Thread: ZA 7.0.462.000 Upgrade/Startup Issues on Win XP Home SP2

tedallen Guest

Default ZA 7.0.462.000 Upgrade/Startup Issues on Win XP Home SP2

After performing an Upgrade installation of ZA 7.0.462.000 on Win XP Home SP2, ZoneAlarm fails to start, continuously logging system messages in the event logs as follows:
    <blockquote>The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the following nonexistent service: Pml Driver
    </blockquote>If I look at services, the &quot;Pml Driver HPH11&quot; exists with a Startup Type of &quot;Manual&quot; and a Logon As of &quot;Local System&quot;.
    Even if I manually start the service, which starts successfully, ZoneAlarm still continues to log the previously mentioned error message to the system event log.
    If I then try to run the installation for an older version of ZoneAlarm (in this case it was 6.5.737.000), it states that a newer version is already installed and that if I continue my settings will be lost.
    I respond &quot;OK&quot; and then low and behold the currently installed version of ZoneAlarm v7.0.462.000 all of a sudden starts and my internet access comes to life.
    If I reboot, I am back in the same position and if I attempt an install of the older version the new version starts up and the installation of the older version seems to silently abort.
    Any assistance with what in the world is going on is greatly appreciated.
    I know in the past it was recommended to shut off AntiVirus software when performing installs, however, the AntiVirus installation on my system is locked such that I cannot disable realtime protection, however, I can unload the service.
    I did not do this prior to the ZoneAlarm 7.0.462.000 upgrade installation.
    I am also seeing some other odd behavior with long delays at boot time and when access disk management and disk defragmenter utilities, but these issues were occurring prior to the ZoneAlarm upgrade.
    However, they may have started when I attempted to upgrade ZoneAlarm to one of the earlier v7.x.xxx.xxx versions.
    Best Regards,
    Ted
    Best Regards,
    Ted Allen

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

melaniehopkins Guest

Default Re: ZA 7.0.462.000 Upgrade/Startup Issues on Win XP Home SP2

I have a similar problem with XP SP2 since latest windows updates installed (mid Dec)...
    When trying to upgrade to ZA 7.0.462.000 from ZA 7.0.408.000 the installer hangs indefinately after shuting down existing ZA, a reboot returns with the original version running OK.
    I have Kaspersky Anti Virus installed too, but thats it.
    Any one any ideas ?

prodad Guest

I have the exact same issue. Have tried to install 462 several times now. The install process begins, I accept the license agreement and click the INSTALL button, ZA shuts down then...nothing. Task manager shows nothing is happening. I'm trying to upgrade from 7.0.362.000 with XP SP2. I have no other virus or security programs running.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ProDad wrote:
    I have the exact same issue. Have tried to install 462 several times now. The install process begins, I accept the license agreement and click the INSTALL button, ZA shuts down then...nothing. Task manager shows nothing is happening. I'm trying to upgrade from 7.0.362.000 with XP SP2. I have no other virus or security programs running.Any suggestions are appreciated!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User forum..There are 4 Flavors of Zone Alarm available for WinXP and Three Flavors available for Vista, It would be helpful to us if you Mentioned which one your having a problem with..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.</COLOR>
    Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZAFree including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942105383
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3095
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tedallen Guest

Here is the information I obtain after right-clicking on the ZoneAlarm (ZA) icon in the system tray:
    <blockquote>ZoneAlarm version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000</blockquote>As stated in my original post, I am running Windows XP SP2 with Symantec Antivirus v10.1.4.4000 installed.
    I am unable to disable real-time protection because the installation is locked, however, I was able to unload the service, but I did this after the installation attempt.
    Also as previously mentioned, after rebooting I see nothing of ZA trying to start other than the errors in the system event logs regarding the absence of the required &quot;Pml Driver&quot; service.
    However, if I look in services I see &quot;Pml Driver HPH11&quot; is present but set for &quot;Manual&quot; startup.
    If I try to run the installation of the free version of ZA v6.5.737.000 to remove the free version of ZA v7.0.462.000, it actually ends up doing something that allows the v7.0.462.000 installation to finish starting and operating what seems to be normally.
    However, upon the very next reboot I am left in the same situation, with ZA v7.0.462.000 logging errors about the absence of the &quot;Pml Driver&quot; service.
    I seem to be in a catch 22.
    I found another thread that talked about issues upgrading from pre-v7 versions that recommended complete removal of the older version (including a number of manual edits to the registry) to completely get rid of the prior version of ZA before attempting installation of the newer version.
    If I don't find an answer soon I'll try that approach if I can get the misbehaving v7.0.462.000 installation removed.
    Best Regards,
    Ted

tedallen Guest

Hi GeorgeV,
    Here is the information I obtain after right-clicking on the ZoneAlarm (ZA) icon in the system tray:
    <blockquote>ZoneAlarm version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000</blockquote>As stated in my original post, I am running Windows XP SP2 with Symantec Antivirus v10.1.4.4000 installed.
    I am unable to disable real-time protection because the installation is locked, however, I was able to unload the service, but I did this after the installation attempt.
    I also have SpyBot Search &amp; Destroy 1.4, Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Build 1.06r1, PanicWare Pop-Up Stopper v3.1.1010, and Windows Defender v1.1.1593.0 installed.
    Also as previously mentioned, after rebooting I see nothing of ZA trying to start other than the errors in the system event logs regarding the absence of the required &quot;Pml Driver&quot; service.
    However, if I look in services I see &quot;Pml Driver HPH11&quot; is present but set for &quot;Manual&quot; startup.
    If I try to run the installation of the free version of ZA v6.5.737.000 to remove the free version of ZA v7.0.462.000, it actually ends up doing something that allows the v7.0.462.000 installation to finish starting and operating what seems to be normally.
    However, upon the very next reboot I am left in the same situation, with ZA v7.0.462.000 logging errors about the absence of the &quot;Pml Driver&quot; service.
    I seem to be in a catch 22.
    I found another thread that talked about issues upgrading from pre-v7 versions that recommended complete removal of the older version (including a number of manual edits to the registry) to completely get rid of the prior version of ZA before attempting installation of the newer version.
    I also see long delays when booting and during login as well as when attempting to activate the Disk Management and Disk Defragmenter utilities.
    I have ruled out hardware by restoring a Ghost image of one of my boot partitions (the Win XP Home partition) to a different disk drive and I still see the same delays.
    I also have a Win XP Pro boot partition on my primary drive along with a Dell diagnostic partition and a non-bootable data partition.
    I have a second physical disk drive consisting of a single partition that I use to house Ghost images and other backups of the primary disk partitions.
    If I don't find an answer soon I'll try that approach if I can get the misbehaving v7.0.462.000 installation removed.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    Ted

tedallen Guest

Just to clarify, the delays that I see attempting to access during boot, login, and when trying to run Disk Management and Disk Defragmenter may or may not be attributable to my attempts to upgrade ZoneAlarm, however, the delays do go away if I boot in Safe Mode (even with networking enabled), which of course only loads certain drivers and services.
    Best Regards,
    Ted

Melanie describes installation problems with ZoneAlarm [Pro?] on XP Home with Kaspersky AV.
    I had success
    going from ZAP
    7.0.408 to 7.0.462 using the &quot;vigorous turn-them-both-off&quot; method described
    in the referenced thread below.
    I've completed a &quot;Clean Install&quot; of ZAP 7.0.462. Restarted KAV and SpyBot S&amp;D TeaTimer in daily sequence without incident.

See Also This Thread

prodad Guest

I will do my best to provide more details here. Here is what is listed in the Product INfo tab:Security Suite ver 7.0.362.000Tru Vector security engine
    ver. 7.0.362.000Driver ver. 7.0.362.000Anti-virus engine ver 3, DAT file version 20070805085001Anti-spyware engine ver. 5.0.172.0, DAT file version 01.200701.795Anti-spam version 5.0.6.8903
    OS: XP SP2Dell Dimension 4600Pentium 4 - 3.06 GHzAs far as I know I have no other security software running of any type nor have I installed anything on this machine in the past. If there is something on here, then it is something installed by Dell or part of Windows. I have not had trouble making any upgrades with ZA since I first started using it right after I bought this machine 4 years ago.
    I did not start my own thread for this problem because the person I posted under was having the identical symptoms. I thought maybe having two people to compare might unveil a clue as to what the cause of the problem is.

Thread Information