Thread: New versions ZoneAlarm Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 (your thoughts)

oldgoat Guest

Default New versions ZoneAlarm Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 (your thoughts)

:8}Just wondering what is one thoughts about using the Newest version of ZoneAlarm Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 .
    Should I consider using both or just use the ZoneAlarm alone? Thanks from oldgoat and always wanting to learn something new, each and every day!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: New versions ZoneAlarm Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 (your thoughts)

First thought - make sure you only get the plain anti-spyware version; not the one integrated with anti-virus.<hr>I use ZA 7.0.462 Antispyware firewall product, other brand av (not KAV) and Spysweeper Anti-spyware and seems to be ok...<hr>- but if your using ZA Suite - the Kaspersky av - may be a bit more sensitive to Webroot's presence { you may want to go to Kaspersky forums for 'real feedback' on the combo }- it is true, when I've updated/ upgraded my ZA firewall, I did take the precaution to 'temporarily' shutdown Webroot prior to ZA install- I've read past users, who say the combo caused some slowness and that the shutting off of &quot;some of the shields&quot; eased the conflicts of &quot;real-time protection&quot; between ZA firewall, the av, and Webroot. The most obvious shut-off, is the shut-off of Webroot's Email shield. If you experience - slowness - experiment/ adjust the shieds to see which ones you can combine.<hr>- with about two+ years of use it has caught/blocked about two 'malware' and has a number of tracking cookies. I think it is a worthwhile investment; which will generally out-perform most of the 'free' anti-spyware you can get. &gt; see/ click here http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=48378#M48378<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 2-21-08 - Pick Up The Pieces - The Average White Band

oldgoat Guest

Default Re: New versions ZoneAlarm Suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 (your thoughts)

THANK YOU very much NaiveMelody. Your responce very informative and right to the point and understood everything even for this Oldgoat. I will for sure use your info. I have another suite now (Norton)
    but will try to stay with it until it expires. I am using also the Webroot with it. This was suggested by the people that set up this computer for me. As I get older I hope to get smarter. Thanks again from Oldgoat.

joel_t Guest

Zonelabs upgrade 762 suite is not working for me and I must move, probably to Norton's suite. Why are you moving from Norton to Zonelab?

naivemelody Guest

oldgoat, Important Reminders:Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - http://forums.zonelabs.org/i/smilies...ley-tongue.gif http://forums.zonelabs.org/i/smilies...ley-tongue.gif[*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here &gt; &gt;&gt;
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . &lt;&lt;&lt; Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software &gt; please be sure to cancel your account -
    see/ click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol
    ]http://forums.zonelabs.org/i/smilies...miley-wink.gif[*]

I Strongly Recommend you use the Norton Removal Tool - I've used it &gt; and it does really make a difference. The standard Windows Add/Remove and Norton's standard un-install utility - just won't do a thorough job. <hr>2 - I would advise you to shut-down Webroot just prior to new ZA install.<hr>[*]Tips for installing ZoneAlarm 7.0.462:[*]
    - don't use web accelerators(often used with dial-up)
    nor download managers - temporarily shut-off/ shut down<hr>- better to use Internet Explorer 6/ 7 - temporarily, instead of firefox for ZA install<hr>- in your web browser - if it has security &gt;trusted zone/ site list and pop-up blocker settings - adjust -
    add &quot;download.zonealarm.com&quot; to safe-site/whitelist

and of any pop-blockers software you may have<hr>- with Webroot SpySweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, AVG guard, Windows Defender, etc.
    - temporarily shut off the real time protective - shields, guards, watches, proactive protection, Ad-Watch, etc. Or just temporarily shut-down the software. [ Sometimes you will need to 'un-install' these security software, first before attempting ZA install {SpywareDoctor, SpySweeper } For some users they needed to un-install them first and then - able to install ZA. ]<hr>See/ click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>After you get ZA installed, let it run for a while before 'restoring Webroot - again make sure it's the plain anti-spy version.'<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 2-22-08 - I Can Help - Billy Swan<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-22-2008 01:27 PM[/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Joel_T wrote:
    Zonelabs upgrade 762 suite is not working for me and I must move, probably to Norton's suite. Why are you moving from Norton to Zonelab?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.

----------------

Some place else on the Forum after several Replies, you finally mentioned Enabled Proxy server?

Please provide more details..

Also,

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

oldgoat Guest

When I bought the computer I had the Norton 2007 installed because the person in store suggested it and being my first computer and not being computer savvy. I read much later as well as told that the Norton Suite anti-spyware detection was on the poor side as well as
    virus detection. I was curious so I decided to install the Webroot Spysweeper and I was
    shocked that there was several threats there.

joel_t Guest

You said.... &quot;Some place else on the Forum after several Replies, you finally mentioned Enabled Proxy server?&quot;
    &quot;finally???????&quot;
    My first impatient reply
    was deleted. It's difficult to be polite after days and
    weeks of trying to fix this ZA problem since Jan 13th.
    I've spent days providing info to ZA tech and to your &quot;some place else.&quot;
    I've no proxies enabled though someone else here seemed to think the updlog &quot;sensed&quot; otherwise.

Hi!there is no need to attack posters here... we are all trying to help.I understand your frustration but your attitudewill not helpto solveyour problem.Probably your registry got corrupted or somewhere there is an error. I have seen these problems before and sometimes they aredue to very aggressive registry cleaners.Last time my registry got heavily corrupted I had to format and reinstall windows from scratch.Unfortunately, we can point you to the issue but we can't fix your system remotely. :8}Thank you for your understanding.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information