Thread: Zonealarm and XP SP3?

korbit Guest

Default Zonealarm and XP SP3?

I recently installed Windows XP Professional SP2 on my computer and updated it to SP3 to avoid downloading countless other patches. I installed AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Threatfire and it ran fine for about a day, then it stopped booting properly. The system would freeze up at the desktop during bootup and requred a hard restart. I booted into safemode and uninstalled ZoneAlarm and Threatfire thinking the cause of the lockups was being caused by one of these 2 programs.

Can anyone here please respond if they are running either Threatfire or ZoneAlarm (or both) under XP SP3? I'm trying to figure out which program is at fault.

SP3 came out on May 6th, so its still very new, and incompatabilities may not have been found yet.

Thanks,
    Korbit

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

korbit Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm and XP SP3?

After checking ThreatFires website it would seem that there is an incompatibility between ThreatFire and AVG8. The issue is caused when updating between TF v. 3.0.14.16 and TF v. 3.5.0.21.

If you use ThreatFire and AVG, check ThreatFires website to avoid any issues.

I would still like a reply on the ZA and SP3 thing though.

Thanks,
    Korbit

ZoneAlarm runs Smoothly on WinXP SP3..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950964410
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3875
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Korbit wrote:
    I recently installed Windows XP Professional SP2 on my computer and updated it to SP3 to avoid downloading countless other patches. I installed AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Threatfire and it ran fine for about a day, then it stopped booting properly. The system would freeze up at the desktop during bootup and requred a hard restart. I booted into safemode and uninstalled ZoneAlarm and Threatfire thinking the cause of the lockups was being caused by one of these 2 programs.

Can anyone here please respond if they are running either Threatfire or ZoneAlarm (or both) under XP SP3? I'm trying to figure out which program is at fault.

SP3 came out on May 6th, so its still very new, and incompatabilities may not have been found yet.

Thanks,
    Korbit

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    <H2>Only AMD systems affected, says former Microsoft security manager
    XP SP3 is causing some AMD machines to reboot endlessly. Users aren't able to enter Safe Mode. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and identified two potential causes. It has posted workarounds on a company blog.</H2><H2><NAMESPACE prefix="o" ns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif[/img]ffice[img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif[/img]ffice" /><P id=first_paragraph>May 9, 2008 (Computerworld) Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 sends some PCs into an endless series of reboots, according to posts to a Microsoft support forum.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:951016393
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3875
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903</H2>

GeorgeV

glynderi Guest

Well, it may run on XP SP3, but when I installed SP3 yesterday (and the installation seemed to go well) my problems started after the statutory reboot.
    My wife &amp; I share the PC using Fast User Switching. Basically she could log on and use the PC okay. There were several Zone Alarm Security Suite alerts and Windows Live Messenger needed to sort itself out. After that, she could use the computer without problems.
    But, I couldn't get the computer to work properly when I logged on. A ZASECSuite alert about svchost.exe sat there permanently and wouldn't be &quot;allowed&quot; or clicked on.
    I had to reboot (several times) and go into Safe Mode. Once I uninstalled ZASS, all has been well.
    I haven't reinstalled.
    Now running CounterSpy V2.Also BOClean.
    I think that there's an issue somewhere.
    Robin

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Glynderi wrote:
    Well, it may run on XP SP3, but when I installed SP3 yesterday (and the installation seemed to go well) my problems started after the statutory reboot.My wife &amp; I share the PC using Fast User Switching. Basically she could log on and use the PC okay. There were several Zone Alarm Security Suite alerts and Windows Live Messenger needed to sort itself out. After that, she could use the computer without problems.But, I couldn't get the computer to work properly when I logged on. A ZASECSuite alert about svchost.exe sat there permanently and wouldn't be "allowed" or clicked on.I had to reboot (several times) and go into Safe Mode. Once I uninstalled ZASS, all has been well.I haven't reinstalled.Now running CounterSpy V2.Also BOClean.I think that there's an issue somewhere.Robin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..I have Only seen two Forum Links that deal with "Fast-User Switching"1.) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=70288#M479952.) There may be a Conflict by other Security programs with ZoneAlarm that may be afecting your Fast-User Switching..If you have a Valid ZoneAlarm License Key, you may contact ZA Tech Support Directly at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (Preferably with IE7)--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:951017254
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3885
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV

sunfamily Guest

I have a problem with XP+SP3. I installed the latest Zone Alarm version 8.0.298.0. During installation i had to install KB943232 for the service pack that i am having and asked for permission to install the same. After giving permission the following error came up &quot;setup has detected that the service pack version of the system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update&quot;

I had to abort the installation. Could someone tell me how to overcome this situation.

Regards
    Sunny

Thread Information