Thread: ZA Pro 70_470 problem

bugbear Guest

Default ZA Pro 70_470 problem

Hi Guys,
    Like a few other people here, I upgraded to 70_470 and immediately had problems with ZA freezing on startup. I've read some of the solutions on this forum &
    I uninstalled everything (including registry entries, prefetch, temp etc), and reinstalled three times, once with a fresh install (not upgrade). Same problem.
    So I installed the earlier version (462) and had the same problem - freezing on startup.
    At the minute I'm running without a firewall which is a bit worrying - any advice?
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA Pro 70_470 problem

Did you do the uninstall per the instructions we have here, or did you just search the files and registry entries?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

bugbear Guest

Yeah, I followed the instructions and deleted everything in safe mode - everything went smoothly with the uninstall (the only file I didn't have on the system was vsdata95.vxd).I tried again today, and downloaded a new version of 70.740. The install seems to go OK, but on restart ZA freezes on screen.
    As I've said, going back a version or two doesn't help - it's as if a corrupt file is left behind after uninstall and its messing up whatever version I install. It seems like that anyway, but I'm certainly no expert!

Try doing a clean install from safe mode. This sometimes will fix the odd problems that crop up like this. To be honest, your problem doesn't make any sense. I can't think of what is being left behind.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

bugbear Guest

Yeah, it's a strange one alright. I've also noticed that since I took ZAPro off the system completely, Internet Explorer 7 & Outlook Express launch much quicker - they had been very sluggish for a while....
    As I've said, I tried downloading a clean version, but no luck. Pity - I've used Zone Alarm Pro for a few years, and up to now I was perfectly happy with it, to the point of recommending it to everyone...
    Thanks for the replies Hoov

amart Guest

I had similar problems, from the last update. Today I reinstalled totally zonealarm suite 70_470, but when installation program requested I chose "clean" installation. It is working fine again. I hope this could be useful for your problem.

Thread Information