Ok, I have already read to much, I'm afraid. I can deal with complexity, but in updating my Zone Alarm, I don't want to. I have a life outside of Zone Alarm. So, I need to clarify the "simple way" to update my paid-for Zone Alarm Anti-virus product version: 7.0.462.000.
1. First, how does one copy the license code, without resorting to manual copying it?
2. I do not want to do a "clean install!" I just want to update my product. (See my attitude re "complexity" above.) I should not have to do a clean install. (Just imagine if Microsoft forced you to do a version of a "clean install" every time a new service pack was needed. Insanity!)
3. I do not have new hard disk, my XP Pro is stable, I don't use other firewalls, spyware, antivirus products, my drive is big and not fragmented, etc.
4. So, here's what I started to do after reading a smattering of the 465,989,901, or so, posts on how to successfully update Zone Alarm: First, I disabled Zone Alarm from starting when booting. My "pop-up" announcing the new update didn't mention this, at all! Wow, it seems that this is so important, and Zone Alarm failed to point this out.
As a member of this "user" forum, I urge all users to email Zone Alarm to think this omission through! A definite "installation" issue, I feel, and this simple instruction would have probably eliminated two-thirds of the 465, 989, 901, or so, problem installation posts. Don't you think? (Now, since the Zone Alarm people never "monitor" this forum, we people with installation issues have a problem: I could email them myself, alone, but what good would that do? So, we need numbers of people doing this. How else would they know that it's just not me who thinks this would be a good idea? Remember, for some reason, the Zone Alarm employees are, apparently, forbidden from reading this forum on installation issues!)
5. I downloaded a file, using IE, named: zlsSetup_70_470_000_en.exe. But, is this file the right one for ALL products, including my antivirus product, or do need some other file for my specific Anti-virus product? I ask this question because, after I began to run this file, it asked me to consider installing a spyware toolbar---hey, Zone Alarm, I just want to update my program, so don't confuse me...so, I got the impression that this file was not appropriate for "updating" my antivirus program. So, I aborted the installation, and here I am asking these questions. If there is a specific file, other than the one mentioned above, what is the name of it, and the URL?
6. Also, after doing what is recommended here, by anyone wanting to provide suggestions, do I need to "restore" my settings (which I DID backup.) Or, does a "non-clean-install" update retain these settings.
Thank you in advance for any good, and simple, suggestions.
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus