Thread: Upgrade to which version after problem?

bookburn Guest

Default Upgrade to which version after problem?

I'm running XT 2nd Ed. on a Sony PC with 1 MEG ram.
    Enjoyed the 6 suite I bought on CD, then
    downloaded new versions twice, finally to 7.0.337.0, which worked fine.
    My latest attempt to download an "important update" didn't work.
    Twice I downloaded, getting error messages like "IE will not download this" and "operation timed out."
    Support that I contacted by
    phone said
    it may be caused
    by my dial up connection and server, to keep trying and contact again if no-go.
    After lengthy re-attempts to download the 40 MEG program, I contacted support again and was refunded the money for the suite
    so that I can use a CD version to install
    an upgrade.

I will
    take this step, as I think ZA is the best.
    But after removing ZA and
    doing a clean install with
    CDs, won't I be in the same place I was again?
    The program will advise me a new version is available, and I won't be able to download it.
    What I wonder is whether I should coast along using my present
    337 version without file updates until a newer and better version that the 462
    is marketed, like an 8 series
    that comes out in '08?
    bookburn, trying to hang in there.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Upgrade to which version after problem?

<blockquote><hr>bookburn wrote:
    I'm running XT 2nd Ed. on a Sony PC with 1 MEG ram.
    Enjoyed the 6 suite I bought on CD, then
    downloaded new versions twice, finally to 7.0.337.0, which worked fine.
    My latest attempt to download an &quot;important update&quot; didn't work.
    Twice I downloaded, getting error messages like &quot;IE will not download this&quot; and &quot;operation timed out.&quot;
    Support that I contacted by
    phone said
    it may be caused
    by my dial up connection and server, to keep trying and contact again if no-go.
    After lengthy re-attempts to download the 40 MEG program, I contacted support again and was refunded the money for the suite
    so that I can use a CD version to install
    an upgrade.

I will
    take this step, as I think ZA is the best.
    But after removing ZA and
    doing a clean install with
    CDs, won't I be in the same place I was again?
    The program will advise me a new version is available, and I won't be able to download it.
    What I wonder is whether I should coast along using my present
    337 version without file updates until a newer and better version that the 462
    is marketed, like an 8 series
    that comes out in '08?
    bookburn, trying to hang in there.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>Have you contacted your ISP about the error &quot;operation timed out&quot;?
    What do they say?
    On dialup the ZASS 7.0.462.000 download is two plus hours.Are you trying to use a download manager or web accelerator? If so, that is a problem - try the download again without using a download manager or web acceleraor (most dialup ISPs provide one) - disable it for your Zone Alarm download.
    If you are not sure about the web accelerator, whether you have it or not or how to temporarily disable contact your ISP provider or check their forum, or website for user information.Also, if you have computer set to sleep or hibernate - disable for the download.Particularly for dialup - turn off/don't run anything unnecessary in the background: music, video, working on documents, email, surfing the web during the download - best to just let the download run and not pull your computer resources away from it.
    I downloaded latest Zone Alarm Security Suite on dialup without a hitch using IE7.
    Another dialup tip which I'm sure you're well aware of is the ability to download on dialup faster at certain times of the day.
    So you can remain with earlier version of ZASS until you can successfully download the latest version.
    On the box CDs - I don't know what version your box CD would be but I doubt its the latest.
    The latest version 7.0.462.000 was released November 20th.
    So I agree with your conclusion that you would be back to where you are now with an earlier version, not the latest.
    For your information, here is a link to latest version download and the release history http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    and from there are links to each release and what was fixed/changed.

Regards,Findley

Hi Bookburn...I agree with everything Findley said..One thing I would add from what other Users have said about downloading over Dialup..Temporarily Turn off any Screen Blanker or Hibernation as that may result in a drop carrier connection if the download takes over 30 minutes..as for the Version available on the Box labeled "Zone Alarm Security Suite 2008" I just looked and it is ZASS 7.0.408.000 for XP and ZASS 7.1.078.000 for VISTA..another choice if your lucky to have a friend with a Broadband Cable/DSL Internet connection who can download the files for you.. from http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlGood Luck..---------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:932098327
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3025
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bookburn Guest

Thanks for your and Findley's advice.
    I hadn't thought of the one about switching off hibernation and similar power saving devices during downloads, getting a friend to download, etc..
    What I've done is several things at the same time, so don't know which was my work-around:
    1) substituted Foxfire in safe mode
    for IE7, 2) downloaded the smaller Zone Alarm anti-virus, available as shareware for two weeks, and downloaded Spyware Doctor to make me up a security suite.
    This downloaded and installed okay, so I at least can lick my wounds for a couple weeks and maybe decide I like what I got instead of the suite.
    Regards, bookburn

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>bookburn wrote:
    Thanks for your and Findley's advice. I hadn't thought of the one about switching off hibernation and similar power saving devices during downloads, getting a friend to download, etc.. What I've done is several things at the same time, so don't know which was my work-around: 1) substituted Foxfire in safe modefor IE7, 2) downloaded the smaller Zone Alarm anti-virus, available as shareware for two weeks, and downloaded Spyware Doctor to make me up a security suite.This downloaded and installed okay, so I at least can lick my wounds for a couple weeks and maybe decide I like what I got instead of the suite. Regards, bookburn
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..The Zone Alarm Anti-Virus works well as a Good Firewall and Anti-Virus Protection.. However, Compatibility of Spyware Doctor with Zone Alarm Products has been a problem for some Users..If the proves to be the Case for you.. See if Spyware Doctor has a "Worm Guard" or Registry Guard feature and turn that OFF..Or you may want to Try AVG -Anti Spyware 7.5 from www.grisoft.com Good Luck..
    GeorgeV

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bookburn Guest

I hear you.

Only problem I've had so far is following someone's advice in the forum about installing a new version after first removing the old, then running CCleaner.
    I downloaded the free program and ran it, but it scared me.
    After only a few seconds, it rounded up hundreds of files of all kinds, including register, all checked and ready to be erased in one fell swoop, albeit with a safety net for recoveries.
    Of course, there is a recovery program built into the OS if you screw up.

Way over my head, so I folded that tent and stole away.
    I would have to do a lot of homework before running CCleaner, I think.
    Maybe as a last-ditch effort.
    Anyway, I see that other advice says to install new versions on top of old.
    bookburn

findley Guest

bookburn,Thanks for the feedback.
    Whatever your final decision on security software - Good luck to you
    Regards,Findley

bookburn Guest

About using CCleaner, I can report that I gave it another try, resulting in removal of some 40 meg of files,
    register cleaning, and noticeable improvement in running speed.
    This may well have been my underlying problem in failing to download the ZA Suite.
    bookburn

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>bookburn wrote:
    About using CCleaner, I can report that I gave it another try, resulting in removal of some 40 meg of files,register cleaning, and noticeable improvement in running speed. This may well have been my underlying problem in failing to download the ZA Suite. bookburn
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback to this User Forum..Please Keep us Posted on your Progress..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:932544281
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3045
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV