Thread: After ZASS 7.0.462.000 Upgrade &Clean Install Three disk related programs freeze up...

gamick Guest

Default After ZASS 7.0.462.000 Upgrade &Clean Install Three disk related programs freeze up...

Dell Dimension 4700, Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates, 4 gig RAM, Intel Pentium 4/
    GHz Processor,
    500 gig storage, no other security software but ZASS.
    Saw the notification new version of ZASS available and upgraded to 7.0.462.000 from 7.0.337.000.

Everything seemed fine.
    Started to notice Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director would freeze when scanning the disk partitions before opening the user interface.
    Couple days later (after reinstalling both of the above apps w/o any luck) I ran my O&O Defrag and it also froze.
    After several attempts that did open but kept finding a disc error.
    Ran check disk in safe mode and from System Restore on the XP CD and found no errors.
    Next a new music editing software I installed started by checking out my partitions and froze.
    Make a long story a little more bearable, at that time I didn't associate the ZASS upgrade with my problems-- thought it was Acronis.
    Reformatted disk and started from scratch.
    Installed all drivers and nothing else.
    Started with ZASS install as I always do to protect my system when I first connect with the Internet.
    Seemed okay.
    Installed more programs, when I got to anothere program that had to scan the disk before starting it FROZE.
    Bottom line it was the new ZASS
    7.0.462.000 upgrade.
    Reformatted and reinstalled XP again with the previous, 7.0.337.000 version.
    Everything works fine and I have reinstalled all software with no problems.
    Is this going to be fixed in the next release?
    I see the same problems with Roxio GOBack users.
    Why does ZASS need to screw with scanning the drives and partitons?
    There were virtually no feature additions in this last update so it should be easy to track down what your programmers broke since 7.0.337.000 and fix it.
    A lot of these issues like PC freezing on boot screen and others
    is repeated over and over again all over the forum.
    I've been using ZASS since 5.5 and almost every upgrade is a disaster in some way and I end up reinstalling everything from scratch.
    I bought Acronis True Image so I could just rollback to before messes like this but now ZASS prevents True Image from working.
    The problem is not any other software, any drivers and any hardware--
    all of which worked fine with the last ZASS version.
    Plain and simple, it is ZASS again.
    After this round of frustration I am definitely going to try Norton 360 or whatever it's called.
    It's getting reviews equal or superior to ZASS in many articles and forums.
    If it **bleep**s at least now I will be able to restore my previous image and get back to where everything is working again with the older ZASS.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: After ZASS 7.0.462.000 Upgrade &Clean Install Three disk related programs freeze up...

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gamick wrote:
    Dell Dimension 4700, Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates, 4 gig RAM, Intel Pentium 4/2.8 GHz Processor, 500 gig storage, no other security software but ZASS.Saw the notification new version of ZASS available and upgraded to 7.0.462.000 from 7.0.337.000. Everything seemed fine. Started to notice Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director would freeze when scanning the disk partitions before opening the user interface. Couple days later (after reinstalling both of the above apps w/o any luck) I ran my O&amp;O Defrag and it also froze. After several attempts that did open but kept finding a disc error. Ran check disk in safe mode and from System Restore on the XP CD and found no errors. Next a new music editing software I installed started by checking out my partitions and froze. Make a long story a little more bearable, at that time I didn't associate the ZASS upgrade with my problems-- thought it was Acronis. Reformatted disk and started from scratch. Installed all drivers and nothing else. Started with ZASS install as I always do to protect my system when I first connect with the Internet. Seemed okay. Installed more programs, when I got to anothere program that had to scan the disk before starting it FROZE. Bottom line it was the new ZASS 7.0.462.000 upgrade. Reformatted and reinstalled XP again with the previous, 7.0.337.000 version. Everything works fine and I have reinstalled all software with no problems.Is this going to be fixed in the next release? I see the same problems with Roxio GOBack users. Why does ZASS need to screw with scanning the drives and partitons? There were virtually no feature additions in this last update so it should be easy to track down what your programmers broke since 7.0.337.000 and fix it. A lot of these issues like PC freezing on boot screen and othersis repeated over and over again all over the forum. I've been using ZASS since 5.5 and almost every upgrade is a disaster in some way and I end up reinstalling everything from scratch. I bought Acronis True Image so I could just rollback to before messes like this but now ZASS prevents True Image from working. The problem is not any other software, any drivers and any hardware--all of which worked fine with the last ZASS version. Plain and simple, it is ZASS again. After this round of frustration I am definitely going to try Norton 360 or whatever it's called. It's getting reviews equal or superior to ZASS in many articles and forums. If it **bleep**s at least now I will be able to restore my previous image and get back to where everything is working again with the older ZASS.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..I used both Acronis True Image 10 and O&amp;O Defrag 10 Build 1634 very often with no problem with ZASS for XP or Vista Ultimate

It sounds like your ZA Database may be corrupted

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together then

2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Here is a list of the Changes and Improvements to ZASS 7.0.462.000 English<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.408.000 name=7.0.408.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.408.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements in system startup and shutdown, antivirus, spysite loading, the update client, and more. <LI>Stability improvements during antivirus scans, uninstall, while shutting down, and more. <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issues with Project 2007, Bit Torrent, and Logitech Webcam. <LI>Antivirus enhancements (in Suite and Antivirus products only): New scan priority for on-demand antivirus scans. <LI>Various usability and other improvements. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.362.000 name=7.0.362.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.362.000<UL class=body><LI>Antivirus enhancements: Enables email scanning and fixes issue where memory scans could not be skipped. <LI>Stability enhancements: Various improvements including better Outlook stability working with ZoneAlarm's anti-spam and better stability while using privacy features. <LI>Compatibility enhancements: Works better with Outlook and Netflix's Downloading service. <LI>Performance enhancements: Better anti-spam performance, fixed occasional hang during AV updates, addressed issues with hourly updates stealing focus from some applications and games.</LI>[/list]

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000

TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943198717
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3205
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gamick Guest

Default Re: After ZASS 7.0.462.000 Upgrade &Clean Install Three disk related programs freeze up...

First, thank you very much for such an incredibly quick response.
    I've never gotten an answer that quick even from PAID support
    anywhere else. You guys run
    a darn good board.
    I'd say a &quot;d+a+m+n&quot; good board but
    the word &quot;s-u-c-k-s&quot; was **bleeped** on my last post.
    I had no idea my language was quite that bad (what, no smilies?!)

My 337 install was working fine with no issues before the upgrade to 462 so the database would have been fine.
    On the first and second clean install I had no database-- no backup--to restore.
    I always start fresh because it gives me the chance to put better settings in place that I've
    discovered since my last install without going back and changing each
    'thing' individually.
    Same builds here on the Acronis products.
    I have had no issues either until this upgrade of ZASS-- everything else stayed the same.
    On the first clean install with whole new OS etc., with nothing in my machine but drivers and Acronis TI.
    the new ZASS was the
    next thing I installed (after Roboform) and the issue began then.
    On the second clean install I made
    the adjustment and installed

Acronis True Image and tested it just with the OS and it worked fine.
    Installed ZASS and TI froze up during the message that says &quot;Processing, please wait...&quot; just like was happening before.
    ZASS had a new, clean database like the first clean install.
    On my third and (thank god) FINAL clean install I used version 337 and did an image after evey three or four software installs all the way to the end-- including
    settings of all programs
    and the registry tweaks I have use for years.
    Everything works fine-- and a side benefit-- I can now restore my system back to 13 places along the install 'trail'
    right back to XP only-- one with and one without the drivers.
    I do a lot of beta testing for MS, Acronis, Tennebril and a few minor type programs.
    You seem to have put
    a few miles on the keyboard yourself.
    I did detailed, repetitive troubleshooting on this issue and ran all the tests 'ol Olog at Acronis had me do as well.
    Taking all the variables out with clean installs and images before the ZASS upgrade to be able to go back to I am thinking I pretty well covered my bases and have arrived at the right conclusion.
    If you have any other ideas after this response I would really like to get your input.
    I have all the images-- before and after where I can reproduce the problem and 'cure' it at will (thank goodness for big, cheap 500 gig hard drives).
    In fact I'm so paranoid (actually angry) now I setup system restore to do a restore point every hour-- 24 hours a day, True Image does a full image of the 'C' partitiion every three hours and I save the last one of the week each week, the last one of the month each month along with my new &quot;OS Only&quot; and &quot;OS w/drivers only&quot; and each image along the way to a total install w/ everything.
    I think I'm protected at this point but I've said that before!
    Thanks again for everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>gamick wrote:
    First, thank you very much for such an incredibly quick response. I've never gotten an answer that quick even from PAID supportanywhere else. You guys runa darn good board. I'd say a "d+a+m+n" good board but the word "s-u-c-k-s" was **bleeped** on my last post.I had no idea my language was quite that bad (what, no smilies?!)My 337 install was working fine with no issues before the upgrade to 462 so the database would have been fine. On the first and second clean install I had no database-- no backup--to restore. I always start fresh because it gives me the chance to put better settings in place that I'vediscovered since my last install without going back and changing each'thing' individually.Same builds here on the Acronis products. I have had no issues either until this upgrade of ZASS-- everything else stayed the same. On the first clean install with whole new OS etc., with nothing in my machine but drivers and Acronis TI. the new ZASS was thenext thing I installed (after Roboform) and the issue began then. On the second clean install I madethe adjustment and installedAcronis True Image and tested it just with the OS and it worked fine. Installed ZASS and TI froze up during the message that says "Processing, please wait..." just like was happening before. ZASS had a new, clean database like the first clean install.On my third and (thank god) FINAL clean install I used version 337 and did an image after evey three or four software installs all the way to the end-- includingsettings of all programsand the registry tweaks I have use for years. Everything works fine-- and a side benefit-- I can now restore my system back to 13 places along the install 'trail'right back to XP only-- one with and one without the drivers.I do a lot of beta testing for MS, Acronis, Tennebril and a few minor type programs. You seem to have puta few miles on the keyboard yourself. I did detailed, repetitive troubleshooting on this issue and ran all the tests 'ol Olog at Acronis had me do as well. Taking all the variables out with clean installs and images before the ZASS upgrade to be able to go back to I am thinking I pretty well covered my bases and have arrived at the right conclusion. If you have any other ideas after this response I would really like to get your input. I have all the images-- before and after where I can reproduce the problem and 'cure' it at will (thank goodness for big, cheap 500 gig hard drives). In fact I'm so paranoid (actually angry) now I setup system restore to do a restore point every hour-- 24 hours a day, True Image does a full image of the 'C' partitiion every three hours and I save the last one of the week each week, the last one of the month each month along with my new "OS Only" and "OS w/drivers only" and each image along the way to a total install w/ everything. I think I'm protected at this point but I've said that before!Thanks again for everything.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...th_1coffee.gif Thank you for your Feedback.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...th_1way2go.gifI've been dealing with MainFrame and PC Computers for 40 years.. and Beta Testing various software for 35 Years including running a Public BBS Bulletin Board Service for 18 yearsWhen Long Distance Dial up access was the Only Option before the public access to the Internet.. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o..._AV-helpMe.jpg
    Yuo might take a gander at the Helpful Links and Tips section of the Forum..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.1.247.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.247.000
    Driver version:7.1.247.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943217285
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version: 7.1.247.000 (Vista)
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro Beta
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3205--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943217285
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security