Thread: Problems with installation

uncledobby Guest

Default Problems with installation

I have been running ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on my Mother in Law's computer.
    It continually causes problems.
    A reboot doesn't always solve the problem.
    It seems to manifest itself after an update is performed on Zonealarm.
    I have rebuilt the PC twice over this problem then it works for a while and then this nonsense starts happening and it gets into this crazy loop until it peeves you off enought to start from scratch again.
    When it blocks activity on the net, the system tray icon turns into a red square with a yellow cross.
    A reboot fixes the icon but as soon as you try to access the net in any application, you can't, and then the cross comes up again and tells you to reboot.
    I am at wit's end with this and appears that I have wasted the money for buying the product.
    I run the same product on my PC and it works fine - hence my recommendation to my mother in law.
    The XP Pro version is only running SP1.
    I have just loaded SP2 but left it downloading when I came home.
    I plan to go there tomorrow and reinstall ZA again.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or is SP2 going to solve my problems?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Problems with installation

Simple questions:For first time users of ZoneAlarm -[*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. The use of the Removal Tool does make a difference, instead of the Windows Add/Remove method. <hr>See &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    - see if you had followed most of the tips/ guidelines offered.<hr>If you post back again, please list any other security software, software monitors, etc. It helps us to know - as to what possible software conlicts can be a cause.<hr>Upgrading to XP SP2 is 'essential' = all by itself = the protection from the 'numerous' flaws, exploits and holes of Windows is pretty much a 'necessity'
    and it may take a bit of time upgrading to SP2 and getting all of the latest updates for it, too. Check with Microsoft website for proper instructions/ recommendations for it.<hr>After getting SP2 you may have to un-install the ZA you have now and then may need to re-install ZA with the use of the tips provided above.<hr><ul>[/list][/list]

Thread Information