Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem upgrading

stef_l Guest

Default problem upgrading

When I tried to upgrade, got a message saying ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (on Windows XP)couldn't tell which version I currently had (it was the one before the new one, from last December). Tried a full install of the latest version, which worked except gave me a completely blank ZoneAlarm interface screen so I had no idea what the settings were etc. Uninstalled, and tried again, and now I am in the position where installation fails everytime whether I use the official ZA website or another link. From the ZA download I get the message 'installation failed. The download file is not a Zone Alarm installer'. Tried Windows XP system restore, too & that made no difference. So I have no ZA and it won't let me downlad and install it. Please help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: problem upgrading

You should be able to download the ZA free installer from here:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stef_l Guest

Thanks to Old Sod for the suggestion. Tried the link; the file downloaded but failed to install. 'An I/O error occurred while installing a file - bad installation media or a corrupt installation file.'

Is there any way of getting around this?

Thanks

Please do not use any download managers or web accelerators as these will corrupt the ZA installer and render it unuseable.
    Please use the IE to download the installer (recommended but not always neccessary).
    Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stef_l Guest

I've now tried this and it's failed. I normally use the Opera browser & have never had any problems before but as you suggested tried directly through IE7. It blocked the downloader from the ZA website for security reasons because it wasn't an https site, and when I used the link you sent me in your previous reply, it downloaded the file but has refused to open or install it.

Thanks for your help; I'm willing to keep trying things you suggest.

Either Opera and IE work for me fine for downloading from ZLs. Maybe there is some web filtering or blockers on your PC, that is causing the issue?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stef_l Guest

I've now tried doing the download again with the Windows firewall turned off, but it makes no difference. Message is that 'the ZA installer has encountered a problem and has to close'.

Securitywise, I run AdAware and Spybot on my system, as well as AVG anti-virus. Again, have used these for a long time & they have never caused issues previously.

First make sure none of the other security applications are set to startup with windows startup. Disable the Tea Timer in the SpyBot S&D before doing this.
    Turn off the PC.

Start the PC in the safe mode.
    Manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs[*]Program Files\Zone Labs[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs[*]</Windows\Temp folder[*] and the all of Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

Clean the Recycle Bin.

Now open the ZA installer and see if it works.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stef_l Guest

I hope you are not wishing I'd go away! Did all you suggested &amp; result is still the same 'ZA installer has encountered a problem and needs to close.'

Do you think it might help if I downloaded the program on another computer &amp; tranferred it to this one by pen drive it might work?

Thanks

<blockquote><hr>Stef-L wrote:
    I hope you are not wishing I'd go away! Did all you suggested & result is still the same 'ZA installer has encountered a problem and needs to close.'

Do you think it might help if I downloaded the program on another computer & tranferred it to this one by pen drive it might work?

Thanks
    <hr></blockquote>

LOL I am getting frustrated too, but I never quit!
    Probably not as frustrated as you.

OK try the download to another PC, but it should not make a difference.
    I was thinking it maybe time for a complete disk check and a system file check and a defrag before installing. And a run with the disk clean utility.

Unless the ZA servers are dealing out bad installers (???)

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information