Thread: Upgrade of ZAP with Kaspersky AV advice solicted

Default Upgrade of ZAP with Kaspersky AV advice solicted

I ve had success combining Kaspersky AntiVirus 7.0.0 (today at 7.0.0.125) and ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.408 under WIN XP SP2 Home since August of this year using the Kaspersky First strategy recommended by Kaspersky Forum.

I am now researching
    the upgrade of ZAP from 7.0.408 to 7.0.462. Plan on a vigorous turn them both off approach after ZAP download and sufficient reboots to verify neither
    is running before beginning ZAP upgrade or clean install. Will have downloaded KAV in case of untoward results, but expect no problems because this plan conforms to the Kaspersky First method.

Advice solicited.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Upgrade of ZAP with Kaspersky AV advice solicted

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cwhenske wrote:

I ve had success combining Kaspersky AntiVirus 7.0.0 (today at 7.0.0.125) and ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.408 under WIN XP SP2 Home since August of this year using the Kaspersky First strategy recommended by Kaspersky Forum.

I am now researchingthe upgrade of ZAP from 7.0.408 to 7.0.462. Plan on a vigorous turn them both off approach after ZAP download and sufficient reboots to verify neitheris running before beginning ZAP upgrade or clean install. Will have downloaded KAV in case of untoward results, but expect no problems because this plan conforms to the Kaspersky First method.

Advice solicited.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum...
    I agree with your Plan of Action.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...th_1way2go.gifI've used ZAPro and KAV 4.xx / 5.xx and 6.xx on two XP sp2 boxs for years..here are a Tips for a Smooth ZAPro Upgrade..1.) download the New ZAPro 7.0.462.000 from here.. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.htmlHere is a list of New Changes/Fixes in this Release.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gif<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Pro version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]2.) go into Overview/Preferences and Un-check "Load ZAPro on Startup" and Reboot computer to Unload TrueVector and vsmon.exe so they will not Conflict with the NEW version installed by ZAPro 7.0.4623.) Shut down KAV7 and if you have any 3rd party Ant-Spyware with "Registry Guard" or "Worm Guard", turn that off as it might prevent ZAPro Install from writing to the Registry during the Install process..4.) Install the new ZAPro, and allow the Default settings and Put your Network and IP in the Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..5.) Re-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup.." http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._1readthis.gifGood Luck and Please keep us posted on your progress..One last Note.. When was the last time you made a Current Backup of your Stable Setup? http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version: 7.1.218.000 (Vista)
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro Beta
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.3055
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Status Report on Upgrade of ZAP from 7.0.408 to 7.0.462.
    Using the &quot;vigorous turn-them-both-off&quot; method described above I've completed a &quot;Clean Install&quot; of ZAP 7.0.462. Restarted KAV and SpyBot S&amp;D TeaTimer in daily sequence without incident. Have now started ZAP Component Control.

Speed tests performed periodically
    before and during this &quot;upgrade&quot; show no signs of degradation.

Previous version's delay (non-CPU-using &quot;wait&quot; making mouse and UI inoperative or unresponsive in realtime)
    during some Component Control Pop-ups has not been seen with this version.
    Summary: No complications, no sequelae.
    Ha!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cwhenske wrote:
    Status Report on Upgrade of ZAP from 7.0.408 to 7.0.462.Using the "vigorous turn-them-both-off" method described above I've completed a "Clean Install" of ZAP 7.0.462. Restarted KAV and SpyBot S&amp;D TeaTimer in daily sequence without incident. Have now started ZAP Component Control. Speed tests performed periodicallybefore and during this "upgrade" show no signs of degradation. Previous version's delay (non-CPU-using "wait" making mouse and UI inoperative or unresponsive in realtime)during some Component Control Pop-ups has not been seen with this version.Summary: No complications, no sequelae. Ha!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1yahoo.gif
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Update on Upgrade of ZAP from 7.0.408 to 7.0.462 with KAV:

Running KAV s Web Anti-virus function requires that KAV (avp.exe) be allowed Server Rights via ZAP s Progam Control as we all know.
    I ve discovered, or relearned forgotten wisdom, that the ZAP s Progam Control for KAV for Server Internet must be checked , not left in ? state.
    If not checked, upon reboot the ZAP pop-up is suppressed and all outgoing internet connectivity is lost, requiring the removal of KAV from Program control to allow automatic reinstatement at which time the ZAP pop-up occurs and access can be allowed.
    So, write down KAV needs four green check marks in ZAP Program Control .
    I ve also marked KAV as &quot;Super Trusted&quot; and have added the ZAP parts to KAV s Trusted list, of course.
    So far, I ve seen no degradation in up or down internet speed.

Thread Information