Thread: Free ZoneAlarm Firewall won't install

driveto Guest

Default Free ZoneAlarm Firewall won't install

Hello,
    Since yesterday I was using the free ZoneAlarm firewall without any problems, but then I tried to update and I got an error message, informing me the following: "The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application". Apparently the ZoneAlarm firewall was installed (as it is listed in my programs list), but I am unable to start it, because I'm getting the very same error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Anti-virus software: Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Free ZoneAlarm Firewall won't install

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>driveto wrote:
    Hello,
    Since yesterday I was using the free ZoneAlarm firewall without any problems, but then I tried to update and I got an error message, informing me the following: "The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application". Apparently the ZoneAlarm firewall was installed (as it is listed in my programs list), but I am unable to start it, because I'm getting the very same error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Anti-virus software: Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you downloadedZAFree or any version of Zone Alarm and despite your best efforts have been unable to use it.On Windows XP Pro are you running SP2? If you are not then your OS has vulnerabilities, best to always do the Windows OS updatesIf you used a download manager or web accelerator this could be the cause of your problem. If your answer is yes,go back and download again, not using a download manager, not using a web accelerator,andusing IE6 or IE7 browser (not recommended to use another browser than Internet Explorer). Save the download toyour desktop. Also, when downloading, especially if dialup, close out all other apps and just let the computer download ZAFree. Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup" then Reboot Computer to Remove TrueVector from Memory then Disconnect Computer from the internet and thenuninstall previous downloaded version of ZAFree or other version of ZA..
    To remove ZoneAlarm completely from your computer in case normal uninstall can t be run or doesn t run properly, do the following:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103THEN you can reinstall Zone Alarm..
    Hope this helps you,
    Please Keep us posted with your Feedback on your progress..

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 01-15-2008 07:03 AM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

colinpym Guest

Free zone alarm won't run after installation. There is a message reffering to 0xc0000142.
    What can be done to solv this problem.
    I have XP PR0 on my PC.

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>ColinPym wrote:
    Free zone alarm won't run after installation. There is a message reffering to 0xc0000142.
    What can be done to solv this problem.
    I have XP PR0 on my PC.
    <hr></blockquote>Here is a ZA Forum Link
    on ZAFree Problem Solutions that may help..
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=75319

driveto Guest

Thank you for the suggestions (and for the record, I have SP2 on my machine), but the problem persists.
    I did the following:
    - uninstalled ZoneAlarm Free by the method described on the page you linked to;
    - downloaded the installation package (using IE 7);
    - ran it, chose &quot;download&quot; and not &quot;download and install&quot;;
    - shut down all applications, disconnected from the internet, ran &quot;zaZA_Setup_en.exe&quot;
    - program installs, then after copying the files to the ZoneLabs-folder I get &quot;The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application&quot;. Same when I try to run the program from its folder.

I ran a google search on &quot;0x0000142&quot; and got many hits, but the only somewhat related hint was this:

&quot;This is due to the new advanced program control feature. If a program tries to use CreateProcess and ZoneAlarm stops it, you get this error. Go to the program control tab, click the programs tab, right click explorer, select options and check &quot;Allow application integration&quot;.&quot;

from here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t252196.html (scroll down, near bottom of page)

What is this supposed to mean? Does it have any relevance? I couldn't find such an option.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>driveto wrote:
    Thank you for the suggestions (and for the record, I have SP2 on my machine), but the problem persists.
    I did the following:
    - uninstalled ZoneAlarm Free by the method described on the page you linked to;
    - downloaded the installation package (using IE 7);
    - ran it, chose "download" and not "download and install";
    - shut down all applications, disconnected from the internet, ran "zaZA_Setup_en.exe"
    - program installs, then after copying the files to the ZoneLabs-folder I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application". Same when I try to run the program from its folder.

I ran a google search on "0x0000142" and got many hits, but the only somewhat related hint was this:

"This is due to the new advanced program control feature. If a program tries to use CreateProcess and ZoneAlarm stops it, you get this error. Go to the program control tab, click the programs tab, right click explorer, select options and check "Allow application integration"."

from here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t252196.html (scroll down, near bottom of page)

What is this supposed to mean? Does it have any relevance? I couldn't find such an option.

Cheers
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Pleasetake a look atthis from Microsoft Support - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838857 <HR>Microsoft has about 131 instances with "(0xc0000142)" - http://search.microsoft.com/results....;q=(0xc0000142) with various software/ hardware environments, I would refer you to ZA Tech Support but it's not a Free service for the ZAFree version..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942626319
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3155
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

findley Guest

driveto,

Have a look at this thread
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=73933

specifically the solution which worked for user djcovarrubias.

Maybe this will help you

Regards,
    Findley

Message Edited by Findley on 01-15-2008 10:17 AM

driveto Guest

Ok, thanks everybody for your help, and indeed, I found some spyware and trojans on my PC, but it didn't help either. Therefore I installed a **bleep** firewall, to keep me somewhat safe. Maybe I'll try ZoneAlarm in a few months, maybe it has something to do with the newest version.

Cheers

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>driveto wrote:
    Ok, thanks everybody for your help, and indeed, I found some spyware and trojans on my PC, but it didn't help either. Therefore I installed a **bleep** firewall, to keep me somewhat safe. Maybe I'll try ZoneAlarm in a few months, maybe it has something to do with the newest version.

Cheers
    <hr></blockquote>Hi driveto,Sorry to hear it did not work out for you.
    Good luck with your **bleep** firewall.
    When I read your post about &quot;found some spyware and trojans&quot; I wondered what you used and if your computer
    is clean?
    One piece of security software cannot find everything given the state of things these days.
    Safe surfing to you and best of luck whatever your firewall choice.
    I would also add that other users who have been unable to
    install the latest version of ZA free have opted to revert to older versions.
    Best regards,Findley

driveto Guest

Well, I got SuperAntiSpyware, and ran it, after that I used Lavasoft AdAware Personal, and at last, I ran my Avira Antivir. I thought that was enough.
    My new firewall seems solid enough, but I'll be able to tell after a few months of use if it is any good. Then, maybe, I'll revert to ZoneAlarm.

Cheers

Thread Information