Thread: Old, Old Pro version vs ZoneAlarm Free current version?

needinghelp Guest

Default Old, Old Pro version vs ZoneAlarm Free current version?

Hi,

On my laptop I have a VERY VERY old version of ZoneAlarm Pro that is no longer supported (4.5.585.000) that I have no problems with. Although it works well and it still blocks unwanted incoming/outgoing requests, etc., I'm wondering if I'm still well protected. This old Pro version has other options that the free version doesn't, but since it's so old perhaps the current free version may be better to have at this point? Can't afford to get another Pro version. I've been using the Free version on my desktop for quite some time without any problems. What is the best thing to do on my laptop?

Both computers Windows XP2 Home Edition, networked wirelessly.

Thanks for your input.
    LTS

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    4.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Oops, forgot to ask the best way to completely get rid of ZoneAlarm Pro should I do that, so there is no problem downloading a different version?

Message Edited by NeedingHelp on 12-15-2007 01:27 PM

Default Re: Old, Old Pro version vs ZoneAlarm Free current version?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>NeedingHelp wrote:
    Hi,

On my laptop I have a VERY VERY old version of ZoneAlarm Pro that is no longer supported (4.5.585.000) that I have no problems with. Although it works well and it still blocks unwanted incoming/outgoing requests, etc., I'm wondering if I'm still well protected. This old Pro version has other options that the free version doesn't, but since it's so old perhaps the current free version may be better to have at this point? Can't afford to get another Pro version. I've been using the Free version on my desktop for quite some time without any problems. What is the best thing to do on my laptop?

Both computers Windows XP2 Home Edition, networked wirelessly.

Thanks for your input.
    LTS

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:4.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Oops, forgot to ask the best way to completely get rid of ZoneAlarm Pro should I do that, so there is no problem downloading a different version?

Message Edited by NeedingHelp on 12-15-2007 01:27 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    First thing I would recommend is make a Good Full Image backup of your Stable Laptop, so you can retore from a Backup if something goes wrong..To completely remove the old ZA Pro, I would First Download a Copy of a Newer version of ZAFree.. Preferable 6.5.737.000 From this Download link..http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlNext Go into the old ZAPro Overview?preferences and Uncheck "Load ZAPro on startup" and Reboot your laptop.. Now Uninstall ZAPro with these instructions..

Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    Reboot
    Now reinstall the ZA Free programGood Luck..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information