Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to shutdown TrueVector service error

ruuu Guest

Default Unable to shutdown TrueVector service error

Wish I hadn't tried to update my ZA firewall today. I went through the same motions I've done for the past 3-4 years of using ZA, but during the install ... it froze at 15%. So after about 30 mins... I manually closed it.
    Figured I'd try it again... this time I downloaded the installer and then downloaded ZA directly to my desktop and tried installing from there.
    But now I have an error: "Setup is unable to shut down the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without shutting down the TrueVector Service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program."
    A few problems...
    I don't have ZA anywhere in my Programs lists. Apparently during that 15% install, it first uninstalled the previous version. This also means I don't have ZA in my system tray. I mention this because I saw a similar thread but ALL of the support/replies revolved around accessing ZA from the system tray or programs menu. In my case, it's not here.
    I tried to uninstall using Windows' Control Panel Add/Remove list... it's not there either.
    What are my options? Please and thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Unable to shutdown TrueVector service error

ruuu Guest

Thanks ... but the first step in the instructions is:

"Right click the ZoneAlarm systray icon and click Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center."

Not there.

Hi!

if you read carefully the instruction you may have noticed this text "....if you're unable to carry out this step because the icon is missing, you can skip it and proceed with the next steps, but in this case do them all in safe mode!"

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

diverjer Guest

I have the same problem, but posted solutions don't work.

I no longer have a listing for Zone Alarm in programs or in the control panel/add remove programs.

Was trying to load ZASS zaSuiteSetup_70_462_000_en.exe,

Running XP Pro with all the latest security patches, I do have a full image of the computer that is not to old. I sure have had a lot of problem since I left the old reliable free ZA.

diverjer Guest

I have the same problem this poster has, but there is no longer a listing in programs for ZA, nor is there a listing for add remove programs. Yet I get the same error when trying to update. Now this update went fine on my other computer.

Anyway as I said before the free (simpler version) was more reliable. Sometimes there is something to that keep it simple saying.

I am in the process of restoring an image from 11/15/2007, actually today may have been the first time since then that I started this computer up. It only around for sitting on the deck and surfing and in Kansas it's toooo cold for that.

Hi!if you have a TrueVector service error, it means you have still the truevector installed in your system.And if you have still the truevector in the system means you haven't followed the instruction to remove all ZA files in SAFE MODE or you did it but you have not actually removed the file.If the simple instruction did not work for you, you can try the long instructions where you need to remove the files one-by-one.Here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=75151#M75151Its important you do not rush into it but relax and do all the points in the document.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-19-2008 08:00 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>diverjer wrote:
    I have the same problem this poster has, but there is no longer a listing in programs for ZA, nor is there a listing for add remove programs. Yet I get the same error when trying to update. Now this update went fine on my other computer.

Anyway as I said before the free (simpler version) was more reliable. Sometimes there is something to that keep it simple saying.

I am in the process of restoring an image from 11/15/2007, actually today may have been the first time since then that I started this computer up. It only around for sitting on the deck and surfing and in Kansas it's toooo cold for that.
    <hr></blockquote>It's a good idea to have a Good image Backup when things go wrong..
    I agree with Guru Fax's advice..
    However here is another ZA Forum Link that may explain Bad uninstall problems for you..
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73798
    Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the &quot;About Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the &quot;Copy to Clipboard&quot; and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the &quot;CTRL-V&quot; key..
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942890490
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3175
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

diverjer Guest

I have everything going again on the backup PC. I restored with the image from 11/15/07 and then the ZASS update 7.0.462.000 went AOK. It did pause for ten minutes or so at 60% and svchost.exe was running around 65% of CPU. However all finished well. The only difference from the first failed attempt was I updated all the Microsoft updates first earlier. Because of the long time this computer was sitting, many things were trying to update and scan- all at the same time. I was trying to shut them all down, but must have missed something. This time I did the ZASS updates first. Then I updated all the other stuff and am now doing another image on an external drive.

I been retired going on five years now. I started as a computer programmer in 1968 or maybe it was 1967. I lived in LA then and it is a little blurred. Most of my PC time was in Novell, I was and still am certified as a Novell engineer, almost completed the Microsoft engineer, but we were too deep into Novell. I still like mainframes and assembly or COBOL best. I am so sick of PCs that I should just throw them all out the window.

Anyway I am sure I should know what this TrueVector is, but if I ever did it has went in the bit bucket. Can you point me in the right direction to learn what Truevector is?

Thanks You, Fax and Prof Fate for you reply.

Struggling old programmer Jer

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>diverjer wrote:
    I have everything going again on the backup PC. I restored with the image from 11/15/07 and then the ZASS update 7.0.462.000 went AOK. It did pause for ten minutes or so at 60% and svchost.exe was running around 65% of CPU. However all finished well. The only difference from the first failed attempt was I updated all the Microsoft updates first earlier. Because of the long time this computer was sitting, many things were trying to update and scan- all at the same time. I was trying to shut them all down, but must have missed something. This time I did the ZASS updates first. Then I updated all the other stuff and am now doing another image on an external drive.

I been retired going on five years now. I started as a computer programmer in 1968 or maybe it was 1967. I lived in LA then and it is a little blurred. Most of my PC time was in Novell, I was and still am certified as a Novell engineer, almost completed the Microsoft engineer, but we were too deep into Novell. I still like mainframes and assembly or COBOL best. I am so sick of PCs that I should just throw them all out the window.

Anyway I am sure I should know what this TrueVector is, but if I ever did it has went in the bit bucket. Can you point me in the right direction to learn what True Vector is?

Thanks You, Fax and Prof Fate for you reply.

Struggling old programmer Jer
    <hr></blockquote>Thank you for your Feedback..
    I'm glad to hear that things went better for you this time..
    and Making another image Backup is a good idea.. I use the Son, Father Grandfather method, You can't have too many Backups,
    if you take a look at &quot;vsmon.exe&quot; in Task Manager
    that is the TrueVector service
    ... it is the first thing that loads into Memory as a Service when your computer first Boots up long before the GUI Z icon is displayed in the system tray, and it is the Last service to shut down when your Computer shuts down so that your Computer is always protected as long as the Computer is running..
    [ Soap box ON ]
    I started programing Fortran in 1966 on a Main frame Sperry Univack Computer that looked like a left over from a 1950's Sifi movie
    Large wall of Tape Drives full of Test tubes and a 8 foot lwide Keyboard of Lighted Keys and 1000's of Blinking lights and the Results was printed on on a ticker tape or 80 column IBM Punch cards..
    then later I programed in COBAL on a PDP-11 and a CDC 6400 MainFrame Torris System at UT Austin that looked like the HAL 9000 in &quot;2001 a Space Odescy&quot;

Here is Some ome Advice from another Guru GeorgeV..
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942904602
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3175
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast