totally repro-able.
    Hope that helps!

smokinvipergts Guest

Wow! I'm shocked. As Guru Jeruselem pointed out on that thread, MCE is really just XP Pro SP2 with an add-on package from MS.
    Can you say why the decision was made to not support it?

Hi,If the forum software did not bleep out the name of the A/V you had, I sure would like to know what it was. The only other possible problem is when you installed ZA, you were still on the Network, as it is recommended to be TOTALLY DISCONNECTED as I have indicated in this solution as follows:3,) DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET. If you use Cable or DSL Modem, PLEASE DISCONNECT IT. ALSO, ANY OTHER PROGRAMS, THIS INCLUDES THE WINDOWS FIREWALL, EXCEPT YOUR BASIC PROGRAMS TO RUN WINDOWS. To find out what APPLICATIONS ARE RUNNING, PLEASE GO TO YOUR TASK MANAGER. Control + Alt+ Delete. It should bring you to your Task Mgr. Look for Applications, make sure there are NO APPLICATIONS RUNNING. If they are, use the END TASK BUTTON.Also, all you have is Ad-Aware the free version, no Spy Bot with Tea Timer or anything else, correct?Let's see what the other members have to say, if they want to answer the questions.Thanks for posting back with the info.SlyFox

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004

Sorry, I don't have a answer to your question, but you can ask our Forum Moderator about it by going to the bottom on your screen on the right side and look for Report Abuse to the Moderator, click on that and type in your message. He will receive it directly and hopefully you will receive your answer by another post or by email, most likely by another post. PLEASE keep me posted, THANKS.SlyFox

10. Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

Yes I saw your advice about disconnection from the network after this installation had taken place, so noted for next time.
    I suppose I should also disable the XP Firewall, but that seems a bit unnecessary since the ZAP install does it anyway.
    As the other poster said the problem wasn't cured on the 4th install, the 4th being disconnected from the internet, I won't rush into another install just yet (won't get time until the weekend at the earliest anyway).
    I'd also like to see what tech support says about the matter when they respond to my (or someone else's) submission.
    In answer to your question you are correct, only the free Ad-Aware. The anti-virus was A v a s t, but as I said I deinstalled this for my latest attempt at installing ZAP.
    Using Acronis to revert to clean OS installs I've tried numerous configurations to install ZAP over the last week or so and to be honest the symptoms have remained largely the same.
    Before I created a new XP installation I was on an older installation which had ZAP 7.0.337.000 installed
    and that used to cause a hesitation (of around 30 secs) during logon similar to this 7.0.462.000.
    It didn't seem to exhibit the zlclient/vsmon cpu usage
    problem though.
    Here's hoping for some more responses to your request for info....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information