Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

gordongn Guest

Default After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

After upgrading from the immediately previous release to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe run at an average combined CPU utilization of about 30%. I just upgraded yesterday and rebooting has not made any difference. Also, zlclient.exe is constantly performing some I/O at a constant level.

What is this about? I'm really tiring of running into problems with upgrades of ZoneAlarm. This time I did a Clean Install which is always my choice because upgrade installs are generally far more problem prone.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

saturn Guest

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

I have the same problem and I've installed 7.0.462.000 onto a brand new XP installation.
    After some time (circa 10-15 mins) they stop consuming cpu and whilst they are consuming cpu it takes ages before the ZA application displays properly and is usable.
    The thing I can think of is that I had **bleep** anti-virus s/w loaded when I installed ZAP.

gordongn Guest

Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

Sadly, utilization continues on my machine after 1.5 days! I'll admit that it may still be in "learning" mode but I want someone to confirm this for me before I back out to the older release and buy another product.

saturn Guest

When these two are chewing up cpu the ZAP client is very slow to launch or completely unresponsive.
    I've just had to revert to an earlier backup of my system drive because ZAP completely screwed itself.
    This is getting serious, make sure you have a backup.

aztrader Guest

FWIW, I have 4 computers. 3 with ZL7 and 1 that had very similar BSOD problem. I'm a loyal ZL user but the latest releases have been really hard to get reliably working. I've had to go back to 337 to stay stable and this version has a security problem. For now, I'm waiting for awhile so they can get it together.

For the 1 computer with BSOD (its also an advanced gaming computer with lots of memory and fast processor), no matter what I did, I could not get BSOD to go way. To solve the problem, my only option was to completely remove using the clean uninstall steps and move to AVIRA (another AV package)

Now.... I never have a problem. However, I do think ZL7 is superior but the constant crashes and instability for that particular computer left me no option.

Cheers

gordongn Guest

None of this is good news. I work for a software company and have over 30 years of experience in Technical Support (started back in the mainframe days). My colleagues are also leaning away from ZoneAlarm for the same reasons. I'll be asking today about a better choice in firewall. They have been the best for a very long time but I just don't have the extra time in my life to be a nursemaid to yet another PC (I'm already a nursemaid to hundreds of customer PCs).

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,PLEASE contact Tech Support and see what they say about this issue and if you would PLEASE post back with their answer they give you, THANKS.PLEASE use ONLY I.E. 7 or 6 when sending this Tech Support Form, as NO other browser will work, THANKS.You need to contact Tech Support at

www.zonelabs.com/tsform

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

8. Default Re: After upgrade to 7.0.462.000, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe consume 30% CPU (total)

I submitted a Technical Support request as you suggested. Note that the site has instructions for Netscape and Firefox users which unfortunately doesn't appear to work.

If you use Firefox, you can simply open an IE Tab (with the IE Tab add-on) which does the job just fine within Firefox.

smokinvipergts Guest

I have not sent this to Tech Support yet, but I've done extensive troubleshooting on it. The symptoms on this thread are all IMHO directly related to vsmon failing to initialize properly. I've had this problem with 7.0.337.000 and 7.0.462.000 on two of my 5 computers, both running Media Center Edition 2005 (an XP Pro SP2 extension). My other 3 standard XP Pro SP2 computers are fine.
    I eventually got one of the two MCE computers happy with 7.0.462, by doing the complete uninstall and clean "new" install. But the other computer is still not happy yet. I can't get vsmon to inialize fully, and while it's trying to do so, I've had all of the above problems with hanging on bootup, and if it gets that far, **bleep**ing up 90% of one CPU doing nothing, and causing the windows explorer to take *forever* to boot up. As a temporary work-around, I strongly recommend that you set ZA to not start automatically on boot up - this will prevent vsmon from loading. In this way, you won't have advantage of ZA, but at least you can startup your computer and use it normally. I've put details on how to do this on another thread for vsmon (TrueVector) failures, so I won't re-post it here. Once you've got it to NOT start automatically, at least you can then operate normally while continuing to look for a solution.

promisedplanet Guest

Any response from Tech Support yet?
    I'm having the same problem, with the two processes taking as much CPU as they can get (eg 90+% on my system) ... sigh ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information