I have been using ZA free firewall for many years now. I have never had a problem with it until today. In a nutshell, I got a notice that there was an update, I downloaded the file, and after doubleclicking on the file, the update failed. I then noticed that ZA was no longer in my system tray, it was no longer in my start menu, and when I checked Add/Remove in my Control Panel, there was no longer an entry for ZA.
So I downloaded the installation file for ZA free firewall again and doubleclicked on it. Actually, I've done this several times. Each time, I get a popup window that says that TrueVector is still running and to stop it using my services window. The thing is, when I check Services, TrueVector isn't currently started.
I've run several antivirus scans and have also checked my system with HijackThis. All show that my PC is free of malware. Additionally, I've removed registry settings of ZA-related entries. But still I get the popup window about TrueVector.
OK, here are the formalities:
1. I haven't run any other firewalls EVER on this PC
2. I used Firefox to download the file to my desktop and then double clicked on it. I didn't use any download managers or web accelerators.
3. Windows Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware. (No, I don't use a resident anti-virus program; I know some people think that's unwise, but I don't like any of them enough to trust to my machine.) All are off at the moment.
4. Firefox, but later I retired with IE 7 and had the same trouble.
5. Not applicable, as far as I can tell.
6. Not applicable. I am able to download the installation program just fine.
7. No anti-virus software.
8. ZA is not in the tray.
I'm using a fully patched version of Windows XP Professional SP2.
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)