Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "vsmonapi.dll is not a valid windows image," can't access ZA control panel

ugh Guest

Default "vsmonapi.dll is not a valid windows image," can't access ZA control panel

I have ZA free,
    version 6.5 and have been having trouble with vsmonapi.dll.
    For ages ZA was perfect, but suddenly, as soon as anyone on this computer logged in, an error message telling me that "vsmonapi.dll" is not a valid windows image pops up and ZA control center doesn't start. The firewall is still functional, but I can't access any settings and it can't update itself or change settings on whether or not to block programs, which is a problem considering I have Firefox set to update itself. Now, ZA blocks Firefox from accessing the internet, because it's updated itself. I do still have internet access though, since I'm using the diseased computer to write this post, just through Internet Explorer (*gag*).
    The reson for this I think is a hard drive error. I had to reinstall windows once on this computer, so it's dying and we have a new one, but I'd still like to keep this running as long as I can, considering the other computer
    is a Vista laptop. I figure that both the problem I mention in the next paragraph and the vsmonapi.dll (as well as a completely unrelated to ZA problem with Directx (solved)) have been caused by a similar C:\ drive meltdown.
    I could easily remedy this by simply doing a system restore to before Firefox updated itself and setting it to not update itself, but A. I still couldn't access controls to ZA, and B. when I try to do a system restore, I get 2 error messages, one saying that the system restore could not continue and the other says "The file or directory C:\System Volume Information\_restore{1E1CD5D2-F88D-4569-B1B4-46BC5949BCA}\rp143 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility." Well this is all fine and dandy, I run chkdsk and it solves nothing.
    A way to solve both of these problems would be to completely remove ZA from my system and reinstall. But of course, there's a problem with vsmonapi.dll again when I try to uninstall, clean or not clean, therefore I try to do a clean uninstall in safe-mode as directed to by this post http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...message.id=103. Now of course, something is causing my computer to not run in safe-mode. I try to reboot in safe-mode and the list of files scrolls down the screen as usual, but gets stuck and the hard drive is whizzing away, but it gets no where. I have no clue why this happens.
    Now that you know what a pain in the *** this is, I'm asking:IS THERE A WAY TO DO A CLEAN UNINSTALL WITHOUT THE CONTROL CENTER AND WITHOUT SAFE-MODE?!?!?!?!
    -He who has many patients, is a busy doctor

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by Ugh on 05-15-2008 04:39 PM

hammernu Guest

Default Re: "vsmonapi.dll is not a valid windows image," can't access ZA control panel

I have the Suite, but you should also have a checkbox in the options saying something like "Load ZoneAlarm at Startup". Uncheck it and reboot. ZoneAlarm will not be running and you can do a successful uninstall.

ugh Guest

Default Re: "vsmonapi.dll is not a valid windows image," can't access ZA control panel

It's not that I don't have that option, it's that I can't access the option to turn it off. If I could, I wouldn't be posting this.
    The problem is that I can't run "zonealarm.exe" or the uninstall application. The uninstall won't run because of the TrueVector software running, (ZA) and I can't turn off ZA or access settings to tell it not to activate itself. I also can't just delete "vsmonapi.dll" and try to continue, because access is denied when I try to do anything to the file.
    Unless there's a way to access the options without "zonealarm.exe," I can't uncheck that box.
    Grrrr!:manmad:
    -Remember
    that no one had computers
    20 years ago...
    so they never had these problems!

Message Edited by Ugh on 05-15-2008 04:39 PM

hammernu Guest

You should be able to do a clean uninstall in Safe Mode with the following:

Create file ZADelete.bat and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.bat, then save and exit:
    RMDIR /S /Q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Zone Labs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\Internet Logs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\ZoneLabs"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%TEMP%\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Temp\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\Prefetch\*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsconfig.xml"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdata.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdata95.vxd"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsdatant.sys"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsinit.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsmonapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vspubapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsregexp.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsutil.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vswmi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\vsxml.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zlcomm.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zlcommdb.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F /AH "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\z?lictbl.dat"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\zpeng24.dll"
    PAUSE
    Double-click ZADelete.bat
    Create file ZADelete.reg and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.reg, then save and exit:
    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VXD\vsdata95]
    Double-click ZADelete.reg
    Empty Recycle Bin

ugh Guest

As I said in my first post, I can't reboot in safe-mode for reasons unknown, which is why I'm bothering you all instead of just looking up how to uninstall.
    -"I'm so mad, I'm seeing red!" exclaimed an angry man.-"Lucky you!" replied his friend "I'm color blind!"

hammernu Guest

Sorry, I missed that part about Safe Mode having problems. The only other thing I can think of doing is boot from the Windows XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. Although I've never done it myself, it should behave like a Command (DOS prompt) window. You should be able to carry out the instructions from my prior post.

ugh Guest

O.K, I'm no expert on computers (especially DOS) by a long shot,
    and I had issues.
    I got to the recovery console fine, then tried to run ZAdelete.bat by entering the following:
    C:\WINDOWS2>ZAdelete.bat(the "C:\WINDOWS2>" was automatically there)
    I did this
    because I made the files in the windows directory, figuring I'd be able to access them easily there. After hitting enter, I got an invalid command error and was told to press help for a list of valid commands. I looked through the list and saw BATCH, which executes commands in a text file. I figured this would work with ZAdelete.bat and ZAdelete.reg and indeed it did find ZAdelete.bat, but none of the commands worked, I just got a long list of "invalid command" and "invalid parameters" errors.
    Then, I tried putting in the commands in ZAdelete.bat directly into the console (because sure enough, one of the commands listed in HELP was RMDIR, the first line of text). I got a "Invalid parameters" message for the first line of ZAdelete.bat, and since I know little of DOS, I didn't want to fool around with the command to try to make it work, fearing permanent
    damage to
    the computer.
    I recommend you check out the recovery console yourself and look at the commands it recognizes and
    figure out how to do it in the recovery console,
    or else tell me that I won't do permanent damage to my computer (I have all my files backed up, so if I delete something inadvertently, I can fix it) and what you mean to accomplish by each line of code so I can try to adapt them to the
    recovery console. Some are obvious, of course, like the first line wants to delete the Zone Labs directory.
    If you choose the latter, should I use underscore (_) in directory names that have spaces such as Zone Labs in the first line of ZAdelete.bat or just spaces?

hammernu Guest

I just got your message now and am going to try the Recovery Console. I'll let you know what I find.

hammernu Guest

I just tried out the Recovery Console for the first time. It appears that most of C: is protected against change. I tried to change directory (CD) to several directories and was not allowed.
    Ah, but I just got another idea! Format a bootable floppy disk and copy ZADelete.bat and ZADelete.reg to it. Then boot from the floppy and run the two files by double-clicking them. That should work.
    Post back and let me know if you have any success.

ugh Guest

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm angry, it still didn't work! I booted off the floppy fine, then I ran ZAdelete.bat and for every command I got "invalid switch x."X is whatever the first letter after the command was, so for the first line, I would have gotten the message:
    Invalid switch

/S
    Would it be possible to remove these "switches" and just have
    RMDIR "%PROGRAMFILES%\Zone Labs"

Message Edited by Ugh on 05-18-2008 05:30 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information