Thread: Why does upgrade to 7.0.462.000 activate MailFrontier (aka SonicWall) in Outlook?

techwritermn Guest

Default Why does upgrade to 7.0.462.000 activate MailFrontier (aka SonicWall) in Outlook?

I just upgraded ZASS from 7.0.337.00 to 7.0.462.000 on Windows XP Pro SP2. When I started Outlook 2003 after the install, it crashed, and then reported that an outside program was trying to send an email from Outlook. That's a message I've never seen. I said "No". When I restarted, Outlook displayed this message: "Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-in 'c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zonela~1\mailfr~1\mlfoshim.d ll". That DLL is now listed in Outlook as a disabled COM Add-In with the name MLFOutlookAddin.MlfAddin. I tried enabling it again, got the same error, and this time said "Yes" to allow the email. Outlook sent a crash dump in an email to desktopreport@sonicwall.com, and the subject line was the information I entered when Outlook's crash message asked me to indicate what I was doing when Outlook crashed.

So I did a search and discovered that SonicWALL Anti-Span Desktop is the same as MailFrontier Desktop. So then I checked my ZASS E-mail Protection settings and discovered that the upgrade had turned on ZASS' Junk E-mail Filter (along with turning back on automatic anti-virus and anti-spyware updates) without telling me or giving me an option on the score.

What in the world is going on here? Specifically:

1. Why is ZASS turning on its Junk E-Mail Filter when I didn't ask it to do so? (I don't get that much junk email and I don't need both Outlook and ZASS filtering my email.)

2. Why is ZASS turning on automatic anti-virus/anti-spyware updates when I didn't ask it to? (It's been turned off on both of our systems because I got tired of getting reboot messages after these updates. Other anti-virus packages don't ask you to reboot frequently just for anti-virus/anti-spyware signature updates.)

3. Why is ZASS adding this SonicWALL/MailFrontier add-in to Outlook when I didn't ask for it?

4. Who or what s SonicWALL and why is it now part of ZASS?

5. Why is an ZASS creating and sending emails from my email client to sonicwall.com without even asking permission, and sending data out? Isn't it profoundly ironic that an anti-virus/anti-spyware program would do such a thing?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Why does upgrade to 7.0.462.000 activate MailFrontier (aka SonicWall) in Outlook?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TechWriterMN wrote:
    What in the world is going on here? Specifically:

1. Why is ZASS turning on its Junk E-Mail Filter when I didn't ask it to do so? (I don't get that much junk email and I don't need both Outlook and ZASS filtering my email.)

2. Why is ZASS turning on automatic anti-virus/anti-spyware updates when I didn't ask it to? (It's been turned off on both of our systems because I got tired of getting reboot messages after these updates. Other anti-virus packages don't ask you to reboot frequently just for anti-virus/anti-spyware signature updates.)

3. Why is ZASS adding this SonicWALL/MailFrontier add-in to Outlook when I didn't ask for it?

4. Who or what s SonicWALL and why is it now part of ZASS?

5. Why is an ZASS creating and sending emails from my email client to sonicwall.com without even asking permission, and sending data out? Isn't it profoundly ironic that an anti-virus/anti-spyware program would do such a thing?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1,2,3 = This sounds like either you have done a clean install or your ZA settings were corrupted or got corrupted during the update. 4 = Sonicwall is the new name of the mailfrontier antispam in ZASS. Before it was called Mailfrontier and now is called SonicWall.5 = There are options for allowing mailfrontier to notify automatically about phishing and spam e-mail. Probably due to weird/corrupted settings it was active.Better you reset your ZA settings, do no import backup settings. Or clean remove ZASS and reinstall (always not importing backups).Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jsboehmer Guest

Default Re: Why does upgrade to 7.0.462.000 activate MailFrontier (aka SonicWall) in Outlook?

I just got the same message today about SonicWall add-in
    causing a problem and needing to be disabled
    before starting Outlook.
    I had no idea what SonicWall was or thatg I had authorized it as an add-in.
    About two weeks ago I go a notice or e-mail message from ZoneAlarm teleing me an upgrade was available, so I let the upgrade install.
    Since then I had nothing but trouble with ZoneAlarm acting very different.
    I have to shut if down in order to follow links or visit half the sites I want to go to.
    What happened? How can I fix ZoneAlarm to get back to working properly?

Hi!its good norm to post a new thread when asking for help... detailing the version of ZA used which upgrade, the version of outlook, other securitysoftware installedand what was done to resolve the issue if any.For your case.. just guessing...First you need to completely remove ZA following this instructions:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlThen reinstall latest version, see here:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...structZAP.htmlYou may need after to go to Outlook and re-enable the disabled add-in.If the above fails pleasecontact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information