Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I solved fiasco of Updating Zone Alarm

windsor Guest

Default How I solved fiasco of Updating Zone Alarm

My previous posts described the near-nightmare of updating Zone Alarm Anti-Virus to the latest version. It was not successful when following the directions as proposed by the pop-up that appeared yesterday. The Result: my system was inoperable: it would freeze, couldn't open or close programs, Task Manager took for ever to open, cpu seemed to be running at max, etc.

Well, I followed the directions as explained in the post:

"What's The Best Procedure for Updating from 7.0.377.000 to 7.0.462.000?"

It took a long time (about an hour.) There were things along the way which did not run smoothly, so I googled various things along the way. For example, the directions to delete certain files in various directories didn't always work. For example, there were several "Temp" folders under Documents and Settings. Not all the files would allow deletion---they were in use. I tried to google what these files did, who they belonged to, etc, but there were so many I gave up on that effort. I deleted all that I could, and and the rest remain.

Also, the direction to add "/clean/rmlicese" did not take. When I added this string, and then came to the point when I clicked the uninstall, I was informed that this addition was not recognized. So, I removed it. (This resulted, I believe, in my not having to re-enter my license at the end of the process---my license key "stuck.&quot

Over all, I seemed to have installed the new version. What I did notice, as an aside, is that when my Zone Alarm was not installed and active, my computer ran much, much faster. This shows me how much Zone Alarm, even when working properly, slows up my computer. Umm,when my license comes up for renewal, I am going to look hard at whether this program is the one I want.

Now, I have to think about updating my other computer. I really don't want to go through with this whole mess on my other computer, but what can I do?. Users should not have to spend this amount of time and energy to install an update.

My opinion of, and my estimation of Zone Alarm, is now a negative one. If Zone Labs doesn't watch it, word will get around that they are more of a hastle than they are worth. In my opinion, they have been extremely cavalier about how they are addressing these update problems.

Jim

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: How I solved fiasco of Updating Zone Alarm

<blockquote><hr>Windsor wrote:

Also, the direction to add "/clean/rmlicese" did not take. When I added this string, and then came to the point when I clicked the uninstall, I was informed that this addition was not recognized. So, I removed it.

<hr></blockquote>

Hi!

unfortunately if you do not follow closely the instruction you will not be able to really remove completely ZA. In you case you have forgot a space between /clean and /rmlicense. This is why the commands were not recognised.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bugbear Guest

I to have found that my machine (winxp - 3gig - 1gig ram) is much faster without Zone Alarm Pro. I've been a fan of Zone Alarm for about 5 years and have recommended it to a lot of people, the result of these recomendations is that
    I am now receiving phone calls from people asking how to sort their ZA problems following the 470 upgrade.
    I can't even get in touch with tech support as the form on the support page doesn't seem to be working (it returns to the form after sending - no redirected page to let me know the message has been sent!). Nothing I have tried has rectified the problem so I have unistalled ZA for the last time.
    I understand that this forum is staffed by volunteers, so I'm not having a go at you but short of taking out a newspaper advertisement there is no way to
    air my grievences to
    Checkpoint.
    It might be an idea for Checkpoint to email all of their customers with a fix
    when they've sorted this problem, as I certainly won't be trawling the net looking for answers any longer...

<blockquote><hr>bugbear wrote:
    I to have found that my machine (winxp - 3gig - 1gig ram) is much faster without Zone Alarm Pro. I've been a fan of Zone Alarm for about 5 years and have recommended it to a lot of people, the result of these recomendations is that
    I am now receiving phone calls from people asking how to sort their ZA problems following the 470 upgrade.
    I can't even get in touch with tech support as the form on the support page doesn't seem to be working (it returns to the form after sending - no redirected page to let me know the message has been sent!). Nothing I have tried has rectified the problem so I have unistalled ZA for the last time.
    I understand that this forum is staffed by volunteers, so I'm not having a go at you but short of taking out a newspaper advertisement there is no way to
    air my grievences to
    Checkpoint.
    It might be an idea for Checkpoint to email all of their customers with a fix
    when they've sorted this problem, as I certainly won't be trawling the net looking for answers any longer...

<hr></blockquote>

If the latest ZA Pro release is too bothersome, then just uninstall it and download and install the previous version.

ZA Pro is here

ZAISS (for XP) is here

ZA Antivirus is here

ZA Antispyware is here

Set the updater in the ZA to manual. No more updates until you say it is ok.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hammernu Guest

Most of the Topics and Replies in this forum relate to problems. I'd like to say that in the nearly two years I've been using ZAISS, it's had far fewer problems than the other two (unnamed) security suites I have used. And the current 7.0.470.000 release is totally problem-free for me. Not only that but it doesn't slow my machine down (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 4GB). Two caveats: for best results, never upgrade. Always do a clean uninstall followed by an install of the new version. And always do the uninstall and install in Safe Mode. Perhaps not necessary but I never have any problems doing it this way.

bugbear Guest

Just for the record, I did go back a version (to 70_462), but that acted the same way as the 470 upgrade. One thing I didn't try was to install in safe mode - I'll try that now and report back......

Thanks for the replies, at least there's some feedback on this forum!

I usually give out this boiler plate:

- Copy the present license if it is to be used again for the new install. Copy it to a text file or on a physical paper. This is for later to get the ZA registered and licensed. If a new license is to be used, then copy it onto a text file or physical paper from the email or the packaging.

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(first add a space and then type in the /clean /rmlicense)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot. Now the Zone Alarm is completely off and none of it's driver have not been started.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs[*]Program Files\Zone Labs[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs[*]</Windows\Temp folder[*] and the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

- reboot

- install the latest version. Please do not use any web accelerators or download managers! to download the ZA installer. These will corrupt the ZA installer!
    - re-enter license key

Some official "Manual" uninstall can be found here or "easy" manual uninstall is here.

Usually the safe mode uninstall and install is recommended for the "problem" uninstalls. installs or/and if there is some windows issues or some form of conflicts with the ZA on the PC.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-03-2008 04:51 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bugbear Guest

Well I tried the safe mode installation with no luck. Zone Alarm pops up on startup and freezes on the status window (which shows no info). It's always at this stage the problem kicks in for me - I can do nothing with ZA at this stage.
    I have fully uninstalled too many times to be bothered any more. I can at least find my way around a computer, but what about seriously non-technical people having this problem?
    Thanks for trying to help

rtanton Guest

Tried the same without success, Tried one more time but ran System Suite 8 to remove all temp files, registry errors, and defrag the disk after removing ZA Suite in safe mode. This has (at this point) seemed to solve the problem. I have a three user license and had no problem with the newer version on the old laptop, but I am not going to touch the desktop. No more updates for me until they have been out several weeks and are proven bug free.

<blockquote><hr>bugbear wrote:
    Well I tried the safe mode installation with no luck. Zone Alarm pops up on startup and freezes on the status window (which shows no info). It's always at this stage the problem kicks in for me - I can do nothing with ZA at this stage.
    I have fully uninstalled too many times to be bothered any more. I can at least find my way around a computer, but what about seriously non-technical people having this problem?
    Thanks for trying to help
    <hr></blockquote>
    Ok then.

Start in the safe mode and manually delete these folders:[*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs[*]Program Files\Zone Labs[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Clean the temp files found in the :[*]<Windows\Temp folder[*] and all of the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

Clean the Recycle Bin and reboot.... Back again into the safe mode and then try the installation . It should work now.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information