Thread: Very slow scanning

gfm Guest

Default Very slow scanning

Yesterday I upgraded Zone Alarm Security Suite. The version number is now 7.0.470.000. The AV DAT file version is 915051681. When I upgrade I always run an AV scan. This scan has been running 15 plus hours for 174,000 files and still going. I have 34 gig of files on my hard drive. Nothing else is running that would be slowing down the scan.

I am on Windows XP SP2 - up to date

I have not seen it run this slow before.

The Task Manager shows the scan is using 50 per cent cpu usage. One other process "SPOOLSV" is running 12 per cent cpu usage.

George Morris
    480-962-8859

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Very slow scanning

Upgrades frequently go wrong. It is better to uninstall your current version, then download the new version and install it. Make sure you have saved your license code. Then follow these instructions. To download (see instructions), click on the Support link and not the dropdown links. Make sure when you click on the Product-Specific Support product, you click on the link for the XP and not the Vista version.

Download ZoneAlarm:

www.zonealarm.com

Support

Product-Specific Support (click on product)

Release History
    UNINSTALL
    --------------
    Append " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes) to ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut target
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking)
    Uninstall ZoneAlarm from shortcut
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking): reboot requested by ZoneAlarm
    Create file ZADelete.bat and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.bat, then save and exit:
    RMDIR /S /Q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Zone Labs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\Internet Logs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\ZoneLabs"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%TEMP%\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Temp\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Prefetch\*"
    Double-click ZADelete.bat
    Create file ZADelete.reg and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.reg, then save and exit:
    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]
    Double-click ZADelete.reg
    Empty Recycle Bin

INSTALL (SAFE MODE BOOT)
    -----------------------------------
    Install ZoneAlarm
    Reboot Normal Mode: reboot requested by ZoneAlarm
    Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Update Now (repeat until no further updates)
    Run virus/spyware scan: requested by ZoneAlarm (enables automatic signature updates)

gfm Guest

Just so I understand.

Upgrades FREQUENTLY fail.

This process you have given me appears to wipe everything out. Thus I will have to re-train ZA on what are good processes and good emails etc.

So FREQENTLY I will have to go through this cumbersome uninstall and reinstall process. And I will be FREQUENTLY re-training ZA.

Is this correct?

hammernu Guest

No ... and yes. No because with a trouble-free installation and subsequent operation, you can backup your security settings (Overview > Preferences > Backup and Restore Security Settings), uninstall, install new version, then restore your security settings. Because you're having problems, I'm hesitant to suggest you backup your settings before uninstalling. So yes, you will have to allow ZoneAlarm to retrain. Once it does retrain
    and all of the necessary responses have been entered (one month?), then backup your settings. The best time to back them up is right before an uninstall/install of new version.

hammernu Guest

One thing you might want to do after the reinstall is set your scanning priority to high. Go to Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Advanced Options > Scan Options > Set scanning priority. Note that doing this will make other processes run slower. I do a full system scan once a week at 3:00 AM using the Scan Schedule feature so I really don't care about other processes.

Change the priority of the scanner. Increase the Priority and thscan speed should speed up.
    A lot of zipped and copressed files will increase the scan times and so will links to other files, folders and partitions (the scaner will scan these twice or more, increasing the scan times).

Windows compressing files to save space will add to the scan times.

Scanning safe files previously saved images and media (previously scanned) does not have to be continuously re-scanned and can be safely excluded from the scans.

Spoolsv.exe is your windows' printer service. This can be safely disabled in the Services if no printer is used or attached.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information