Thread: Very Slow Startup of ZA Pro

jkounis Guest

Default Very Slow Startup of ZA Pro

After I reboot, if I right-click the "Z" icon for ZoneAlarm Pro to get the contextual menu, or if I double click the icon to get the ZoneAlarm window, the window (or contextual menu if I right-clicked) comes up and then "freezes" for a long time (about 15-20 minutes).

If I wait the 15-20 minutes, ZoneAlarm will eventually respond to user input. In the interim, the computer keeps working just fine. All other windows appear OK, with the exception that the ZoneAlarm window is "stuck" in the background; it cannot be closed or minimized. Also, the ZoneAlaram security warnings (e.g. if a program tries to access the internet) continue like normal. I just have to wait 15-20 minutes after a reboot to see the zonealarm window or menu.

One I have patiently waited for ZoneAlarm to respond the first time, all subsequent times that I invoke it are immediate.

Has anyone else experienced this problem>?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

themole Guest

Default Re: Very Slow Startup of ZA Pro

What version of ZAP are you using, the current one?
    If you are, then make sure the following is allowed.
    Adding the DHCP and DNS server addresses to the firewall trusted zone

Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix

The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) does need to have server rights for the Trusted Server Zone. So it should have allow or green checks for the Trusted and Internet Zone Acesss and a green check for the Trusted Server and a red X for the Internet Server. The svchost needs to make a connection with both the dhcp and the dns servers to create internet connections for the applications and the Operating System itself.

Let me know if this fixes your issues.

jkounis Guest

Default Re: Very Slow Startup of ZA Pro

Thank you for your help!

Although the exact steps you mentioned did not solve my problem, they gave me a great idea where to look.

Based on your suggestion, I investigated the trusted zones under Firewall -> Zones. The IP addresses for my DNS servers were already trusted, and DHCP was not an issue, since we use static IP addresses on our network. However, I have VMWare installed. VMWare has two "Ethernet Adapters" at the addresses 192.168.111.1 and 192.168.150.1. I have no idea what these "adapters" are for. Once I added these two IP addresses to the trusted zone, my problems disappeared.

I don't know if this is a bug, or if this is the way ZA is supposed to work. Maybe there should be a bug report on it? I really wish I knew how VMWare uses these two IP addresses.

Thanks again!

Thread Information