Thread: ZA AV will not update - "the task encountered and error"

billzinn Guest

Default ZA AV will not update - "the task encountered and error"

OK, granted it's been a long time since I used ZASS -
    ever since we "migrated" to WinXP Pro over a year ago - but now I have a "user" who HATES
    both XP and
    Norton Internet Security -
    she refuses to use both, so we bought her a license for ZASS
    (which she loves) and I built her a "brand new" system using Windows 2000, her preferred Operating System.....My problem: after installing ZASS on this "brand new installation" of Windows 2000 on a TOTALLY reformatted hard disk,
    I am unable to 'update' the antivirus "signatures" - I repeatedly get the error message in the title line: "the task encountered an error".I see little (if any)
    "network traffic" through the router when
    when this occurs but I do see what appears to be 'normal traffic' when the spyware updates - which it does successfully.

After "browsing" thruogh these fourms, I have already made the "recommended" site entries which I found for the update servers at Zonelabs but still repeatedly have this problem...I've done SEVERAL "clean" un-installs, which includes
    removing the "Internet Logs" folder from the WINNT directory
    and I've even "un-installed" the license according to instructions (which I've had ever since we first began using ZASS over four years ago - BTW: this license of ZASS reflects 365 days of subscription remaining) ... but I am seemingly unable to resolve this 'issue'...Insofar as this install of W2K is "brand new" and ONLY the MS updates have been installed so far but no other software (other than WinZip), I believe there is little chance of a virus or spyware causing this problem, and I seemingly have no problem "browsing" the Internet.In an effort to troubleshoot this problem, I've been "all over" these forums looking for somone else who encountered this problem
    and may have found a "fix" - with no success, it would appear...So what's the "secret" I'm "forgetting"?
    When we used ZASS earlier I never encountered THIS particular problem - ZA ALWAYS was able to contact the servers and update properly, but THIS time it is driving me nuts... and I will NOT "let loose" of this system untill it is "protected" against viruses by SOME AV software...Anyone have a clue as to what else I can try?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: ZA AV will not update - "the task encountered and error"

What I'm about to say relates to my Windows XP Pro system but the ZoneAlarm error and solution should be the same. I keep a file of my ZoneAlarm settings along with notes about solving problems that I've gleaned from the forums.
    Problems running Update due to corrupted file ("Task has encountered an error&quot

New way (starting with 7.0.462.0)

1) Ctrl + Shft right-click (ZA systray icon)

2) Click Reset in popup box

3) Click Yes in Reset Settings dialog box

4) Click OK when prompted to reboot

5) Follow onscreen prompts

OR (old way):

1) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\Updates

2) Delete all files

3) Re-run Update

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>billzinn wrote:
    OK, granted it's been a long time since I used ZASS -ever since we "migrated" to WinXP Pro over a year ago - but now I have a "user" who HATESboth XP andNorton Internet Security - she refuses to use both, so we bought her a license for ZASS(which she loves) and I built her a "brand new" system using Windows 2000, her preferred Operating System.....My problem: after installing ZASS on this "brand new installation" of Windows 2000 on a TOTALLY reformatted hard disk,I am unable to 'update' the antivirus "signatures" - I repeatedly get the error message in the title line: "the task encountered an error".I see little (if any)"network traffic" through the router whenwhen this occurs but I do see what appears to be 'normal traffic' when the spyware updates - which it does successfully. After "browsing" thruogh these fourms, I have already made the "recommended" site entries which I found for the update servers at Zonelabs but still repeatedly have this problem...I've done SEVERAL "clean" un-installs, which includesremoving the "Internet Logs" folder from the WINNT directoryand I've even "un-installed" the license according to instructions (which I've had ever since we first began using ZASS over four years ago - BTW: this license of ZASS reflects 365 days of subscription remaining) ... but I am seemingly unable to resolve this 'issue'...Insofar as this install of W2K is "brand new" and ONLY the MS updates have been installed so far but no other software (other than WinZip), I believe there is little chance of a virus or spyware causing this problem, and I seemingly have no problem "browsing" the Internet.In an effort to troubleshoot this problem, I've been "all over" these forums looking for somone else who encountered this problemand may have found a "fix" - with no success, it would appear...So what's the "secret" I'm "forgetting"?When we used ZASS earlier I never encountered THIS particular problem - ZA ALWAYS was able to contact the servers and update properly, but THIS time it is driving me nuts... and I will NOT "let loose" of this system untill it is "protected" against viruses by SOME AV software...Anyone have a clue as to what else I can try?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum.
    Thank you for your detailed request..Hmmm. There are some other Items of your Set up that e need..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    1.) Does the Windows 2000 have all the Service Pack updates (I think there were 4 SP's) ZASS is designed to work with WinXP SP2, and Win2K SP42.) What version of Zone Alarm Security Suite.. Older version 5 and 6 included CA Computer &amp; Associated AV, the New ZASS 7.0.XX now include AV by Kaspersky and Mail Fronteer Anti_smam by Sonic wall, ..

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..3.) Some of the first Releases of ZASS 7.0.xxx had lots of know Bugs including Conectivity to the update Servers.. ZASS 7.0.462.000 English fixed that..http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=1>http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...mon/spacer.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px"><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=810 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=body width=802><P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.462.000 name=7.0.462.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.462.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Improved system boot time <LI>Included a new anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines. </LI>[/list]<LI>Stability improvements in anti-virus: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during scan <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in after repair of archive (or similar) on CD. </LI>[/list]<LI>Additional Stability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon <LI>Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown <LI>Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient. <LI>Fixed various install and upgrade issues <LI>Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-virus improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing, <LI>Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes </LI>[/list]<LI>Anti-spyware improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New anti-spyware engine <LI>Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access </LI>[/list]<LI>Ease-of-use improvements: <UL class=body><LI>New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone) <LI>Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours </LI>[/list]<LI>Customization improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Made AV/AS update frequency configurable <LI>Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray). <LI>Various other fixes and improvements </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.408.000 name=7.0.408.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.408.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements in system startup and shutdown, antivirus, spysite loading, the update client, and more. <LI>Stability improvements during antivirus scans, uninstall, while shutting down, and more. <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issues with Project 2007, Bit Torrent, and Logitech Webcam. <LI>Antivirus enhancements (in Suite and Antivirus products only): New scan priority for on-demand antivirus scans. <LI>Various usability and other improvements. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.362.000 name=7.0.362.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.362.000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:944013400
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3275
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

billzinn Guest

George...I THOUGHT
    I had all the &quot;pertinent&quot; data included, but - yeah, it would make sense to also include things like:
    This is W2K-SP4 with ALL 'updates' and 'patches' installed...Also have Internet Explorer updated to IE6-SP1 (I do this routinely with W2K
    before even doing the &quot;Microsoft Update&quot; thing)...No MS
    &quot;updates&quot; reflected any problems or &quot;issues&quot; (no error messages during install of all 90-something updates and patches).Insofar as this is a TOTALLY new download of ZASS, it must obviously be the &quot;latest version&quot; (which is, what, like version 7.0.462.000 ? I forgot to look at the version number before I uninstalled it
    a
    while ago
    - once again...).
    As I mentioned, this is an ALL NEW install on an ALL NEW PC....
    But just to be as &quot;complete&quot; as possible:
    The system hardwre that this is installed on is
    a &quot;brand new&quot; MSI PM8M-V M/B with a P-4 3.0 GHz (single core) socket 775 microprocessor, 1 GB DDR2-SDRAM, 160 GB IDE hard disk, Nvidia 5200
    AGP video W/
    128 MB DDR-SDRAM, Sony 16X DVD-R/W, 3
    &quot; floppy disk, internal 56K fax modem,
    etc., etc, .. (yadda-yadda-yadda...).We are &quot;behind&quot; a Ciso DSL modem (Cisco 678 DMT DSL) with a Linksys WRT-54G router providing wireless access and internal DHCP from the router for all twelve of our systems.
    Small business Qwest DSL access operating at 3.2 MB/sec. ....
    This network and Internet setup has not changed in over three years and we never had any &quot;issues', earlier, when we routinely used ZASS on ALL our computers before the decision was made to migrate to XP and NIS2008
    - but of course, NOW that I NEED a W2K system
    - ZA is being &quot;uncooperative&quot; .... and it's frustrating as H***And I've &quot;been away&quot; from ZASS just long enough to have (probably) 'forgotten&quot; some of the &quot;tricks&quot; I had to be more conversant with when we used ZASS on all our systems...
    All help is apprciated insofar as this person is constantly ringing my extension asking &quot;Is my PC ready yet?...&quot;

billzinn Guest

I'll give this a try and see what shakes out....Thanks for your input... I'll get back after I try this...

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>billzinn wrote:
    I'll give this a try and see what shakes out....Thanks for your input... I'll get back after I try this...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together until after you
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:944013400
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3275
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

billzinn Guest

Default Re: ZA AV will not update - "the task encountered an error"

AHA!!Victory is MINE!!
    After the last &quot;clean&quot; un-install and subsequent
    removal of &quot;Internet Logs&quot; directory (et al)
    - THIS time I found
    a ZoneAlarm folder that was still in the &quot;Program Files&quot; directory (which I don't believe was
    still there each time
    I installed ZASS
    and had to do a &quot;clean un-install&quot; the first seven times) .... so I deleted this folder also.
    Then
    I &quot;dumped&quot; the &quot;recycle bin&quot; and
    - JUST to make certain that I had EVERYTHING removed - I then did a search and removed EVERYTHING that was found when I searched
    for all entries like
    &quot;zonealarm&quot; or &quot;zonelabs&quot; (I think it found like two items ... INCLUDING the &quot;fresh&quot; download of ZASS that I had &quot;stashed&quot; on the hard disk for easy access about two hours earlier ....).I rebooted the PC and again searched for anything like &quot;zonealarm&quot; and/or &quot;zonelabs&quot; and found nothing
    (I thought about doing the same to the registry but decided to &quot;just not go there&quot;...).So, I downloaded ZASS ONE MORE TIME and
    re-installed and re-entered the license and - FINALLY - Now I can receive AV updates.... (Whew!)
    TA-DA!
    (is it beer-thirty yet?)
    God I love stuff like this ( ..... not!).

As if Microsoft &quot;issues&quot;
    aren't bad enough....

Default Re: ZA AV will not update - "the task encountered an error"

Thank you for your Feedback..Eurika!!! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1yahoo.gifGood for you..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information