Thread: Stuck in the past--upgrades never work past 7.0.302

gretadog Guest

Default Stuck in the past--upgrades never work past 7.0.302

I am a longtime ZA user frustrated by a problem I've been fighting for a year now.

ZAAV 70.302.000en is the latest version that will run on my machine. Anything after that (70.400+) crashes XP when booting up. Sometimes I get to XP's welcome screen, sometimes I get all the way to my desktop, but then it freezes.

Since MAR2007 I have tried each upgrade with no success. I have followed all the tips in this forum
    - Clean uninstall
    - Clean my registry
    - MSCONFIG to stop conflicts
    - Search for all the zonealarm*.* files in various posts here
    - Download the installer using IE and no download helper
    - Uncheck Load ZA on startup

You name it--I've tried it. All to no avail. The ONLY thing that will work is to boot into Safe Mode, uninstall everything related to ZA, and then reinstalling zaAvSetup_70_302_000_en.

Here's the catch 22: I would just stay with 7.0.302 forever except that this week it stopped allowing me to update its AV definitions (despite my license valid for another 2+ years--yes, even after fighting this for a year, I renewed ZA for 3 years because I like the program). Anyway, so now I'm stuck. The only version that will run on my machine cannot download new AV definitions.

To make matters worse, shortly after the "Cannot download AV definitions," I got an Error E0060005h "This file could not be scanned. No treatment is available." The offending file is MOZYCONF.EXE, from my Mozy.com backup, which has always worked fine and didn't start this error until this week. And even though I did the MSCONFIG thing to disable Mozy, ZA still crashed when I tried to upgrade beyond 7.0.302.

I'm at wits end. Tried it all (that I know of). Please help. If you can't, I'll be forced to uninstall and switch to another AV, just eating my 2 year ZA subscription, I guess. Dang. Please let me know if you can help. Thank you!

-----------------------
    ZAAV engine 7.0.302.000
    TruVector engine 7.0.302.000
    Driver version 7.0.302
    AV engine version 3, DAT file version
    -----------------------
    MS Windows XP Home, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.31 Ghz
    x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2412 Mhz
    2.0 GB Ram
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F8, 12/1/2006
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    Adapter RAM 512.00 MB
    Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version 6.14.10.9147
    INF File oem7.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
    Resolution 1440 x 900 x 60 hertz Bits/Pixel 32
    -----------------------

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Stuck in the past--upgrades never work past 7.0.302

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..as a ZAAV User, You can Contact ZoneLabs Tech Support Directly for Free at www.zonelabs.com/tsform (preferably with IE7)Give them all the Details of your problem and what methods you have tried to resolve the problem..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,When you click on the "SUBMIT" button you will receive an Auto-Generated Confirmation Email with your Case Number and a Reply from Tech Support ASAP..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:952476054
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4035
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gretadog Guest

Thanks, GeorgeV. I have submitted the problem to Tech Support and will see what happens.

You're "working" late. Thanks for all you do here for the Forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>GrETAdog wrote:
    Thanks, GeorgeV. I have submitted the problem to Tech Support and will see what happens.

You're "working" late. Thanks for all you do here for the Forum.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you..Please let us know what you find out from Tech support..
    GeorgeV

gretadog Guest

No luck. Here's the correspondence so far. Most of those symptoms described in the &quot;summary&quot; are NOT what I'm experiencing, so maybe Tech Support will have other ideas after they read my reply.

----------------------

Hey, Jesse:

Thank you for the reply. I followed your instructions carefully. Unfortunately, those instructions did not solve the problem.

You might have misunderstood my problem. ZAAV 7.0.302 works fine, but when I upgrade ZAAV to any future version, it crashes Windows. The only solution I know is to go into Safe Mode, uninstall ZAAV, and then reinstall ZAAV 7.0.302.

This doesn't seem to be caused by another program being upgraded. It seems to be caused only by the upgrade of ZAAV.

Please offer other instructions that might help. Thank you!

ZoneAlarm Technical Support wrote:
    &gt; ------- WHEN REPLYING, PLEASE TYPE YOUR TEXT ABOVE THIS LINE --------&gt;
    >
    &gt; Hello ,
    >
    &gt; Thank you for your e-mail
    >
    &gt; I understand you are having issues with the updates to your software. Your log files are more than likely corrupt, please follow the steps in the document below to reset them.
    >
    &gt; There is no reason the updates should not work for that version as it is still the same antivirus company we are using.
    >
    &gt; --------------------------------------
    &gt; This Information Applies to
    >
    &gt; ZoneAlarm Products
    >
    &gt; Summary
    >
    &gt; I am having problems with ZoneAlarm, these problems could include:
    &gt; - Programs keep asking for access after I grant access, and check the remember settings.
    &gt; - A program that was working, suddenly stopped working (was not updated).
    &gt; - No matter what I do I cannot get an application to work.
    &gt; - There is a red X over the ZoneAlarm system tray icon.
    &gt; - The TrueVector service will not start.
    &gt; - I just upgraded something and the program is not working correctly.
    >
    &gt; Solution
    >
    &gt; There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, OS change, or ZoneAlarm update. First, check in the upper right-hand corner of the ZoneAlarm Window. You should see an All Systems Active message in green letters (to the right of overview). If the panel is displaying All systems Active and ZoneAlarm is still not functioning properly, it is possible that some files have become corrupt.
    >
    &gt; To repair this problem, please follow these steps. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process. If any of the steps below does not apply to you, or you are unable to perform the function listed, please continue to the next step.
    >
    &gt; ** NOTE - Beginning with ZoneAlarm products version 4, you can create a Backup of your settings, and then restore them afterwards. See the local ZoneAlarm Help files for specifics.
    >
    &gt; 1. Reboot your system into Safe Mode. The method is determined by your OS but normally either pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during boot up works. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in SAFE MODE
    &gt; 2. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 98SE/ME this will be c:\windows\internet logs, in 2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders). If you need to keep a copy of old alerts, copy the ZAlog.txt file to another location first - then delete ALL files in this folder.
    &gt; 3. Empty your Recycle Bin.
    &gt; 4. Reboot your system.
    >
    &gt; NOTE - Links to sites other than zonealarm.com are provided for the convenience of our users. Zone Labs does not provide, and is not responsible for, the content users may find on such sites.
    >
    &gt; If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further assistance on this issue, please reply to this email. By replying, and leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If you have a separate issue you would like assistance with, please submit a new request using the website at http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform . Thank you for choosing ZoneAlarm,
    >
    &gt; Thank you for choosing Zone Alarm,
    &gt; Jesse
    &gt; Technical Service
    &gt; ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software
    >
    &gt; ================================================== ==
    &gt; To Contact Technical Support again regarding this issue, simply reply to this e-mail and type your text above the line at the top of this e-mail.
    &gt; Be sure to leave the subject line unchanged.
    >
    &gt; ---------------------------------------------------- YOUR CASE DETAILS ---------------------------------------------------- Case Number: 643541 Case Assigned to: Zone Labs Technical Support ----------------------------------------------------
    >

Message Edited by GrETAdog on 06-09-2008 08:16 PM

gretadog Guest

An update as of tonight.

-----------------------
    Hey, Jesse:

Did exactly as you instructed. After installing Trial, it reboots and then crashes XP--just as it was doing before. I rebooted a couple of times to see if it was just a hiccup, but no luck. The only way to get back into XP was to boot into Safe Mode, uninstall, and reinstall 7.0.302.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. If not, I'm going to have to install some other AV. Too bad, because I really do prefer ZoneAlarm.

I welcome your suggestions. Thanks!

>
    &gt; Hello ,
    >
    &gt; Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Service.
    >
    &gt; From what I understand, you are still having issues with the software. Please manually remove the current install of the
    &gt; ZoneAlarm software with the steps provided here.
    >
    &gt; Please download the most current version before you start this process. Ensure that you choose the proper product from
    &gt; the chart here.
    >
    &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/trial
    >
    &gt; This applies to
    >
    &gt; All ZoneAlarm products
    &gt; Windows 2000/XP
    >
    &gt; Summary
    >
    &gt; I need to completely remove ZoneAlarm, or there are remnants of
    &gt; ZoneAlarm on my system
    >
    &gt; Solution
    >
    &gt; If possible, first try to uninstall ZoneAlarm normally from your Start -&gt;
    &gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs menu. If this fails, or you want to ensure that all
    &gt; ZoneAlarm files were removed from the system properly, continue with the
    &gt; steps below.
    >
    &gt; 01.) Restart your computer
    &gt; 02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    &gt; tapping the &quot;F8&quot; key (at the top of your keyboard)
    &gt; 03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    &gt; using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    &gt; Enter
    &gt; 04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    &gt; get a help and support window, close this.
    &gt; 05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
    &gt; 06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    &gt; 07.) Place a dot next to &quot;Show Hidden Files and Folders&quot;
    &gt; 08.) Remove the check from &quot;Hide Protected Operating System Files
    &gt; (Recommended)&quot;
    &gt; 09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    &gt; 10.) Click OK
    &gt; 11.) Double click C:
    >
    &gt; Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
    &gt; the &quot;Show Files&quot; link to view them.
    >
    &gt; 12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    &gt; 13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose
    &gt; Yes
    >
    &gt; NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    >
    &gt;&gt; ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    &gt;&gt;
    &gt; possible.
    >
    &gt; 14.) Close this window
    &gt; 15.) Click Start, My Computer
    &gt; 16.) Double Click the C:
    &gt; 17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    &gt; 18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    &gt; 19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    &gt; 20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose
    &gt; Yes
    >
    &gt; NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    &gt; folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    >
    &gt; 21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are
    &gt; present:
    >
    &gt; - vsconfig.xml
    &gt; - vsxml.dll
    &gt; - vsregexp.dll
    &gt; - vsdata.dll
    &gt; - vsdata95.vxd
    &gt; - vsdatant.sys
    &gt; - vsmonapi.dll
    &gt; - vspubapi.dll
    &gt; - vsinit.dll
    &gt; - vsutil.dll
    &gt; - vswmi.dll
    &gt; - zlcommdb.dll
    &gt; - zlcomm.dll
    &gt; - **bleep**.dat
    &gt; - zpeng24.dll
    >
    &gt; 22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.
    >
    &gt; - Go to Start -&gt; Run
    &gt; - Type %temp% and click OK
    &gt; - Select all of these files and delete them
    >
    &gt; 23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below (Windows XP only).
    >
    &gt; - Go to Start -&gt; Run
    &gt; - Type Prefetch and click OK
    &gt; - Select all of these files and delete them
    >
    &gt; 24.) Remove the following registry entries by going to Start -&gt; Run and
    &gt; typing in regedit. Use the folders on the left side of the window to navigate
    &gt; to the specified directories.
    >
    &gt; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Zone Labs
    &gt; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/vsmon
    &gt; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/vsdatant
    >
    &gt; *Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause
    &gt; serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the
    &gt; need to reinstall it. Please make sure you are able to perform these
    &gt; deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not
    &gt; sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the
    &gt; registry.
    >
    &gt; For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your
    &gt; desktop, click Start &gt;&gt; Run &gt;&gt; and type regedit. Click on Help &gt;&gt; Help
    &gt; Topics. Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may
    &gt; be found under the How to... section).
    >
    &gt; Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it.
    &gt; You can find this in the same section of the Help files.
    >
    &gt; 25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
    &gt; 26.) Restart the computer.
    &gt; 27.) Try to install the latest version again.
    >
    &gt; If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further assistance on this issue, please reply to this email. By
    &gt; replying, and leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If you have a separate issue you
    &gt; would like assistance with, please submit a new request using the website at http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform .
    >
    &gt; Thank you for choosing Zone Alarm,
    &gt; Jesse
    &gt; Technical Service
    &gt; ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software
    >
    &gt; To Contact Technical Support again regarding this issue, simply reply to this e-mail and type your text above the line at the top of this e-mail.
    >
    &gt; ----------------------------------------------------
    &gt; YOUR CASE DETAILS
    &gt; Case Number: 643541
    &gt; Case Assigned to: Zone Labs Technical Support
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Message Edited by GrETAdog on 06-09-2008 08:17 PM

gretadog Guest

Unresolved, but a conclusion. Darn
    -------------
    Thanks, Jesse. I'm a businessperson, too, and I realize there are times when you just have to tell a customer &quot;We're sorry, but the problem is unfixable.&quot; I think this is one of those times. Please don't worry about it. I have a 3 PC license and the other two machines work beautifully, so I know it's not Zone Alarm's fault. I'll watch as I update the other machines and if you guys come out with some radically different product that might solve my problem, I'll try that. In the meantime, 7.0.302 works as a firewall but won't update its AV definitions, so I have to switch to another product.

Again, I appreciate your help with this. Have a good week.

>
    &gt; Hello ,
    >
    &gt; Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.
    >
    &gt; With version 7.0.302 does the antivirus work fine? You can run that version if you like till we get something new out to try.
    &gt; Also when you did msconfig did you disable everything except for ZoneAlarm and the Microsoft services?
    &gt; If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further assistance on this issue, please reply to this email. By replying, and leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If you have a separate issue you would like assistance with, please submit a new request using the website at http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform .
    &gt; Thank you for choosing ZoneAlarm,
    &gt; Jesse
    &gt; Technical Support
    &gt; ZoneAlarm,
    &gt; A Check Point Company
    >
    >
    &gt; ---------------------------------------------------- YOUR CASE DETAILS ---------------------------------------------------- Case Number: 643541 Case Assigned to: Zone Labs Technical Support ----------------------------------------------------
    >

Message Edited by GrETAdog on 06-09-2008 08:17 PM

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:952719832
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4045
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903Thank you for you Feedback..I'm sorry things have not worked out for that one Computer..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information