Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install ZASS under Windows Vista 32-bit (TrueVector related)

kldiver Guest

Default Re: Unable to install ZASS under Windows Vista 32-bit (TrueVector related)

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

<blockquote>

<hr>
    KLDiver wrote:

I do have a valid license key as I paid for the software, but I doubt I'd get any futher with ZA web-based tech support than I would here. Thanks for the advice, though.

<hr>
    </blockquote>
    Hi!
    you should neverthless contact ZA official support and explain in detail the issue and all remedies you have already tried.
    If ZA is not informed of the problem, it is unlikely that it will be fixed in the near future.

Cheers,
    Fax

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks....yeah, I already filled out the form and sent it along. I basically just referenced my post in this thread along with some additional info. Thanks again.

Default Re: Unable to install ZASS under Windows Vista 32-bit (TrueVector related)

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

yklee Guest

Hey fax, did you not have any slightest hiccup installing in Vista before?

Nope... working fine here...Fax

kldiver Guest

Default Re: Unable to install ZASS under Windows Vista 32-bit (TrueVector related) - SOLUTION

To yklee and anyone else still having trouble with this....I hope this solves the problem.

The following applies to the Windows 2000/XP/VISTA operating systems. READ THE ENTIRE POST!

SUMMARY

I'm getting a validation failed message.

NOTE: Be sure your computer is set to the correct date.

SOLUTION

In order to protect our software client from being tampered with, we sign
    our dll's. Every time a dll is loaded, we check if it has our certificate.

In order to do certificate checking, the machine needs to have a root
    certificate on it. If the root certificate in missing, we can't validate the dll and the client
    will not start.

We have determined that on systems with a validation error the root
    certificates were missing.

The Zone Labs client has 100% nothing to do with any kind of certificate
    removals and we can only assume that something malicious has removed them from
    effected machines.

The following 4 STEPS will fix your system if followed very closely.

STEP1: UNINSTALL ZONEALARM
    Please follow the steps below to manually uninstall ZoneAlarm from your
    system.
    Please make sure to follow the steps for whichever operating system you
    may have.
    After ZoneAlarm is uninstalled, please make sure you have all of the
    Windows Updates installed and run a complete virus scan on your system to make sure there
    is not a virus on the system. You can run a free virus scan from the link below.

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the &quot;F8&quot; key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
    06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    07.) Place a dot next to &quot;Show Hidden Files and Folders&quot;
    08.) Remove the check from &quot;Hide Protected Operating System Files
    (Recommended)&quot;
    09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    10.) Click OK
    11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
    the &quot;Show Files&quot; link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    14.) Close this window
    15.) Click Start, My Computer
    16.) Double Click the C:
    17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may say WinNT if you have
    Windows 2000)
    18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    21.) Right Click the file VSDataNT.sys click Delete, and choose Yes
    22.) Right Click the file VSUtil.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
    23.) Right Click the file VSInit.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
    24.) Restart the computer.

RESULT: Failed Installation

= An ERROR MSG stating I did not have access to make the required system modification changes. Also, please rerun the installation from and Administrators account.

= A second ERROR MSG stating that a file with a .tmp extension 'had stopped working'. Since this was a temporary file, I was too concerned about it.

List of Deleted Files:
    =====================

vsinit.dll vsmonapi.dll vsdata.dll vsxml.dll vsutil.dll vswmi.dll vspubapi.dll

zaSuite_Setup_en.exe zasuiteSetup_en.exe (ZoneAlarm Downloader)

ZoneLabs folder Internet Logs folder Internet Logs (188) folder

Windows====&gt;System32====&gt;Zone Labs folder : vsrule.dll vsmon.dll vsmon.exe vsmon.config.xml vsdb.dll vsavpro.dll ssleay32.dll
    plugins folder :
    rpc_server folder : manifest.xml rpc_server.dll
    vsmon_plugin folder: manifest.xml vsmon_plugin.dll

I made certain that all deleted files were digitally signed by Check Point Software.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************

A solution that worked for me, with a couple of caveats....

Summary

I need to completely remove ZoneAlarm, or there are remnants of
    ZoneAlarm on my system

Solution

If possible, first try to uninstall ZoneAlarm normally from your Start -&gt;
    Programs -&gt; ZoneAlarm menu. If this fails, or you want to ensure that all
    ZoneAlarm files were removed from the system properly, continue with the
    steps below.

Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded first:

http://www.zonealarm.com/trial

Follow steps 1 thru 20, outlined above.

21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are
    present:

- vsconfig.xml
    - vsxml.dll
    - vsregexp.dll
    - vsdata.dll
    - vsdata95.vxd
    - vsdatant.sys
    - vsmonapi.dll
    - vspubapi.dll
    - vsinit.dll
    - vsutil.dll
    - vswmi.dll
    - zlcommdb.dll
    - zlcomm.dll
    - zpeng24.dll

22.) Clear your Temp Directory, per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -&gt; Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

23.) Clear the Prefetch folder, per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -&gt; Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

NOTE: If you do not have the Run option on the Start menu, you can press
    and hold the Windows logo key and tap the letter R .

24.) Remove the necessary registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant

25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
    26.) Restart the computer.
    27.) Try to install the latest version again.

Notes:

In addition to the above registry entries, I also removed about 9 or 10 keys referring to ZoneAlarm, and/or Zone Labs from the following locations:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

One of the above steps also whacked my ethernet adapter. After following this process and rebooting, I had no internet connectivity. I simply jumped on an XP machine
    and downloaded the necessary drivers and reinstalled them. Needless to say, I wasn't real thrilled about it.

I installed the trial version - call me paranoid at this point - from the ADMIN account. As soon as the 15 day trial period box popped up, I cut and pasted my license
    key in, and, 4 days later, it was off to the races.

Good Luck!

Default Re: Unable to install ZASS under Windows Vista 32-bit (TrueVector related) - SOLUTION

Hi!thanks for this.. its a combination of what already suggested...The issue is that you need to completely remove any traces of ZA + an update of the root certificate.If the user have already performed what originally suggested it should have solved the problem...Or there is any special step in your instruction not mentioned before or that I have missed?Cheers,Fax

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>yklee wrote:
    Hey fax, did you not have any slightest hiccup installing in Vista before?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have installed ZAFree for Vista on both Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium with very few problems using the Default setting and allow two or three weeks for the SmartDefense to gather sufficient info ...The Known Problems with ZAFree and ZASS 7.1.078.000 for Vista..are Veryslow Bootup times,sometimes theShutdown can take 20 minutes if the ZA tray Icon has an Up arrows and a problems with the AV/AS Scan Times or slow to update the AV/AS definitions on some computers..Those problems have been fixed in the ZASS 7.1.218.000 Vista BETA..Here is a Forum Link to my recommended instruction for a installing ZA for Vista...http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=162IMHO, the MS VISTA OS is a different critter from the familiar WinXP OS..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.1.218.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.218.000
    Driver version:7.1.218.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:941970957
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3095
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version: 7.1.218.000 (Vista)
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro Beta
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3095
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

yklee Guest

Hmm, I will try again from the scratch some time later...just hope that the extended 'solution' isn't messed up as there is already a numbering mess up(eg. follow steps 1-20 above, but the above ended at 24 and step 20 is in the middle of something). I'm also concerned about the part that 'whacked the ethernet adapter'...KLDiver, could you look through your steps and order them more clearly?
    Thanks for the possible solution KLDiver, and dang, if only someone from ZA can verify those steps, on top of what was already recommended.
    What I couldn't understand is, I first tried installing ZoneAlarm before my other programs when I first finish installing the operating system, and those files should be 'fresh' off the pan....just dun understand why there could be a possibility that the root certificate in all possibilities could not be validated or whatever...
    Sorry, just a rant....20% of my mind is telling me to get another security program...80% of my mind is telling me otherwise...I still do not want to give up on this awesome product that has secured me for the past few years...also feeling unstable without means of protection, minimum windows firewall =.=
    Thanks guys...

kldiver Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

Hi!
    thanks for this.. its a combination of what already suggested...
    The issue is that you need to completely remove any traces of ZA + an update of the root certificate.

If the user have already performed what originally suggested it should have solved the problem...

Or there is any special step in your instruction not mentioned before or that I have missed?

Cheers,
    Fax

<blockquote><hr>yklee wrote:

Hmm, I will try again from the scratch some time later...just hope that the extended 'solution' isn't messed up as there is already a numbering mess up(eg. follow steps 1-20 above, but the above ended at 24 and step 20 is in the middle of something). I'm also concerned about the part that 'whacked the ethernet adapter'...KLDiver, could you look through your steps and order them more clearly?Thanks for the possible solution KLDiver, and dang, if only someone from ZA can verify those steps, on top of what was already recommended.What I couldn't understand is, I first tried installing ZoneAlarm before my other programs when I first finish installing the operating system, and those files should be 'fresh' off the pan....just dun understand why there could be a possibility that the root certificate in all possibilities could not be validated or whatever...Sorry, just a rant....20% of my mind is telling me to get another security program...80% of my mind is telling me otherwise...I still do not want to give up on this awesome product that has secured me for the past few years...also feeling unstable without means of protection, minimum windows firewall =.=Thanks guys...
    <hr></blockquote>
    </blockquote>

Hi fax,

Is this a combination of what has already been suggested? The simple answer is yes. I would say this solution contains some additional steps that I hadn't seen in anything I'd found in the forums, plus some things (registry changes) I did on my own. It also contains some changes to info I did find in previous posts. Why did I post both solutions? There are a few discrepancies between the two and, if there's a possibility that someone is struggling with the first, I'd like them to be able pick up with the second. For example, steps 21 thru 23 in solution #1 direct you to delete 3 files from the System32 folder. In solution #2, Step #21 directs the user to delete an additional 11 files.

New info: Solution #2: Step 21 - locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are present: already mentioned above. Some of these files I had never seen mentioned before.
    Step 22 - clear Temp directory: never saw this step in any previous post
    Step 23 - clear Prefetch folder: never saw this step in any previous post

Changed info: Step 24 - remove the necessary registry entries: here's an example of a change to a step from a previous post I found here on these boards:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

The above post directs the user to delete registry keys (i.e. the creation of zabegone.reg) that are different from those contained in this step. Needless to say, I followed all the instrux in that posting re the removal of ZASS from my system and still received validation errors. Also keep in mind, date posted was 8/06 - doubtful a workable solution for Vista.

As I mentioned in my post, I deleted some registry keys that I did not see mentioned anywhere. Did it make the difference? I have no idea. But I do know that this software is now running on my machine trouble free and I see all other machines on my network.

* I should mention here that it's possible one or more of these steps were included in posts that I did not find....the last thing I want is for another user to read this and then post a follow up scolding me about some 3 year old thread that said to remove your temp directory.

yklee,

At this point, I'm not sure which of us is the more bleary-eyed, but I do not see the numbering mess up you describe. For the sake of limiting the length of the post, I did not cut and paste steps 1 thru 20 a second time in Solution #2. You are correct in saying that Solution #1 ended at 24. Step 20 is not 'in the middle of something'. As is clearly stated, you delete the ZoneLabs folder. You then OMIT steps 21 thru 24 from Solution #1 and pick up with step 21 in Solution #2, deleting the appropriate files from the C:\Windows\System32 directory. Can I look through my steps and order them more clearly? Uh, no, I don't think that's possible!!!

I agree that losing internet connectivity is a concern. I'm not sure why this happened....I may have inadvertently deleted an .inf file from the System32 folder or something. Maybe my card shares a dll with ZA, but I doubt it. I just don't know. But it wouldn't hurt to download your driver and have it on hand. It's easy enough to fix if you have the file.

Finally, if it makes you feel any better, I worked with ZA tech support to come up with this solution (at Fax's suggestion), so I imagine they would give it their blessing.

I think you should give this a shot. I wouldn't have kept at it if I didn't think it was a superior product.

K

Hi KLDiver,thank you very much for your clarification.... very much appreciated :8}Have a nice weekend.Cheers,Fax

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information