Thread: Vista blue screen cause clues

seslabaugh Guest

Default Vista blue screen cause clues

Hi, I am throwing my experience out for general information and discussion. If I have serious problems in the future, I will post it here.

I have a new pc, cranked it up 2 weeks ago:
    - Compaq Presario SR5250NX, 1Gb ram, 1.6Ghz speed
    - OS, Vista Home Premium, 32 bit OS, OS updates completely up-to-date,
    - Windows Defender,
    - Windows Firewall,
    - AVG anti-virus 7.5
    - ZoneAlarm Firewall 7.1.078 Free

When I installed ZoneAlarm, the Vista Windows Firewall was running. So during the install I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I'm guessing that the Windows Firewall might have caused a conflict and the blue screen!

Rebooted the machine and got another blue screen of death,
    Rebooted the machine again and got another blue screen of death.

On the third reboot, I chose the "network" option and this time it finished booting up, but ZA wasn't running. I pondered the situation for a moment, found that I had no web access, so I started ZA, and PRESTO it started up properly!

So now I have vista up and running, everything looks normal, everything seems to be working just fine. Windows defender is running, Windows Firewall is turned off, apparently by ZA during one of its startups.

My tentative conclusion is that if I had turned Windows Firewall OFF BEFORE installing ZA, it might just have started up then!

I will report back shortly, after I have rebooted again successfully (I should make some data backups before rebooting).

SES

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Vista blue screen cause clues/ Windows firewall still on

Thanks for your report. I can confirm, that I have heard this type of situation happening here a few times; under normal circumstances ZA "should" shut down windows firewall during install - but sometimes it doesn't. I have heard of one case where a
    user had checked the status of 'windows firewall' being turned off- but when he checked again in "another" method - it was still on- he eventually shut it off - and all is well. Thanks for your report - nice details - clear
    and simple.<hr>And it 'would have been' better if you had temporarily shut off Windows Defender's &quot;real-time protective&quot; features / or just temporarily shut it all off just prior to new ZA install.http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73617<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 1-22-08 - All
    Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information