Thread: Install fails; re-install succeeds, but now Windows Security Alerts 'no firewall'

mjf Guest

Default Install fails; re-install succeeds, but now Windows Security Alerts 'no firewall'

I just updated ZoneAlarm to:
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    I'm also running **bleep** anti-virus 4.8 home.
    Before the ZA update everything was running fine, and has been for many months. During the install ZA complained that it couldn't access a temp file, then finished, and told me to restart. Upon restarting WIndows gave me a security alert that ZoneAlarm was not on duty. That makes sense--the previous update/install failed, I'm guessing.
    So I re-did the install, and this time the install seemed to go fine. Except...it almost looks like it did a 'new' or 'clean' install. ZA now prompts me for my usual programs that are trying to access the Internet, as opposed to picking up the list of valid programs from before the upgrade/install. Now I'm guessing that the second install was treated as a fresh install.
    Windows still tells me that ZA isn't on duty, even though I get the ZA icon (and activity bar chart) in the system tray.
    1. Is this benign?
    2. How can I get Windows and ZA to play nice so that Windows realizes that ZA is on duty? I've read some of the techniques, but I thought I'd ask before trying, as the failed install followed by an *apparent* good re-install may affect it.
    Thanks.
    MJF

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Install fails; re-install succeeds, but now Windows Security Alerts 'no firewall'

As long as you know your ZA is working - really working - that's what more important.
    On some rare occasions with an update - windows not recognizing ZA firewall does occur - this is a small OS error/ glitch in recognition - only; your ZA firewall is working properly if you see &quot;all systems active&quot; in ZA and operations appear normal.<hr>As far as ZA is concerned, you could try the following to get Windows security center to recognize ZA, which it ought to
    (preferably off line)In ZA, make sure that in Firewall &gt;
    Main -
    tab&gt; Advanced&gt; General settings&gt; 'Disable Windows firewall' &quot;is checked.&quot;
    Then shut down ZA (right click on ZA
    tray icon, click &gt;
    &quot;Shutdown ZoneAlarm.&quot;
    In Windows security center, switch on Windows firewall. Security center should show that Windows firewall is on (click chevron next to firewall to read the message). Restart ZA from start, programs. Check in security center whether it recognizes that ZA has come on (ZA will have switched off the Windows firewall when you restart it - automatically).
    If that does not work, but you are happy not to have security center alert you, in security center, on the left click change the way security center alerts me, then uncheck the box for firewall alert.<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 4-7-08 - One Of These Nights - The Eagles

mjf Guest

Default Re: Install fails; re-install succeeds, but now Windows Security Alerts 'no firewall'

Perfect! Thanks.

Thread Information