Thread: ISS, ForceField and BSOD

jonindc Guest

Default ISS, ForceField and BSOD

Hi there,

I've been a longtime ZA user, and have been using ISS for the last four years or so, w/o any major problems (and those I was able to resolve using the tips I found here). Last night I purchased and installed ForceField. It seemed to work fine at the start, but then I ran a virus/spyware scan. I left it for a while and came back to error messages that were appearing through the screensaver, and that locked up my computer. I manually rebooted, and it delayed shutting down to install a security patch from Microsoft.

When I logged back in, I re-ran the scans, which almost completed, then I got an error message from ForceField saying it had a 'Stability Issue' and did I want to send an error message. I did, and then my computer crashed into BSOD. Restarts got me error report messages from windows ("This computer has recovered from a serious error...&quot, but always with a crash shortly after logging in (usually right after ZA loaded) and several different BSOD error message ('check system memory' etc).

After one reboot, I ran in safemode and chose (paraphrasing) 'run last working configuration', and it ran a checkdisk process before loading and found and supposedly corrected errors, but upon logging in, I had the same issues.

Finally, I rebooted into safemode, un-installed ForceField and then restarted. It seems to work fine now, but I would like to get Forcefield up and working. As background, I'm running Win XP Media Center, SP2, fully patched, ISS is latest version, I use the latest version of Firefox with Adblock as the only extension, and I have Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster installed as well.

Common sense tells me the problem is with ForceField. Does anyone have any configuration tips to make it 'play nice' or should I try and get a refund? I haven't been able to find any information on this or similar problems.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ISS, ForceField and BSOD

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..If your having BSOD's Please Contact ZA Tech Support Directly, it is a Free service for users with a Valid License Key..at www.zonealarm.com/tsform (Preferably with IE7)and when you click Submit using IE6 or IE7Browser, you will receive an Auto-generated Confirmation Email with your Case Number and a respoce from Tech Support ASAP..Please check your Junk mail folder if you do not receive the Confirmation Email withing an hour or two..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed, and any Details about your BSOD and any Error messages..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:951017254
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3885
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 05-15-2008 11:13 AM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jonindc Guest

Thanks for the welcome!

I have contacted ZA Tech Support already and received the confirmation email.

Trying to answer your other questions as best I can (this all took place last night and I don't have my notes on the error messages here at work), I'm running Win Media Center, XP2 fully patched. I have a Pentium Dual Core(2.80GHz, 800FSB), 3 gb 533mhz RAM, running ZA ISS version 7.0.473.000, and updated AV/AS files last night before the scan. As I've been running ZAISS for almost four years, I've always updated from the previous version of ZA, w/o any other firewall/av apps. I do have ad-aware and spywareblaster loaded. I also have a Linksys router.

Hard drive was a clean install of the OS about four months ago, never experienced any problems reinstalling ZA or running other software until last night.

It's hard to identify all the error messages, as I got a number of them, and the BSOD errors changed (I had probably seven error messages for 8 BSODS). The main ZA error message I got was the FF 'Stability Issue' one.

Thank you for your Feedback..Please Post back when your receive a Responce from Tech support I would be interested in what they have to say on a possible Cause and Remidy..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000

TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:951017254
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3885
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security