Thread: Computer Associates Anti-virus (E-Trust) Real-time scanning broken by Zone Alarm

baz8755 Guest

Default Computer Associates Anti-virus (E-Trust) Real-time scanning broken by Zone Alarm

I have happily been runinng Computer associates Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm free for many years.
    Obviously I am running ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000 due to conflicts with later versions.
    However I have just built a brand new machine using these 2 programs and now find that whenever I installed Zonealarm it will cripple the real-time scanning of the antivirus software. Uninstalling Zonealarm returns things to normal.
    I have 2 other machines running the same configuration with no issues.
    The other interesting thing to note is that ZoneAlarms AV monitoring seems to show to instances of the AV.
    I have even tried a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP2 and no matter which order I install the 2 programs the problem still exists.
    Suggestions anyone
    Machine SpecPentium 4 Dual core 3.73 Ghz2GB Ram2 Hard DrivesUSB card reader showing as 4 drivesNvidia 8600GTS

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Computer Associates Anti-virus (E-Trust) Real-time scanning broken by Zone Alarm

I would really suggest running the latest versions of these programs. Many, many problems have been fixed since the 6.5 versions. True, there have been some minor problems along the way but they now seem to all be fixed. You can get the latest versions by going here:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...comparison.jsp
    and clicking on the "Try Now" or "Download" button.

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Computer Associates Anti-virus (E-Trust) Real-time scanning broken by Zone Alarm

I should have added that you need to boot into Safe Mode to do the uninstalls. That way, no extraneous routines or services will be running and causing interference. I also recommend doing the installs in Safe Mode for the same reason.

baz8755 Guest

Thanks,
    I have only just read your reply having worked out the same solution this afternoon (didn't do the safe mode but though, but all seems OK).
    The problem arose from the fact that I hadn't upgraded from version 6.5 ZA due to its insisting that I uninstall my A/V. However this afternoon I unistalled both ZA and my AV and then installed the latest ZA first, followed by my AV.
    So far all looks good.
    Cheers
    Baz

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>baz8755 wrote:
    I have happily been runinng Computer associates Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm free for many years.Obviously I am running ZoneAlarm 6.5.737.000 due to conflicts with later versions.However I have just built a brand new machine using these 2 programs and now find that whenever I installed Zonealarm it will cripple the real-time scanning of the antivirus software. Uninstalling Zonealarm returns things to normal.I have 2 other machines running the same configuration with no issues.The other interesting thing to note is that ZoneAlarms AV monitoring seems to show to instances of the AV.I have even tried a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP2 and no matter which order I install the 2 programs the problem still exists.Suggestions anyoneMachine SpecPentium 4 Dual core 3.73 Ghz2GB Ram2 Hard DrivesUSB card reader showing as 4 drivesNvidia 8600GTS

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum.. It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

"I am running ZoneAlarm Free 6.5.737.000 due to conflicts with later versions"Are you also running an older version of Computer associates Anti-Virus?If you have update "Computer associates Anti-Virus" then maybe there have been some changes or added features to "Computer associates Anti-Virus" that may be conflicting with ZAFree?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>baz8755 wrote:
    Thanks,I have only just read your reply having worked out the same solution this afternoon (didn't do the safe mode but though, but all seems OK).The problem arose from the fact that I hadn't upgraded from version 6.5 ZA due to its insisting that I uninstall my A/V. However this afternoon I unistalled both ZA and my AV and then installed the latest ZA first, followed by my AV.So far all looks good.CheersBaz
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your feedback on your successful upgrade..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information