Thread: Hangs up after install

aleelee Guest

Default Hangs up after install

I just purchased ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
    I have used the free version before (on this computer, with the same setup), and was looking for a new firewall, so when I got an email with a good deal on ZA, I went straight ahead and purchased it without re-trying it again.
    Boy was that a mistake.
    First, I am running Windows XP Media
    with all updated service packs and security updates.
    I use Nod32 for antivirus, Superantispyware, and Winpatrol.
    I was using **bleep**, but uninstalled and rebooted before I installed ZA.
    I also closed out all other security software before installing ZA.

The install seemed to be flawless.
    It installed, I got the welcome screen,
    entered my reg. code and was asked to reboot.
    I rebooted, ZA loads up, the ZA window opens up, and a small window saying that the ZA antivirus is not enabled and do I want to enable it.
    I like Nod32, and wanted to continue using it, so I disabled the ZA antivirus during install.
    That's as far as I get.
    I can't click on the button to not enable the antivirus, nor can I click on anthing in the ZA window.
    It won't close out, I can't disable the firewall from the task bar.
    It's like it just freezes up.
    It shows as running in the task manager, but refuses to close with the task manager as well.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times now to no avail.
    I even uninstalled Nod and reinstalled ZA afterwards to see if that was the problem, but it still happens.
    ZA just freezes up.
    I even installed it and allowed the antivirus to load up after uninstalling Nod and that didn't work either.
    I didn't get the antivirus warning window, but the ZA window opens up on start up and freezes.

I
    hope someone can
    help me figure this out, I
    really want to use ZA.
    I
    looked around the forums to see if anyone else has experienced this, but didn't notice any threads with this problem.
    It has to be something on my computer causing the hang up, but I can't imagine what that could be.
    I closed
    out everything, and even uninstalled Nod32 and still have the same issue.
    Thanks,
    Alisha

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Hangs up after install

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>aleelee wrote:
    I just purchased ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I have used the free version before (on this computer, with the same setup), and was looking for a new firewall, so when I got an email with a good deal on ZA, I went straight ahead and purchased it without re-trying it again. Boy was that a mistake.First, I am running Windows XP Mediawith all updated service packs and security updates. I use Nod32 for antivirus, Superantispyware, and Winpatrol. I was using **bleep**, but uninstalled and rebooted before I installed ZA. I also closed out all other security software before installing ZA.The install seemed to be flawless. It installed, I got the welcome screen, entered my reg. code and was asked to reboot. I rebooted, ZA loads up, the ZA window opens up, and a small window saying that the ZA antivirus is not enabled and do I want to enable it. I like Nod32, and wanted to continue using it, so I disabled the ZA antivirus during install. That's as far as I get. I can't click on the button to not enable the antivirus, nor can I click on anthing in the ZA window. It won't close out, I can't disable the firewall from the task bar. It's like it just freezes up. It shows as running in the task manager, but refuses to close with the task manager as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times now to no avail. I even uninstalled Nod and reinstalled ZA afterwards to see if that was the problem, but it still happens. ZA just freezes up. I even installed it and allowed the antivirus to load up after uninstalling Nod and that didn't work either. I didn't get the antivirus warning window, but the ZA window opens up on start up and freezes.Ihope someone canhelp me figure this out, Ireally want to use ZA. Ilooked around the forums to see if anyone else has experienced this, but didn't notice any threads with this problem. It has to be something on my computer causing the hang up, but I can't imagine what that could be. I closedout everything, and even uninstalled Nod32 and still have the same issue.Thanks,Alisha

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

Here is two ZA forum Links that may help solve your problem..

http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943434522
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3225
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

aleelee Guest

Hi GeorgeV, thanks for the suggestions.
    I tried them both, but unfortunately, that didn't work.
    I had to go into my registry and delete all
    Zonealarm/zonelabs folders and Symantec folders, the uninstall from Symantec's site still left folders in the registry.
    Then I downloaded the free version of Zonealarm.
    After the free version loaded correctly, I entered in my key and it seems to have worked.
    So far, so good, ZA is running smoothly and no conflicts *knocks on wood*.:8}
    edit to add:
    I downloaded CCleaner from one of the links you
    had in your
    and it cleared up a
    Java issue I had been having!
    Thanks for the recommendation!

Message Edited by aleelee on 01-29-2008 01:58 AM

Hi!
    latest version of ZASS 7 comes with Kaspersky engine for antivirus.
    It usually does not play nice with other antivirus if set real time.

Please be aware that you may experience problems running NOD and ZASS at the same time.
    It may not happen now or in the near future but if you experience locks, ZA database corruption or hangs of the system... you know why.

Usually it is not recommended to run two antivirus at the same time, they will fight each other for resources and lock each other at the time of malware infections. Also consider that even if you disable ZASS antivirus, processes will be still running on the system.

If you want to keep NOD, the best would be to run it with ZAPRO.
    The combo works well according to users.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

aleelee Guest

I disabled the anti-virus and antispyware in ZASS.
    I was originally going to buy the Pro version, but I was offered a deal on 3 user licenses on the suite cheaper than one license on the Pro version, so I went with that since the kids needed a new firewall/antivirus on their computer anyway.
    (They were running a free antivirus and the free ZA) I was really hoping that it would run well with Nod so long as the antivirus was turned off.
    I assume, that I would have to purchase the Pro version separate.
    That's really too bad.
    I might just uninstall ZASS and just go with the free version then.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>aleelee wrote:
    I disabled the anti-virus and antispyware in ZASS. I was originally going to buy the Pro version, but I was offered a deal on 3 user licenses on the suite cheaper than one license on the Pro version, so I went with that since the kids needed a new firewall/antivirus on their computer anyway. (They were running a free antivirus and the free ZA) I was really hoping that it would run well with Nod so long as the antivirus was turned off. I assume, that I would have to purchase the Pro version separate. That's really too bad. I might just uninstall ZASS and just go with the free version then.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your Feedback..I agree with Guru Fax..

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installedsecurity software &gt; please be sure to cancel your account - see/ click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol] http://forums.zonelabs.org/i/smilies...miley-wink.gif<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    By "disabled the anti-virus and antispyware in ZASS", you defeat the purpose of installinf a Security Suite"Please post back with your progress..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

roy_roy Guest

HiAlisha
    What is the solution of the hangup of Zone alarm?????

roy_roy Guest

HiAlisha
    What is the solution of the hangup of Zone alarm?????

Thread Information