Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation-Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware updates

tddzdm Guest

Default Installation-Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware updates

I recently downloaded Zone Alarm Security Suite. (7.0.473.000) All has gone well with the install except for two issues:
    1)On the anti-virus/anti-spyware tab, it tells me there is "attention needed." It give me a hyper-link to update nti-virus/anti-spyware. When I do, the update progress pop up tells me that there has been an error. The http response code said error (http://upd.zonelabs.com/zonealarm/online//catalog.zip) If I understand this right, I am not getting updated virus editions. Can you assist?

2)Also, I have been using the Carbonite online back up system. Since I have installed Zone Alarm, when trying to update, the program uses 100% of system resources, and seems unable to send information. I have gone into the firewall settings and marked Carbonite as "trusted," but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Can you assist?
    Thanks,
    TZ

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Installation-Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware updates

1) Problems with update. Sounds like the ZoneAlarm update files have been corrupted. Do the following:

1) Boot into Safe Mode

2) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\Updates

3) Delete all files & folders

4) Boot into Normal Mode

5) Re-run Update

2) Problem with Carbonite. Do the following:
    Go to Program Control > Progams tab, click on the Carbonite entry and delete it. ZoneAlarm should re-establish the entry on the next access, possibly giving you a popup window to respond to.

tddzdm Guest

Followed your direction:

1)Update corruption--doesn't seem to have helped. Same issue. Folder is empty but nothing has changed.

2)Carbonite--didn't work either.

Next step???

Thanks,
    TZ

hammernu Guest

First, make absolutely certain you are not actively running any other security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall). Many products, such as Norton and Spyware Doctor, are known to conflict. At this point, I recommend an uninstall followed by an install (not as bad as it sounds). I'm not going to have you back up and then later restore your settings since you're already having problems. Follow these steps:
    Download ZASS 7.0.473.0 from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...473_000_en.exe

UNINSTALL
    --------------
    Append " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes) to ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut target
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking)
    Uninstall ZoneAlarm from shortcut
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking): reboot requested by ZoneAlarm
    Create file ZADelete.bat and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.bat, then save and exit:
    RMDIR /S /Q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Zone Labs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\Internet Logs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\ZoneLabs"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%TEMP%\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Temp\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Prefetch\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsconfig.xml"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdata.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdata95.vxd"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdatant.sys"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsinit.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsmonapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vspubapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsregexp.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsutil.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vswmi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsxml.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zlcomm.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zlcommdb.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F /AH "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\z?lictbl.dat"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zpeng24.dll"
    PAUSE
    Double-click ZADelete.bat
    Create file ZADelete.reg and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.reg, then save and exit:
    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VXD\vsdata95]
    Double-click ZADelete.reg
    Empty Recycle Bin

INSTALL (SAFE MODE BOOT)
    -----------------------------------
    Install ZoneAlarm
    Reboot Normal Mode: reboot requested by ZoneAlarm
    Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Update Now (repeat until no further updates)
    Run virus/spyware scan: requested by ZoneAlarm (enables automatic signature updates)

tddzdm Guest

O.K. thanks for your help...

FYI, I have recently uninstalled Norton from my computer. I used the additional uninstaller they offer to completely remove all traces of the program from my computer.

Also, I do have copy of LavaSoft's Ad-Aware on my computer. Does that need to be uninstalled? It is not active all the time--I manually initiate the program.

Also, I unistalled and reinstalled carbonite. I received the permission prompts from Zone Alarm. the program seemed to work for a time, but then the same problem has reappeared.

I have moderate experience with computers, but you're bringing me into new areas.

Questions:

You're going to have to fill in some steps with me on the locations of where to find/edit these other files.

1)where do I "append '/clean/rmlicense' (without quotes) to ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut target (I don't know where/what/how to find this file.

2)how do i uninstall Zone Alarm from short cut

3)where do I create file ZADelete.bat

4)I should be able to cut and paste this code. (Is there anything specific to my computer that I need to add into these commands?)

That's all I have now. Thanks for your patience.

hammernu Guest

1) For where to append
    the " /clean /rmlicense", Click on Start > All Programs > ZoneAlarm, then right-click on "Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security" and click on Properties. Now append to
    (add to the end of)
    the Target field " /clean /rmlicense". Just to make sure you're clear, when I say "click on Start > All Programs > ZoneAlarm", I mean to click on Start, click on All Programs, click on ZoneAlarm.
    2) To uninstall from the shortcut, simply click on Start > All Programs > ZoneAlarm > Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security. The reason you're uninstalling from here and not Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel is because we've modified the shortcut.
    3) You can create ZADelete.bat and ZADelete.reg on the Desktop or anywhere you want. You may want to save them for the next time you need
    to do clean install, but you can delete them after double-clicking them (to execute them) if you wish.
    4) Yes, you can just cut and paste the code; I would recommend copy and paste so if there's a problem, the source is still available.
    Good luck. Post your results and we'll go from there.

tddzdm Guest

Accomplished all the tasks. Appended uninstall shortcut target. Rebooted in safemode and uninstalled from shortcut. Rebooted in Safe Mode. Created and installed the ZADelete.bat and ZADelete.reg files. Re-installed ZoneAlarm in Safe Mode, Rebooted.

AND.....

Same error messages as the beginning... #@%(#@!

What's next?

Thanks, TZ

tddzdm Guest

Additional information:

When I click the anti-virus/anti-spyware update link, the box pops up and shows the error. Then the dialog box hangs and needs the "End Program" prompt to stop.

tddzdm Guest

One more thing:

On the program control tab of the Suite control panel, the program "Zone Alarm Updating Client" is marked "System," has checks Access--Trusted & Internet, but has X's by Server--Trusted & Internet, as well as an "X" by send mail. Are these correct settings?

hammernu Guest

Yes, those are the same settings that I have for the ZoneAlarm Updating Client, with a question mark in the Trust Level. I have no idea why you still can't update. The only thing I can add is that you should never use a download accelerator to download the ZoneAlarm install program. They've been known to corrupt the download. Maybe some of the gurus in this forum such as fax, Naive Melody
    and Oldsod will see this post and have some other suggestions. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information