Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to uninstall but appears many horror stories say it aint so simple?

yizzit Guest

Default Want to uninstall but appears many horror stories say it aint so simple?

Hi and thanks for this boardI have the free version of ZA and keep getting message to updatethe "free ZA suite update"
    Aha-- not so fast- it wants me to commit to a trial of
    some free productin order to get the ZA suite. Well, that just aint gonna happen-
    Though I appreciate that
    ZA has been free for years - I resent
    the
    switch from free to
    "committal" to any other product trial just to continue the update.

I've surfed the web for the uninstall process
    which resulted in
    plenty of horror storiesby many users who either cannot
    uninstall or if they did, their PC is damaged.It appears that ZA has taken their PC hostage and I don't need this grief.
    I've decided that ZA does not comport with the type of business I wish touse - and want to uninstall [permanently]

To get help - what
    do I need to post here aside from using a PC with IE and
    XPAnd will the uninstall cause serious problems or damage to my PC?
    If so- I guess I will be paying for "free" ZA after all, if I have to take the PC to atech service,
    since I am just above a doorknob's knowledge with computers......

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Want to uninstall but appears many horror stories say it aint so simple?

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!Sorry to hear you are not interested in ZA anymore and as far as I know, there is still a FREE Basic Version of ZA. Anyway, if your mind is made up and want to uninstall ZA, PLEASE go to the following thread, THANKS.http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=50830#M72000PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

yizzit Guest

Default Re: Want to uninstall but appears many horror stories say it aint so simple?

Thank you Slyfox for your kind reply and link
    That link has only 1 post and one reply asking
    the poster a question[no answers as yet]
    I'll keep reading- I have copied some uninstall directions posted herebut - really am uncomfortable regarding a successful uninstall becauseit advises using safemode.
    [Using
    Safe mode [from what I've read elsewhere]
    is not advisable
    when uninstalling ZA]but why I do not know...........

I think I may just have to take the PC to a tech to get rid of thisinvasive program because
    uninstall
    is quite worrisome and it isn't worth jeapordizing my computer....I should never have installed it - so it's my own fault.
    As somebody said "it doesn't cost anything to pay attention"

Please read this Very Good Forum Link by senior Contributor NaiveMelody..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=73798you can Download the Current ZAFree from this link..http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.473.000 name=7.0.473.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.473.000<UL class=body><LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed compatibility issue with public beta of ForceField </LI>[/list]<LI>Other improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Various stability improvements. </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.470.000 name=7.0.470.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm version 7.0.470.000<UL class=body><LI>Usability improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Fixed the issue where in some cases the client would lose settings, causing user to respond to alerts that otherwise would not appear <LI>Prevent unnecessary error dialog to be displayed for non-Admin users <LI>Client can now be started in safe mode (with networking only) for antivirus scan and removal </LI>[/list]<LI>Compatibility improvements: <UL class=body><LI>Enable content filtering and privacy when ForceField is active <LI>Fixed the Spy Doctor Gate to only gate for 5.0 and earlier <LI>Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV </LI>[/list]<LI>Various other stability and performance improvements </LI>[/list]

Please Post back with your progess Report..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950882172
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3855
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

PLEASE believe me, it is NOT that difficult to remove ZA. In fact here is a real simple way of removing it, if you are interested.http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...d=51062#M74933Just follow the basic instructions that is posted in the above thread.If you decide to use these instructions, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you are NOT Connected to the Internet, as you will not be protected.So, if you decide not to continue to use ZAand usesome other vendor brand firewall, I highly suggest you download some type of Firewall program, prior to removing your current ZA Program, so you can be protected when you go back on to the Internet.YES, there are several threads of uninstall instructions on this forum. It depends on how you feel about using them. Not always you have to go into Safe Mode, unless there is an issue that you have no other option but to use Safe Mode. It is your decision on ZA and if you need help, I would be most happy to help you or any other Volunteer on this forum.Good Luck.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

yizzit Guest

OKThanks to you both for your input- I am certainly not being negative forthe sake of it.
    I would reconsider using ZA but when I got the message that it was going out of datethe only selection given to me was ZA suite [free version]
    It is NOT free because it requires that I try 15 to 30 days of things like &quot;Discover credit card&quot;and other products. I find this quite offensive~
    My questions:1] Is ZA suite the only free version available for update? [it certainly didn't show any other options]
    2] Why can't I just update the free version that I have?3]
    Or -- from what I understand, the only way
    to maintain

a &quot;free ZA version&quot; is tounistall my current free version and reinstall from the &quot;history&quot; of free versions?[wouldn't it be nice if ZA told me that in the &quot;update warning&quot;?
    Thanks for your wonderful help and links

Only One of the ZoneAlarm Version is FREE.. and That is ZAFree 7.0.473.000..What you may be refering to is that ALL ZoneAlarm Free Versions 7.0.xxx now include the Full Security Suite.. (as a Marketing Ploy to try and get FREE Users to try and Buy the Paid Version..)Most Security Companies need to sale Paid Version to stay in Business and pay the Manhours needed to Improve or Upgrade their product..1.) Durring the Install Process you must pay Close Attention to the process.. Because it will ask you if you want to Try the 15 day Trial of the security Suite..2.) If you Only want the FREE Basic Firewall, then Decline the 15 Day trial..3.) there is another Free Option you can Decline the Addition of the ASK.COM ToolBAR..Here is a Direct WLink to the current ZAFree http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950902293
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3855
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 05-13-2008 05:01 PM
    GeorgeV

yizzit Guest

Hey George thanksabunch!If you Only want the FREE Basic Firewall, then Decline the 15 Day trial..
    OK--
    then the update warning purposely brought me to the suite...but there was NOplace to decline~ that is what frazzed me fer sure X-(
    If I understand you correctly I need to go to the freeby linkhttp://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    to
    avoid the &quot;suite&quot; download / I do understand that ZA needs to support itselfI certainly don't begrudge them that. Just do it in a way that doesn'tsurprise or alienate its users-
    Once I go to the above
    link- am I just downloading the latest freeby?Or - do I still have to unistall first [and which uninstall posted here is the bestway to go?]
    [geez- sorry to be a pain ]I'm even
    getting on my own nerves asking all these questionsKaty

yizzit Guest

Default Re: this is the version I have now

Just occurred to me to check the version I have
    ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>yizzit wrote:
    Hey George thanksabunch!If you Only want the FREE Basic Firewall, then Decline the 15 Day trial..OK-- then the update warning purposely brought me to the suite...but there was NOplace to decline~ that is what frazzed me fer sure X-(If I understand you correctly I need to go to the freeby linkhttp://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmltoavoid the "suite" download / I do understand that ZA needs to support itselfI certainly don't begrudge them that. Just do it in a way that doesn'tsurprise or alienate its users-Once I go to the above link- am I just downloading the latest freeby?Or - do I still have to unistall first [and which uninstall posted here is the bestway to go?][geez- sorry to be a pain ]I'm evengetting on my own nerves asking all these questionsKaty
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..You have already Opened Pandora's Box.. :0
    You best Option to Avoid more Upgrade Notices for the Paid Version is to do a Clean Un-Install\-------------------------------Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

1.) Download a Current Copy of Zone Alarm Security Suite from
    ZA website in the release history section.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html(Note if you still have the ZAFree Install file, You can Use it, But Remember NOT to Accept the 15 day Trial)

2.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"
    3.) Reboot Computer to Remove Zone Alarm drivers from Memory..
    4.) Temporarily shut down any other AV/AS Security programs that May Conflict with ZA Install

5..) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    - Reboot

Now Start again in the Safe mode (F8)and delete these files in the Windows Directory:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Now Reboot

Using something like this Freeware CCleaner &lt;--- http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
    , will help do the cleanup as well on both the Hard drive and the Registry

Now Re-install the ZAFree program now. Accept the Default Setting (But Not the 15 Day Trial or ASK.COM toolBar)Choose Auto-Learn and Choose Trusted Zone not the Internet Zone..Good Luck..
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information