Thread: HELP! Upgrade Hosed Zone Alarm

brickhouse Guest

Default HELP! Upgrade Hosed Zone Alarm

Just upgraded my Zone Alarm (zlsSetup_70_470_000_en.exe). Now everything is shot to **bleep**.

* Upon system restart, receiving: "ZA failed because VSINT.dll not found. Re-installing might fix."

* Tried uninstalling using "Add/Remove Programs" as was told "cannot uninstall: cannot locate resources needed to uninstall"

* There is no Zone Alarm icon in the tray.

Then a random error showed up talking about TrueVector internet not starting. I tried started and received an "resource cannot be started: did not respond in timely fashion"

HUH?

It was a simple upgrade! All I did was download the executable. Wasn't doing anything else (ie no processes were running, etc). I have a basic Windows XP running sp2....I can't even uninstall the **bleep** thing to do a clean install!

Please...any assistance would be great!

- Brick

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: HELP! Upgrade Hosed Zone Alarm

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>brickhouse wrote:
    Just upgraded my Zone Alarm (zlsSetup_70_470_000_en.exe). Now everything is shot to **bleep**.

* Upon system restart, receiving: "ZA failed because VSINT.dll not found. Re-installing might fix."

* Tried uninstalling using "Add/Remove Programs" as was told "cannot uninstall: cannot locate resources needed to uninstall"

* There is no Zone Alarm icon in the tray.

Then a random error showed up talking about TrueVector internet not starting. I tried started and received an "resource cannot be started: did not respond in timely fashion"

HUH?

It was a simple upgrade! All I did was download the executable. Wasn't doing anything else (ie no processes were running, etc). I have a basic Windows XP running sp2....I can't even uninstall the **bleep** thing to do a clean install!

Please...any assistance would be great!

- Brick

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please read the this ZoneAlarm Link..<P class=headredbig>ZoneAlarm Customer Care<P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 11pt">This Information Applies to:
    All ZoneAlarm Products<xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 11pt">Summary:
    You are getting a validation failed message with vsinit.dll<o></o>http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...on_failed.htmlPlease post back with your progress report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949118005
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3715
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

brickhouse Guest

Following instructions as given...receiving the following error when trying to delete folder:

&quot;Cannot delete zlavscan.dll. Access is denied&quot;

Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>brickhouse wrote:
    Following instructions as given...receiving the following error when trying to delete folder:

"Cannot delete zlavscan.dll. Access is denied"

Very frustrating. Any suggestions?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your feedback.http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif Hmmm... If you Rebooted the computer into SAFE mode.. Tapping ("F8") durring Re-Boot ?No ZoneAlarm files or Drivers including zlavscan.dll are loaded into memory.. So I don't see how access could have been denied? OK.. Please try this Forum Link for ZAFree problems?http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73798
    GeorgeV

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

brickhouse Guest

Yes, I booted under Safe Mode.

FYI, all other files besides zlavscan.dll were deleted successfully, so I continued with the removal. Here are the results:

* Successfully deleted Internet Logs Folder
    * Successfully deleted ZoneAlarm folder under System32
    * Successfully deleted Vsdatant.sys
    * Successfully deleted VSUtil.dll
    * Did NOT successfully delete VSInit.dll

VSInit.dll was not even listed under System32. After doing a search, I found it under &quot;c:\i386&quot; along with vsdatant. I don't recall ever changing my Zone Alarm installation folder and have no idea why these files were located here. Nevertheless, I deleted them both successfully.

I then rebooted the system in normal mode and downloaded the latest free Zone Alarm executable (using Internet Explorer as recommended). I followed the installations instructions, rebooted and now things are back to normal (albeit w/out previous config). The only difference between this installation and the failed upgrade was:

1. This was obviously a clean install
    2. I changed the default folder under Program Files from Zone Labs to ZoneAlarm
    3. I unchecked that new &quot;SpyBlocker&quot; toolbar program (in the failed upgrade, I tried it out)

In conclusion, not sure about that &quot;zlavscan.dll&quot;. I have no idea how to delete it nor can I anticipate what effects it will have on my system. Having an orphaned dll that's loaded in memory isn't ideal but not sure if there's much I can do. Will just have to pay attention.

I do have to recognize GeorgeV for pretty remarkable response times, especially for a forum about free software. While I've now become a bit hesitant about Zone Alarm upgrades, it's nice to know the product forum has people like him.

Thanks.

Thank you for those Kind words..Here is another bit of Information about ZAFree Verion 7.0.XXX1.) Unlike the ZAFree ver. 6.xxx that was just the Basic Firewall..the ZAFree ver. 7.0.xxx is really a modified version of the Full Security Suite..When Installing you are offered a Free 15 Day trial of the Full Security Suite..2.) But even if you decline the Free Trial, all of those Extra ZASS Modules are installed onto your HDD, and may conflict with any instaleed 3rd party Security programs, that may Conflict with or even prevent ZAFree from being installed..3) - please list other security software - ex. - anti-spyware: Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, SpyCatcher,etc.= these should be temporarily shut-off/ shut-downprior to installing ZA; monitoring/performance software - system mechanics, norton utilties/ backups/ ghosts---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949132080
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3715--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949132080
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV