Thread: Anti-Virus will not run / Anti-Virus disabled

ggavaghan Guest

Default Anti-Virus will not run / Anti-Virus disabled

The problem....

I am having trouble with my ZA Anti-Virus disabling itself, apparently due to the clock's time being changed. The message reads...

"Anti-Virus is de-activated. This can occur if the system clock has been set forward or anti-virus updates are disabled."

The clock was updated by me manually because this particular installation of Windows doesn't do it automatically, so I adjusted it.....a whopping 2 minutes. As for the updates, not only is auto-update enabled, forcing an update reports everything is up-to-date.

Additional rantings on this issue....

Now it just didn't seen reasonable to me that such a small adjustment to the time could cause this, but it was also just a little too coincidental for my taste (I update the time - Anti-Virus shuts down. Hmmmmmm). So I come to the forums to see whats up, and what do i find? This thread...

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=75213

Being a software developer of 27 yrs myself, I found the response given by ZA just about as lame as they come. Not only was there no suggestion for corrective measures ever made in the entire thread (unless suggesting the user switch to Unix is a corrective measure), the guru attempted to dodge ZA's responsibility for the known security [ feature / flaw ] causing the problem. I quote a response from guru-fax...

"Hi!
    Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that the expiring antipiracy code is embedded into the SDK KAV engine (antivirus engine by Kaspersky), so for your information, ZA should not be blamed entirely for this issue. ..."

I'm sorry, but who exactly is it that should be sharing the blame FOR THE SOFTWARE WE PAID *YOU* FOR? Is it Kaspersky because they are forcing CheckPoint to use their engine? Is it the users because everyone voted on the software's design (and I guess I just didn't get the memo)? Please, spare me the finger pointing and try provide real assistance.

Then again, maybe I have it all wrong. Maybe I should be contacting Kaspersky for help with this, after all it is their engine. HEY, here's an idea : ZA could just list all of their 3rd party suppliers and vendors in the HELP section so the users can go right to the source when we have problems.

In closing...

I have been using ZA for many years starting with the free version and eventually purchasing (multiple) 3-license packs of the Pro Suite some time ago. Although ZA has always had it quirks, it was rarely disabling, and when it was, help was forthcoming here in the forums. Now however I must agree with jayce (poster of the above thread) in that there have been some changes at ZA in recent years (more so lately), and they have not all been for the better.

Long and short of it, even if I manage to get my current installation of ZA working again, I believe I will probably take guru-fax's suggestion and find another package to use before too long. Lol - In retrospect, I guess fax's advice to fix the problem wasn't half bad.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ggavaghan Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus will not run / Anti-Virus disabled

My apologies. I got so caught up in my response, I neglected to provide some key information.

Other security software running : None.

ZA Security Suite v7.0.462.000
    TruVector engine v7.0.462 (which also refuses to run - but which I was willing to deal with)
    Anti-Spyware engine v3, DAT v943087952
    Anti-Spyware engine v5.0.189.0, DAT v1.100801.3225
    Anti-Spam v5.0.6.8903

Hi!Do you actually need support with a ZA product? It is not clear from your message if you resolved the issue or if you just posting here about responses you did not like or solutions that did not work. Please note that this is a USER forum, ZA staff is not monitoring this board. We are all users here.If you have a valid license you can contact free of charge the ZAtechnical supportat: www.zonelabs.com/tsform I am sure they will be able to helping you.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ggavaghan wrote:
    My apologies. I got so caught up in my response, I neglected to provide some key information.

Other security software running : None.

ZA Security Suite v7.0.462.000
    TruVector engine v7.0.462 (which also refuses to run - but which I was willing to deal with)
    Anti-Spyware engine v3, DAT v943087952
    Anti-Spyware engine v5.0.189.0, DAT v1.100801.3225
    Anti-Spam v5.0.6.8903
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

ggavaghan Guest

<blockquote><hr>GeorgeV wrote:

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gifto the Zone Alarm User Forum..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..

Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your Computer Monitor.

<hr></blockquote>

You are correct. I still left off a considerable amount of information that would be needed to even start diagnosing the problem. However, the PC that I was discussing no longer has ANY internet connectivity (LAN is fine, but no Internet traffic is making it through) and all efforts, including the removal of ZA and removal/reinstall/replacement of the Network card(s) and drivers, have had no effect. The other PCs on the LAN (an additional two work stations and a Server) are having no trouble communication over the LAN or Internet, and one of these workstations is running the same edition of ZA as the one that is failing.

Now it is beginning to look like a complete reinstall may be my only option at this point, though I still have one or two tricks to try. My visit here was originally intended for 'information-harvesting' on the problem, but when I found that thread (noted in my original message), well it basically just ticked me off. So posting my similar issue was half asking for help, and half me poking fax in the eye for being what I believe the English refer to as a 'Cheeky-little-b******'.

So while I was in fact looking for assistance, I no longer require it. I thank you for taking the time to follow up on this, but as of right now it is a non-issue. I have decided to take fax's advice, so ZA will not be getting reinstalled on the new system, therefor no 'solution' is required.

And just to point out an observation, I noticed that both you (GeorgeV) and fax made sure to point out that you are 'volunteers'. Thank you. Really. Volunteers are generally under appreciated, so I want you to know that I do appreciate the real value volunteers provide. But being a volunteer doesn't give you the right to get snippy.

An honest question was asked by someone (like me) just looking for a little guidance. It's called 'support', it's not fun, you have to deal with all kinds of idiots (like me), and the only 'reward' (since you ARE a volunteer) is when you actually help someone fix a problem and they say 'thanks'. I can appreciate that. But if you are unable to perform the duties you volunteered for without belittling, insulting, or suggesting the person go elsewhere, then DON'T volunteer for the job. It's basically a thanks, but NO thanks situation.

I am sure there will be more than one colorful post in reply to this, it's too bad I won't be coming back to read them. I will be trashing my 3 brand new (345 days left) valid licenses of ZA Security Suite in favor of a comparable product with a more friendly support structure. Which reminds me - while I could have gone directly to the registered -users tech-support for help, the reason I came here first was that traditionally these forums provided enough help in themselves to fix most problems (I mean why waste a tech's time when the problem can be fixed just as easily from here by reading a couple of posts, right? Isn't that one of the main reasons these forums exist?).

So good luck, have fun, and don't take any wooden-nickels. I'm gone.

Hi!again, this is not a chatting board or a complaining board. You posted here referring to another post and complained about it... not sure what was exactly your problem nor why you took it personal.You are welcome to post messages about problems with ZA, this the objective of this board. But there is little value or use to complain about not getting helped while you don't want help.Please feel free to create a new message if you need support with ZA products, many ZA users are here to try to help, sometime it is easy sometime itis not.If you would like to do so, please post as much details as possible about your issue and what already your tried to fix it.As already mentioned in my previous message, you can contact free of charge the ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform I am closing this thread since it has lost is usefulness and the OP seems not looking for ZA support.Thank you inadvance for your understanding.Regards,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information