Thread: Anti-virus product--need to clarify "simple" steps to update.

billmelater Guest

Default Anti-virus product--need to clarify "simple" steps to update.

Ok, I have already read to much, I'm afraid. I can deal with complexity, but in updating my Zone Alarm, I don't want to. I have a life outside of Zone Alarm. So, I need to clarify the "simple way" to update my paid-for Zone Alarm Anti-virus product version: 7.0.462.000.

1. First, how does one copy the license code, without resorting to manual copying it?

2. I do not want to do a "clean install!" I just want to update my product. (See my attitude re "complexity" above.) I should not have to do a clean install. (Just imagine if Microsoft forced you to do a version of a "clean install" every time a new service pack was needed. Insanity!)

3. I do not have new hard disk, my XP Pro is stable, I don't use other firewalls, spyware, antivirus products, my drive is big and not fragmented, etc.

4. So, here's what I started to do after reading a smattering of the 465,989,901, or so, posts on how to successfully update Zone Alarm: First, I disabled Zone Alarm from starting when booting. My "pop-up" announcing the new update didn't mention this, at all! Wow, it seems that this is so important, and Zone Alarm failed to point this out.

As a member of this "user" forum, I urge all users to email Zone Alarm to think this omission through! A definite "installation" issue, I feel, and this simple instruction would have probably eliminated two-thirds of the 465, 989, 901, or so, problem installation posts. Don't you think? (Now, since the Zone Alarm people never "monitor" this forum, we people with installation issues have a problem: I could email them myself, alone, but what good would that do? So, we need numbers of people doing this. How else would they know that it's just not me who thinks this would be a good idea? Remember, for some reason, the Zone Alarm employees are, apparently, forbidden from reading this forum on installation issues!)

5. I downloaded a file, using IE, named: zlsSetup_70_470_000_en.exe. But, is this file the right one for ALL products, including my antivirus product, or do need some other file for my specific Anti-virus product? I ask this question because, after I began to run this file, it asked me to consider installing a spyware toolbar---hey, Zone Alarm, I just want to update my program, so don't confuse me...so, I got the impression that this file was not appropriate for "updating" my antivirus program. So, I aborted the installation, and here I am asking these questions. If there is a specific file, other than the one mentioned above, what is the name of it, and the URL?

6. Also, after doing what is recommended here, by anyone wanting to provide suggestions, do I need to "restore" my settings (which I DID backup.) Or, does a "non-clean-install" update retain these settings.

Thank you in advance for any good, and simple, suggestions.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Anti-virus product--need to clarify "simple" steps to update.

Hi!thank you for the detailed description of the updating process.I will try to answer to your questions however for some of them there is really not much to answer.1. No easy way I know apart from writing it down. Did you purchased via ZA? If yes, you should have an e-mail about it. Or you can simply log into your ZA account or if you lost your account details recover them always at the ZA web page.2. Yes, to upgrade you don't need to do that.3. Good! 4. You don't need to close down ZA to update (I never personally do it). However, if you are very concerned that somethingmay happen to you then follow these simple steps:a) Backup your ZA settings (ZA Overview --> preferences tab)b) Download the new installer (via ZA or manually from the ZA support webpage)c) On your current ZA UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (ZA overview --> Preferences tab)d) Re-boot your system - Install the update - Done.Reading this forum is not always a good measure of how good an updateis. Users comes here to ask for support and not to report successful updating. If you consider that there are over 50 million user of ZA than even 100 messages about installation issue with the latest version meansa 0,0...%. So, don't get a false sense of UNsecurity by browsing this forum. :8}5. Where you got this file from? If your ZA is working properly it should have advised you to update to the latest version and direct you to the download page. If it did not and you have not disabled the notification (ZA overview --> preferences tab --> check for update) than there is something wrong with your ZAAV installation. If it did but directed you to a wrong page then please report it to ZA (www.zonelabs.com/tsform). What you downloaded is the ZAfree.6.Whenyou will run the installer it will ask you if you want to do an 'clean install' or 'upgrade. Choose the latter to upgrade.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

billmelater Guest

I WAS notified by Zone Alarm to update to the latest version, and I WAS directed to the download page. I did not take Zone Alarm's advise regarding this---I ignored these directions! And, I have disabled, at least for now, that feature. Why did I do that? I read the posts on this site!

I want to update my product, but NOT by using Zone Alarm's pop-up directions.

I want to know, specifically, what file (for my product, which is the Antivirus product), and at what URL can I get that file? Regarding the file which I downloaded before, and started to run, as mentioned in my original post, I don't remember exactly on what Zone Alarm page I got it from---if someone can direct to me the proper page for the correct file, and the name of the file, I'll download it again! As I indicated in my original post, it is not apparent whether there are multiple update files, one for each product, or one file for all products. This would be good to know.

If this file exists, at some location that I can access, and once I have downloaded this file, using Microsoft Internet Explorer, and when I run this file, after unchecking the load Zone Alarm on startup option and re-booting---should I expect this file to ask me about installing Anti-Spyware toolbars, or other products or features, which is what happened when I tried running the file which I mentioned in my original post, which is not what I expected from a simple update file, which is why I aborted the aforementioned update attempt, noted in my first post?

And, by the way. I do use Firefox, for almost everything. And now millions of other people do, too. I have never had a problem before using Firefox when downloading other exe files, of all sorts. So, I have two questions:

1. Why does Zone Alarm direct people to use Internet Explorer when downloading their update?

2. And if using Firefox has caused so much pain, as it appears that it has as demonstrated on this site, then why hasn't Zone Alarm included such a directive (and a warning) in the now infamously, inadequate "pop-up" update notification?

Thanks for your help.

BML

Message Edited by BillMeLater on 04-15-2008 01:20 PM

Message Edited by BillMeLater on 04-15-2008 01:29 PM

Message Edited by BillMeLater on 04-15-2008 01:30 PM

Message Edited by BillMeLater on 04-15-2008 02:00 PM

Hi!ZA update will direct your to the download page of your ZA.You have full control on the update... the ZA open the webpage where you can download the update.Don't panic, don't read too many forum posts and everything will go well Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information