I recently purchased ZA ISS 2008 from a store, initially tried an upgrade install using the disc (I've used ZA for about 4 years), then have tried numerous clean installs, all with the same result. The ZA application window is sitting, unresponsive, on my desktop. In all other respects, it appears to be working just fine. It reports all systems active, and it has updated the virus and spam definitions automatically. When I couldn't get the store purchased copy to work, I downloaded the latest version, 7.0.462.000, and tried it with the same result from a clean install. I've also run some of the suggestions I found in this forum from GeorgeV and OldSod to be sure I've always completely removed my previous attempts.

At one time I had Norton AV installed on this machine, but I went to the Norton site and downloaded their complete removal tool and ran it. I've also run CCleaner. I've run chkdsk and defrag as well. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try, but the processes (vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe) are basically consuming 50% of my CPU. The PC behaves normally after I do a complete uninstall and I've never had any sort of a problem with it. I'm stumped.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try next? Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:7.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite