Thread: Why won't ZoneAlarm and McAfee Security Center play nice together?

klbkrissy Guest

Default Why won't ZoneAlarm and McAfee Security Center play nice together?

I was running the free ZoneAlarm firewall for Vista and free McAfee Security Center VirusScan (provided through Comcast). I had downloaded and tried to install the update for ZoneAlarm that warned about the upcoming SP1 conflicts. The update would alway fails to install and I finally gave up.

Now I have updated Vista with SP1. Of course I got the True Vector errors and ZoneAlarm would no longer start. I have followed all the instructions here and at the McAfee website. I have completely uninstalled both (used removal tools and manually deleted leftover files). If I install McAfee 7.2, build 7.2.151 first, ZoneAlarm won't install at all. If I install ZoneAlarm 7.1.248.000 first, McAfee installation freezes and won't finish installing (no errors or messages). From everything I have read and researched I reluctantly realize that for now, these two programs are not going to play together.

What I don't know is why? I've been wasting my time for 2 days now, and I would at least like to know why we can't use the McAfee VirusScan as the anti-virus program and ZoneAlarm as the firewall program. I've been using them this way for years, and now "Oh no you can't, not on Vista with SP1, sister!" I have been searching the forums and seen all the messages about how the two can't run together, but I can't seem to find out why. Could someone explain, or reference a post (that I can't seem to find by myself)?

Thanks.

Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium Edition
    32-bit Operating System
    HP - m8010y
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz Processor
    4 GB Memory (RAM)
    ZoneAlarm (free) - 7.1.248.000 won't install, not running.
    ZoneAlarm (free) previous version 7.1.078.000
    McAfee SecurityCenter 7.2 build 7.2.151 without the firewall.
    VirusScan 11.2
    Privacy Service 9.2
    Data Backup 1.2

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Why won't ZoneAlarm and McAfee Security Center play nice together?

I am not entirely sure, but the cause may be that the free version of ZA actually installs the ZAISS version, but only activates the free portions.

Try installing the programs in the safe mode in windows.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information