Thread: Trying to re-install Zone Alarm

coolmanoh Guest

Default Trying to re-install Zone Alarm

I am using Zone Alarm with Web Filtering 4.5.538.001. Recently, I noticed that when I place my cursor over the icon in the task bar, I got the message "TrueVector security service is shut down", so I decided to re-install the program. First off, I couldn't uninstall using Windows XP uninstall service because of some technicality, so I tried to simply re-install over the existing copy. This wouldn't work; I got the error message "Setup is unable to shut down the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without shutting down the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program." Having no idea what the "service manager" is, I then proceeded to simply delete the entire ZoneAlarm files under Programs and then ran RegVac Registry Cleaner. This time I had no problem re-installing Zone Alarm. But guess what -- it still says "System Error: Please Reboot" at the top of the Zone Alarm window and the icon in the task bar still says "TrueVector security service is shut down." So what do I do now? If someone has answer, I would like to be contacted directly at drc1@netscape.com.
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:4.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Trying to re-install Zone Alarm

<blockquote><hr>coolmanoh wrote:
    I am using Zone Alarm with Web Filtering 4.5.538.001. Recently, I noticed that when I place my cursor over the icon in the task bar, I got the message &quot;TrueVector security service is shut down&quot;, so I decided to re-install the program. First off, I couldn't uninstall using Windows XP uninstall service because of some technicality, so I tried to simply re-install over the existing copy. This wouldn't work; I got the error message &quot;Setup is unable to shut down the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without shutting down the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program.&quot; Having no idea what the &quot;service manager&quot; is, I then proceeded to simply delete the entire ZoneAlarm files under Programs and then ran RegVac Registry Cleaner. This time I had no problem re-installing Zone Alarm. But guess what -- it still says &quot;System Error: Please Reboot&quot; at the top of the Zone Alarm window and the icon in the task bar still says &quot;TrueVector security service is shut down.&quot; So what do I do now? If someone has answer, I would like to be contacted directly at ** BLEEP **
    Email address removed by Forum policy...
    Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    4.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    Hmmmm.. it looks like your running a Very OLD version of Zone Alarm Pro 4.5.538.001 that included Web-Filtering..
    Unfortunately, due to significant changes in Windows XP and resulting Changes in Zone Alarm to keep up with the Changes in Windows XP and Vista..Zone Alarm no longer provides Support for any version of Zone Alarm before Version 6.5 and Any Upgrade License Key for ZAPro would Only work with ZAPro 6.5 to 7.0.462.000 and future releases..
    If your having problems, I recomend Download a more Current release, at lease Ver. 6.5.737.000 or the Current 7.0.462.000 English version.. from:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    Here is the Recomended Clean Uninstall proceedurer
    Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe&quot;
    Change it to:
    &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean /rmlicense (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say &quot;Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    Reboot
    Now reinstall the new
    version of ZAPro program

To remove ZoneAlarm completely from your computer in case normal uninstall can t be run or doesn t run properly, do the following:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103
    Good luck..Please keep us posted on your progress.

coolmanoh Guest

Default Re: Trying to re-install Zone Alarm

About the uninstall procedure: When I got to the Uninstall Zone Labs Security part, I got the following: &quot;Could not load the DLL library C:\Windows\System32\vsutil.dll (WSEGetAndSetInstallerRunningMutex).&quot; Is this a Windows file?

Thread Information