Thread: vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe high cpu - How to Fix It

notuserfriendly Guest

Default vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe high cpu - How to Fix It

Hi.I searched and found no fix for this problem.,
    Running 40% cpu consistently between the two exec's. Contacted tech support, got garbage from them followed by a solicitation asking how well I liked their response.
    Tech support is non-existant.
    I solved my problem and by following these steps you can solve yours too... maybe.
    Try it; it's worth a shot.
    I'm running the current version of zone alarm security suite; 7.something... I'm on a different computer now.
    Anyway; it's current as of 2/1/08
    If you have unacceptable CPU utilizationj (it should be unintrusive), first kick off task manager (ctrl/alt/delete, select task manager).
    Minimize it so you have the little CPU Utilization icon on the bottom right corner of your screen.
    It indicates the CPU you are using; keep an eye on it.
    Then, bring up the Zone Alarm screen.

Clicking on that lock thing-a-ma-jing on the top right corner of your "Zone Alarm" screen. This will cut off your connection to the internet.
    Look at your CPU indicator.
    If it went to zero (no more or very little green), your problem is with internet traffic; your problem is with some application that is using the web.
    If it does not change (as mine didn't) your problem is internal.

Zone Alarm not only monitors internet traffic, it also monitors local traffic.

OK, so now the situation is that you have the little CPU thingie registering high CPU and you're not doing anything (nothing running).
    Assumption is that Task Manager has told you that vsmon and zlclient are eating CPU.
    Here's your next stop.
    Open up Services (Control Panel/Administrative Tasks/Services).
    Sort the output by the "Running" column.
    Start killing (right click/stop) services that are running one by one.
    Tip... Remember the name of the service that you last killed.
    As you kill a service, watch your CPU monitor.
    Give it a couple seconds.
    If it doesn't change, go on to the next service.

Eventually you will hit one where the CPU drops down to zero (no green).
    That was your bug-a-boo.
    Write down the name of the service that you killed and reboot.
    You did remember which service it was, right?
    When the system comes up, open Task Manager, minimize it so you get the little icon and then open Zone Alarm,
    Open the second tab down and go into programs (I don't remember... I think its controlled programs/program files or something). Excuse me; I'm old, drunk and tired.
    You should be able to find it.
    You will see a list of all of the "stuff" that zone alarm is monitoring.
    Find the service that you identified above and tell zone alarm to stop monitoring it.
    Mine was the service that maintains communication between my HP Laser Jet and PC.
    Your CPU should drop immediately.
    Discalimer... Use your head.
    Before you tell Zone Alarm to stop monitoring the service, make sure that the service is valid and should be running.
    Forgive this analogy; I'm a unix guy, not a windows guy, but if the service is sendmail... you've been hacked and somebody is probably
    relaying spam off your PC.
    Make an intelligent decision.

Tip:
    If this problem occurred while disconnecter from the internet (little lock thingie) you're probably OK
    to just tell Zone Alarm to stop monitoring.
    If the problem occurs only when you're connected to the internet... you have other problems.
    You ain't the only persoin using your computer.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe high cpu - How to Fix It

<blockquote><hr>notuserfriendly wrote:
    Hi.I searched and found no fix for this problem.,
    Running 40% cpu consistently between the two exec's. Contacted tech support, got garbage from them followed by a solicitation asking how well I liked their response.
    Tech support is non-existant.
    I solved my problem and by following these steps you can solve yours too... maybe.
    Try it; it's worth a shot.
    I'm running the current version of zone alarm security suite; 7.something... I'm on a different computer now.
    Anyway; it's current as of 2/1/08
    If you have unacceptable CPU utilizationj (it should be unintrusive), first kick off task manager (ctrl/alt/delete, select task manager).
    Minimize it so you have the little CPU Utilization icon on the bottom right corner of your screen.
    It indicates the CPU you are using; keep an eye on it.
    Then, bring up the Zone Alarm screen.

Clicking on that lock thing-a-ma-jing on the top right corner of your "Zone Alarm" screen. This will cut off your connection to the internet.
    Look at your CPU indicator.
    If it went to zero (no more or very little green), your problem is with internet traffic; your problem is with some application that is using the web.
    If it does not change (as mine didn't) your problem is internal.

Zone Alarm not only monitors internet traffic, it also monitors local traffic.

OK, so now the situation is that you have the little CPU thingie registering high CPU and you're not doing anything (nothing running).
    Assumption is that Task Manager has told you that vsmon and zlclient are eating CPU.
    Here's your next stop.
    Open up Services (Control Panel/Administrative Tasks/Services).
    Sort the output by the "Running" column.
    Start killing (right click/stop) services that are running one by one.
    Tip... Remember the name of the service that you last killed.
    As you kill a service, watch your CPU monitor.
    Give it a couple seconds.
    If it doesn't change, go on to the next service.

Eventually you will hit one where the CPU drops down to zero (no green).
    That was your bug-a-boo.
    Write down the name of the service that you killed and reboot.
    You did remember which service it was, right?
    When the system comes up, open Task Manager, minimize it so you get the little icon and then open Zone Alarm,
    Open the second tab down and go into programs (I don't remember... I think its controlled programs/program files or something). Excuse me; I'm old, drunk and tired.
    You should be able to find it.
    You will see a list of all of the "stuff" that zone alarm is monitoring.
    Find the service that you identified above and tell zone alarm to stop monitoring it.
    Mine was the service that maintains communication between my HP Laser Jet and PC.
    Your CPU should drop immediately.
    Discalimer... Use your head.
    Before you tell Zone Alarm to stop monitoring the service, make sure that the service is valid and should be running.
    Forgive this analogy; I'm a unix guy, not a windows guy, but if the service is sendmail... you've been hacked and somebody is probably
    relaying spam off your PC.
    Make an intelligent decision.

Tip:
    If this problem occurred while disconnecter from the internet (little lock thingie) you're probably OK
    to just tell Zone Alarm to stop monitoring.
    If the problem occurs only when you're connected to the internet... you have other problems.
    You ain't the only persoin using your computer.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Thank you for your personal insight and experience.
    Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

promisedplanet Guest

Check this out for strangeness:
    I have Tivo Server installed on my PC.
    It serves up media content hosted on the PC to networked Tivo units.
    I noticed (via the process icons in the upper-right corner of the ZoneAlarm Pro window) that the Tivo Server service was generating a lot of network traffic.
    I shutdown the service, and that's when my CPU usage went up to near 100%, with the usual zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe suspects.
    When I *restarted* the service, my CPU usage went back to normal.
    Who can explain it?

stephenlangton Guest

I have had a similar problem, that only became apparent after I had shut down all the start up programs. aolsoftware.exe then jumped up the list of excessive cpu and seemed to be competing with zonealarm, except when I terminated it explorer locked up as well, terminated explorer, which is always going to be fatal
    and that was the end of that. Rebooted, exited aim messenger and terminated aolsoftware and now all seems to be ok.The point here though is my pc had been running for at least 2 hours before the symptoms appeared, I was also watching scifi on channelsurfing.net and its pop window always seems to cause an excessive cpu use by iexplore.I not yet had an alert appear for aolsoftware, which I would have expected since it obviously attempts an internet connection.Any further thoughts from anyone?

Thread Information