Thread: Can't upgrade to the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro

avguser Guest

Default Can't upgrade to the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro

Hi, I have tried to upgrade to the latest version of ZA Pro but without success!!
    I have downloaded the installer 3 times. I have run CCleaner and rebooted twice.
    A few times I ran the installer and ZA seemed to be OK the Status said everything was OK....but the Antispy said that it needed attention. I turned it on but the buttons under it were all greyed out (ie not usable).
    However, during the installation I got the following error message:
    vsmon.exe couldn't be opened

I have tried to clean install and upgrade several times for each....each time cleaning and rebooting but nothing.
    I have run the uninstaller and ran CCleaner, rebooted, downloaded the installer again, installed but it won't install.
    When I try to install I just get the Microsoft Crash Message saying that ZoneAlarm Pro-1043-English has caused an error and must be closed: I have sent the error messages to Microsoft.

Spyware Progs: AVG AS, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D
    Anti Virus : AVG AV
    Firewall : Currently Windows XP as I can install ZA Pro

Any help would be very grateful.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

bigdawg_daddy Guest

Default Re: Can't upgrade to the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro

<blockquote><hr>AVGUSER wrote:
    Hi, I have tried to upgrade to the latest version of ZA Pro but without success!!
    I have downloaded the installer 3 times. I have run CCleaner and rebooted twice.
    A few times I ran the installer and ZA seemed to be OK the Status said everything was OK....but the Antispy said that it needed attention. I turned it on but the buttons under it were all greyed out (ie not usable).
    However, during the installation I got the following error message:
    vsmon.exe couldn't be opened

I have tried to clean install and upgrade several times for each....each time cleaning and rebooting but nothing.
    I have run the uninstaller and ran CCleaner, rebooted, downloaded the installer again, installed but it won't install.
    When I try to install I just get the Microsoft Crash Message saying that ZoneAlarm Pro-1043-English has caused an error and must be closed: I have sent the error messages to Microsoft.

Spyware Progs: AVG AS, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&amp;D
    Anti Virus : AVG AV
    Firewall : Currently Windows XP as I can install ZA Pro

Any help would be very grateful.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>

Sounds link ZOneAlarm Pro was still Running when you tried to Install the Upgrade over it..

Vsmon.exe (TrueVector) runs in the Backgrownd to Protect you computer and is designed not to let anything write over it to prevent Hackers from turning off your Firewall

Look in ZA Main display menu Click Overview/Preferences and Un-Check &quot;Load ZoneAlarm Pro on start up, the Reboot your computer will shut down vsmon.exe so that the New Install can install a new update to vsmon.exe..

Here is a Forum Link that will explain it better..

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=184
    Please post back with your progress report..

avguser Guest

OK I have found out the answer.

First of all no ZoneAlarm Pro wasn't running when I ran the upgrade.

However this is how I did it.

First of all I un-installed Zonealarm Pro (make sure you keep your serial number!!)
    Ran CCleaner then Rebooted, Ran another Registry Cleaner and rebooted.
    Ran the installer of ZoneAlarm Pro. At this point it said that it couldn't open vsmon.exe
    I navigated to the Zone Labs folder and into the ZoneAlarm folder.
    Next I double clicked on &quot;zonealarm.exe&quot; and &quot;zlclient.exe&quot; (one did something the other not, I can't say which worked just try for yourselves!!)

Everything is now running properly. I have ran a firewall scan with Shields Up website and everything came up as Stealth. Even the Anti-Spy of ZoneAlarm is back again!! :-)
    I hope this is of help to others who have the same porblem of installing this update/upgrade.

Best Wishes to all

bigdawg_daddy Guest

Thank you for your Feedback and helpful info to other users.

Thread Information