Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of **bleep** Anti-virus

sgolux Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of **bleep** Anti-virus

Hello.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 improvements applied.
    I am running ZoneAlarm (Free Version) 7.1.254.000 (NOT ZoneAlarm Pro)
    I am also running **bleep**! Anti-Virus version 4.8.1169

Problem is that after my computer is up for a while, especially if I have done some extensive and fierce web browsing, on either Internet Explorer (version 7.0.6001.18000) or Firefox (version 2.0.0.14), either or both browsers will stop working. Other internet traffic will continue just fine (email, ping, etc) it is just HTTP traffic that seems to stall out and the browsers will wait forever (literally) to load pages.

After some substantial debugging, I have determined that the problem is not with **bleep** generally, but with the "Webshield" component of **bleep**. If I disable that component, it appears that everything works fine.

Note that if I just turn off "Intelligent Scanning" in the Webshield component of **bleep**, Internet Explorer seems to work fine even if "Enable Scan" is turned on. In that configuration, however, Firefox can choke.

Only if I completely disable Webshield in **bleep** (while zonealarm is running) can I continue to use both browsers indefinately.

It seems that I can either have ZoneAlarm, or I can have **bleep** with Webshield, but not both.

I have read on various places on the 'net about known incompatibilities between ZoneAlarm Pro and the Webshield component of **bleep**. However, I am not useing ZoneAlarm Pro.

Does anyone know of any subtle configuration tweak or hack that I can use to get both these working? Can the folks at CheckPoint and the folks at ALWIL speak to one another, and see if there is a way around this?

Many thanks.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of **bleep** Anti-virus

Not too sure about *beep*, but make sure the Network Guard (not the web scanner) is disabled. This is usually a worm protection for a liited number of ports and will conflict with a software firewall.
    Also make sure the email safe of the ZA is off- using two email scanners will conflict. I would trust the antivirus scanning of the emails to be superior of the file extension filtering of the ZA.
    Plus make sure the *beep* applications has Trusted server rights allowed in the ZA program listing. Along with the trusted and internet access and email rights. And of course three green bars.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of A *v-a*s -t Anti-virus

Web Shield [img]http://support.**bleep**.com/themes/client_asw/space.gif[/img]How to

What is Web Shield and how does it work?Solution

Starting from the version 4.6. **bleep**! comes with a new on-access scanning provider - Web Shield.
    It is able to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. It s implemented as a HTTP proxy running on your PC.
    Connections from your Web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content it scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only the clean data is delivered to the browser, every malware is stopped before it gets saved on your PC.

http://support.**bleep**.com/index.p...kbarticleid=19

http://support.**bleep**.com/index.p...kbarticleid=22 = did you configure
    <> insert proper name for A*v-a-s*t for
    **bleep**<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-01-2008 08:36 PM

sgolux Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of [a v a s t] Anti-virus

Sorry, by the way, I didn't realize CheckPoint would bleep the word [a v a s t] as one of their competitors (I guess). Unless they just want to discourage pirate-like conversation on their forums.

Thanks for the input. I had tried setting my proxies to localhost, as per the [a v a s t] forums, but my browser just stops working then.

The folks at [a v a s t] have pointed me to the beta-release of their most recent software, and encouraged me to try it. The link there is here (you will have to replace the bleep with, you guessed it, [a v a s t]:

http://forum.**bleep**.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

I chose not to because that was posted on April 10 with a guess of a 1-2 week official release. If there is a problem holding up the beta, I don't want to deal with it, and if not, the official version should be out very soon to try.

Many thanks all for your insight on this.

rick_f Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free seems to be incompatible with Webshield component of **bleep** Anti-virus

FYI... The 'webshield' of 'a v a s t'

is not firewall like.
    'Webshield' scans for viruses as the page is downloading.
    It's just extra protection and works very well with older versions of ZA.
    I'm still running ZA - 7.0.302.000.

Never had any issues with the web scanners of NOD32, KAV or AntiVir. The extra layer of protection of the http packets filtered for malware, javascript exploits, viri and troyans before they enter the window sockets/ports does give a lot of extra security and it is worth it.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sgolux Guest

All the more reason it would be great if [a v a s t] engineers and zonelabs engineers could get together and solve this problem. Clearly the [a v a s t] community seems to feel that the zonelabs community shuns them. (Beeping the name of the software is a clear indication, and seems just petty and downright immature). Here is a link to the [a v a s t] forum discussion of this... of course you will have to replace the **bleep** with &quot;a v a s t&quot; with no spaces:

http://forum.**bleep**.com/index.php?topic=35131.0

Vista is new and so is the ZA for the Vista, and so is the antivirus you are using for the Vista.
    Likely to have issues somwhere or somehow.

Try this.
    Uninstall both av and fw.
    Run a file/reg cleaner such as CCleaner or whatever.
    Install first the AV and finish the new startup and get in settled in.
    Cold boot again and then install the ZA.
    Maybe doing it the AV installed first and then the FW installed will work.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sgolux Guest

This is a great idea -- and pretty much what I did do. In fact I tried installing first the AV and the FW, then first the FW and then the AV. The only thing I didn't do was the reg cleaner... I am highly skeptical of that class of software, and besides, given my symptoms, I don't think it is a registry problem. Given that I can turn off the web shield portion of the Anti-virus software, and restart my browswers, and then they work fine without even rebooting suggests to me that this is not a registry problem but a resource problem. Thanks for the great advice though.

After disabling the web scanner and opening the browsers, will the browsing session continue properly after the webscanner is re-enabled or will the original problem persist?

Open the lspconflict.txt (if found) in the windows\internet logs and post the results.
    But I seriously doubt it is a simple lsp conflict, and more than likely a conflict with the ndis or tcp/ip drivers between the av and the fw.

By any chance the vista windows firewall is not just off, but also disabled in the services too (to make sure it is completely off)?
    This does run some drivers in the background if it is set to off - only disabling it will stop the drivers in vista.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information