Thread: Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000142) error upgrade to 7.0.462.0 Firewall/Antivirus

andrewduerden Guest

Default Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000142) error upgrade to 7.0.462.0 Firewall/Antivirus

I have the following problem although previously it has been working fine. Only change is that I had a problem with my hard disk (bad sector) and video card failed and also added another hard drive. PC runs fine for all other programs and performance and previous version of ZOne Alarm ran Ok after changes as well.
    I have followed numerous
    clean uninstall/ reboot processes posted in other threads but always end up with the same problem. If somebody can help that would be great as I have a few months left on my subscription and no firewall or AV at the moment.
    Have XP Pro SP1, 500MB RAM.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

gilgen Guest

Default Re: Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000142)

I have just upgraded and am getting the same error!

I tried a complete re-install same again!

running XP professional on a laptop

jlp Guest

Here also excactly the same problem.
    I've tried to downgrade but no success.

I have tried it on 2 computer one XP home and the other XP prof. both gave me the same error.
    I use AVG also on both computers.

gilgen Guest

I have managed to install OK on XP Home PC.
    Laptop & PC are both are also running AVG

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!PLEASE go to the following thread and it should answer your question about the issues you are having with ZA.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73651

Best uninstall procedure to follow as long as you don't mind loosing a few settings. This almost guarantees trouble free installation.

Click Start - Click Run - In the Open dialog box copy and paste the following:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(this works only if you installed initially to the default drive C: and the za uninstaller is still present on your system)

Follow all prompts and then system will reboot.

Now your ready for a new installation.

"Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. Default Re: Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000142)

Thanks SlyFox.

I did uninstall several times and try new install, with all booting etc.... no succes.

But gonna try your suggestion.

myheartdances Guest

I've had the same problem today. Can you tell me how you solved it?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times.

gilgen Guest

I didn't have a problem with the PC with XP home SP2 but only with my laptop which is running XP Pro without SP2. After following the link provided by Sly Fox it became apparent that Zone Alarm only provide support for PC's running on XP SP2. After digging further I also found that it is not really necessary to upgrade if your system runs OK. So I did a clean uninstall then went to the Hippo download site and downloaded the previous version and have reinstalled that. I have also turned off automated updates.
    I figure that having a previous version is better than having none at all plus I also have a NAT router firewall. I have in the past tried **bleep** and PC Tools but was unable to configure them easily and nobody on the forums could give me any guidance.

e_bachmann Guest

<blockquote><hr>Gilgen wrote:
    I didn't have a problem with the PC with XP home SP2 but only with my laptop which is running XP Pro without SP2. After following the link provided by Sly Fox it became apparent that Zone Alarm only provide support for PC's running on XP SP2. After digging further I also found that it is not really necessary to upgrade if your system runs OK. So I did a clean uninstall then went to the Hippo download site and downloaded the previous version and have reinstalled that. I have also turned off automated updates.
    I figure that having a previous version is better than having none at all plus I also have a NAT router firewall. I have in the past tried **bleep** and PC Tools but was unable to configure them easily and nobody on the forums could give me any guidance.
    <hr></blockquote>

So sadly true!!

I too have an old PC running non-SP2 compatible software. I joined the club of rolling back to &quot;good old&quot; 7.0.4008 (See: http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/?3211) to reinstall zone alarm.

I LIKE Zonealarm and would be very sorry if I have to find another product. So - boys and girls - back to the drawingboard: Find and fix the problem with XP without SP2.

BTW! The error: &quot;could not open install.log file&quot;

around 67% of installation is an oldie. It's in 7.0.4008 too

Thread Information