Thread: 2nd Program will Not Run After Upgrade Failure...

burley Guest

Default 2nd Program will Not Run After Upgrade Failure...

OK... last night I was notified by my automatic backup software that it was unable to access Drive L:...

Drive L is an external USB drive from Western Digital I use as my backup drive. This drive comes with a WD Button Software (WDBtnMgr.exe) to turn the external USB drive ON and OFF. When I double click on this program to execute it, I see that an ACTIVE Bubble appears in the Active column under ZA Suites Program Control > Programs for just a moment and then it disappears... This is exactly what I observed with another program I previously reported in this Forum.

Note I after the upgrade FAILED, I removed ZASuite and installed the previous version as I previously reported...

Now that I am unable to backup my data via my external USB drive, I am forced to try to get the new version working...

=================================
    Here are the instructions I received from ZA Support via email after the upgrade failure, which I will now try:

There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, OS change, or ZoneAlarm update.

To repair this problem, please follow these steps.

1. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. The method is determined by your OS but normally either pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during boot up works. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in SAFE MODE 2. Open the Internet Logs directory be c:\windows\internet logs Press CTRL on your keyboard and hit F.
    We will do 3 searches,

Search *.LDB and erase all that it finds.
    Search *.RDB and erase all that it finds.
    Search *.TMP and erase all that it finds.

3. Empty your Recycle Bin.
    4. Reboot your system.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

Thank you for choosing Zone Alarm,

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

burley Guest

Default Re: 2nd Program will Not Run After Upgrade Failure...

I was able to update to the latest ZAISS .470, but this WD program will still NOT run... Contacting user support to see if they have an answer...

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>burley wrote:
    I was able to update to the latest ZAISS .470, but this WD program will still NOT run... Contacting user support to see if they have an answer...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please post back with your progress report..I use ZASS 7.0.470.000 on my WinXP SP2 , with two WD External HDD's one 320GB and 500GB that I backup to on a regular basis with Acronis True Image program with no problems..I Use Acronis True Image ver. 10 or Ver.11for Image Backups (Vista ready) and have successfully Restored my WinXP Boot Drive and Vista from a Backedup Image..Here is the instructions for using Acronis True Image to make a Complete Backup Image, including the Boot Sector..1.) Select the First option (BACKUP) click Next2.) You will see a Welcome page, just Click Next3.) Select the Top Option (My Computer) click Next4.) Check Mark Disk 1 (to select everything on the Boot Drive) Click Next5.) on the Folder Box use the down arrow on the right of Input Folder Box to select the Destination HD and inter a file name in the Folder input area (Example g:\MyBackup052507.tib (True Image will give it the extension of (.tib) for True Image Backup) Then click Next (Your entire Backup Image will be Compressed into that file name..6.)Select Create a New Full Backup Archive click Next7.) Select Use Default Options Click Next8.) Optional Comment Notes area you can just click Next9.) Now Click proceed to start the Image Backup10 To Restore from the Image Backup, select Recovery from an Image Backup on the main menu.. and select the Image File on the Backup Drive or CD..Good Luck.. Please keep us posted on your progress..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000

TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:948289132
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3635
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

burley Guest

Support is still trying to find a solution...

What I see is... As my computer boots up, I see the WD Button ICON appear in the SysTray in the lower left hand corner of the computer screen for about 1 second then it disappears.

&gt;&gt; According to the Windows Task Manager, WDBtnMgr.exe is running but not using any CPU time.
    &gt;&gt; According to ZAISS, this program is NOT running, since an active circle does NOT appear next to the name of the program.

If I terminate the WDBtnMgr.exe program, and then restart it, then both Windows Task Manager and ZAISS say it is running (It appears the Active Bubble disappears in time)...... But the button ICON does NOT show up SysTray.

FYI - This program is located at c:\Windows\System32\WDBtnMgr.exe .... which seems to make it a special type of program...

I will let you know what I find out....

Thanks...

burley Guest

It turns out that the WD Button Program turns itself OFF automatically if it does not see an External USB Drive attached... (I had to unplug the power and USB connections to get the drive to turn on)

Western Digital as replaced this program with a newer one:

&quot;The button manager will not run in your system tray if it does not detect the My Book drive. It will start and then stop itself. We have replaced the button manager software with the drive manager software.

http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxm...19&amp;swid=89
    "

My system has been running fine after using the instructions for Zone Alarm to clear corruptions from the failed upgrade... and my Western Digital backup drive is running fine now...

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>burley wrote:
    It turns out that the WD Button Program turns itself OFF automatically if it does not see an External USB Drive attached... (I had to unplug the power and USB connections to get the drive to turn on)

Western Digital as replaced this program with a newer one:

"The button manager will not run in your system tray if it does not detect the My Book drive. It will start and then stop itself. We have replaced the button manager software with the drive manager software.

http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxm...19&amp;swid=89
    "

My system has been running fine after using the instructions for Zone Alarm to clear corruptions from the failed upgrade... and my Western Digital backup drive is running fine now...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for our Feedback to thisUser forum..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950162970
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3805
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security