Thread: installation corruption

duckorange Guest

Default installation corruption

I am first time user. On installation i clicked option to play tutorial. Internet access was broken. I could not access internet or emails. I ran the internet explorer connection
    troubleshooter to diagnose internet connection problems and it told me that winsock was corrupted. It gave me an option to reload a valid winsock. I had to do this twice and now internet access appears ok. Can you tell me if any hidden corruption could have occured since I can restore my pc as i have a backup of my computer before installing Zonealarm? Also what is winsock?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: installation corruption

<blockquote><hr>duckorange wrote:
    I am first time user. On installation i clicked option to play tutorial. Internet access was broken. I could not access internet or emails. I ran the internet explorer connection
    troubleshooter to diagnose internet connection problems and it told me that winsock was corrupted. It gave me an option to reload a valid winsock. I had to do this twice and now internet access appears ok. Can you tell me if any hidden corruption could have occured since I can restore my pc as i have a backup of my computer before installing Zonealarm? Also what is winsock?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    Please Help us Help you.. 1.) Do you have any other Security Programs installed before installing ZAFree? (other than Windows Firewall
    and maybe Windows
    Defender)2.) Any other Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus programs?3.) is your Windows XP fully Updated withMS Service Pack 2 and other MS Updates?4.) Check ZA Control Center Firewall Section (ZONES)
    tab
    are your Network Address, DNS Server and Loopback Adapter (127.0.0.1) all in the &quot;Trusted Zone&quot; or &quot;Internet Zone&quot;, they should all be in the Trusted Zone,
    5.) Check Zone Alarm Program Section / Program Tab
    look down the list and make sure both MS IE and your Email program have three green Bars for Super Trusted and two Green check Marks for Trusted and Internet Access and Email has Green check mark for Send mail..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,
    without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,

there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..
    Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your Computer
    Monitor.

Please post back with your progress..
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943944757
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3265
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Winsock is basically the Layered Shell Provider, a DLL, that connects to the TCP/IP stack to allow connections/modifications between the networking applications (browsers, etc) and between the TCP/IP stack(networking).
    The TCP/IP stack consists of two layers, upper and lower protocols, and these are actually considered to be five seperate layers: [*]Application which includes DNS, TFTP, TLS/SSL, FTP, Gopher, HTTP, IMAP, IRC, NNTP, POP3, SIP, SMTP, SNMP, SSH, TELNET, ECHO, RTP, PNRP, rlogin, ENRP[*]Transport which includes TCP, UDP, DCCP, SCTP, IL, RUDP[*]Network/Internet which is basically IP (IPv4, IPv6)[*]Data link layer which includes 802.11 (WLAN), 802.16,
    Wi-Fi, WiMAX,
    ATM,
    DTM,Token ring, Ethernet,etc)[*]Physical layer which is the Ethernet physical layer such as Modems, PLC, SONET/SDH, G.709, Optical fiber, Coaxial cable,etc

Basically the TCP/IP is starting from the very beginning for the networking and goes to the very top, in these different layers.

The TCP/IP stack is in essense, the foundation of all networking and the winsock DLL acts as an intermediary for making the connection.
    Plus the winsock is needed for controlling the TCP/IP for such things as secuerity applications (firewalls, antivirus web scanners or email scanners, some site and cookie blockers, parental controls, analyzing traffic, web content filtering, etc).

The winsock DLL can be damaged from uninstalling some networking applications (especially security applications), so a recent uninstallation of a previous firewall or antivirus or antispyware could have damaged the winsock.

The ZA always uses the winsock that comes with the windows operating system. However, some security applications and networking applications will ignore the original windows winsock and install their own seperate and different version of the winsock. If that is the case, then the result of the ZA installation would have difficulty to use the networking/internet. Since the windows winsock could be ignored and the "false" winsock from since the other vendors winsock will be causing interference or still being used instead.

Occasionally the security applications and certain networking applications will inject it's own DLL into the LSP. Often there is a conflict with the other DLL being used and the uninstall of the these will often leave the DLL behind and the this remmanent will cause issues.

Solutions:[*]Check the WINDOWS directory for remaining winsock DLLs and remove any that are not signed by windows. Look for WSOCK32.DLL and check these for "false" versions.[*] use a tool such as the LSP Fix found here to check for rogue DLL injection.[*]Reset the TCP/IP stack using netsh command

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-03-2008 11:05 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

duckorange Guest

Hi prof_fateThe program seems to be working fine now, but I am concerned that there may have bee some hidden corruption that will rear its head later. As mentioned I am still in a position to recover my hard disk to the point before installation, and I am looking for reassurance that this isn't neccessary.I checked out winsock using LSP Fix as suggested by &quot;OLDSOD&quot; (thank you OLDSOD), and there appears to be no errors.The only other security programs running at the time of installation were WINDOWS DEFENDER and AVG ANTIVIRUS.XP has service pack 2 and should have auto updates from microsoft.With regard to your suggestions I have checked the ZA control centre firewall section - both DHCP server and loopback adapter are in the trusted zone, but I have an entry &quot;Intel pro/100 VE network connection-packet scheduler miniport&quot; that is in the internet zone.The program control section / programs tab does not correspond to your indications. The programs listed there have just 2 main columns ACCESS &amp; SERVER, both with 2 entries for TRUSTED &amp; INTERNET. Both Internet Explorer and outlook express have
    check marks
    in the access column for both entries,
    but ? question marks
    in the server column (as do most program entries).When I installed
    Zone alarm and when installation was nearly complete I was presented with a screen giving me 2 options To finish or to visit video tutorial. I chose video tutorial, which could not then access the internet. I wonder whether if I had chosen to finish first if internet access (ie winsock) would have been OK? If so this would explain things, and the tutorial option should not have been given by the installation program at that point.

<blockquote><hr>duckorange wrote:
    Hi prof_fateThe program seems to be working fine now, but I am concerned that there may have bee some hidden corruption that will rear its head later. As mentioned I am still in a position to recover my hard disk to the point before installation, and I am looking for reassurance that this isn't neccessary.I checked out winsock using LSP Fix as suggested by "OLDSOD" (thank you OLDSOD), and there appears to be no errors.The only other security programs running at the time of installation were WINDOWS DEFENDER and AVG ANTIVIRUS.XP has service pack 2 and should have auto updates from microsoft.With regard to your suggestions I have checked the ZA control centre firewall section - both DHCP server and loopback adapter are in the trusted zone, but I have an entry "Intel pro/100 VE network connection-packet scheduler miniport" that is in the internet zone.The program control section / programs tab does not correspond to your indications. The programs listed there have just 2 main columns ACCESS & SERVER, both with 2 entries for TRUSTED & INTERNET. Both Internet Explorer and outlook express have
    check marks
    in the access column for both entries,
    but ? question marks
    in the server column (as do most program entries).When I installed
    Zone alarm and when installation was nearly complete I was presented with a screen giving me 2 options To finish or to visit video tutorial. I chose video tutorial, which could not then access the internet. I wonder whether if I had chosen to finish first if internet access (ie winsock) would have been OK? If so this would explain things, and the tutorial option should not have been given by the installation program at that point.
    <hr></blockquote>

Windows Defender is irrevelant - it has no networking scanner or filtering. The AVG does have an EMail scanner and the ZA Mail safe should not be used while using the email checker of the antivirus. Use one or the other but not never both. Personally I pick the antivirus to guard and check the emails.

The Intel Pro 100 adapter should be set to Trusted - the IP is that of your router/gateway or correct DHCP server. Additionally if the DNS server is not the router, then the DNS servers should be manually added as Trusted in the Zones. Usual advice I give:

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

The Internet Explorer must be used for the tutorial video from ZA. If the Firefox or other browser is set as the default browser, then the video will not work and fail. It is strictly a site issue and nothing to do with your PC or networking or loss of networking. This explains the failure of the video. Don't worry about this issue. It happens to myself, since I have Opera as the default browser.

The server in the ZA access columns are specific to opening ports in the firewall.
    Opening ports for the Trusted server or allowing trusted server will open ports for the LAN and all trusted site. This is not a risk as none of the internet ports are involved and none will be opened to any internet server.
    Opening ports for the Internet server or allowing internet server will open ports for the internet and any internet site. This is often considered to be a security risk.

Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information