Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation fails on Acer AM5640

dcgsr Guest

Default Installation fails on Acer AM5640

New ACER
    AM5640 PC with Vista SP1
    Downloaded MCPR (to remove McAfee Products)
    Ran MCPR twice - rebooted after completion

Downloaded ZAP for Vista

Started zaZAP_setup_en.exe

Install proceeded with permission box, then eula and finished with dialog "install completed"

Then dialog "Configuring ZAP"
    Then Windows Dialog "Zone Alarm Client has stopped working"

Accept Close Program

Then Survey with questions

ZAP dialog "Install complete - Do you want to start True Vector?"
    Click Yes

Again Windows Dialog Box "Zone Alarm client has stopped working"

Close Program

I have completly uninstalled and reinstalled ZAP four times with the same results.
    A reboot after install leaves me with no Internet access until I uninstall ZAP
    True Vector cannot be started in Services (attempts to start, but fails)
    Error log reveals following:

Faulting application zlclient.exe, version 7.1.254.0, time stamp 0x47cc7234, faulting module PSDProtect.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x47cd6a90, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00c52b60, process id 0xa5c, application start time 0x01c8cd511ad3c520.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Attention: 'Acer' computers: Acer + ZA - installation failures > fix is available

A number of users with new Acer pc/ laptops have had installation failures with ZA - some producing 'errors' with "PSDProtect.dll_unloaded." or "that Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
    has closed zone alarm" , etc. ( Please do no attempt to make modifications to Windows DEP; the Acer program is the responsible program/ the root cause
    )<hr>
    Please try this first... updating to the latest version of Acer eDataSecurity Management
    1) &quot;There's an even better fix that doesn't involve you having to uninstall the eData Security Management utility (for those who use and want to keep it).Simply go to http://www.egistec.com/oem-acer001/freetrial.html
    scroll to the bottom of the page and select Download to download the latest version of eData Security Management utility.
    Install and you'll probably need to reboot, then &quot;Hey Presto!&quot; ZoneAlarm installation completes and starts downloading it's updates!&quot;
    Thanks to 'stueybaby' for bringing this to our attention.<hr><hr>
    2) Or Uninstalling this program (&quot;Acer eDataSecurity Management &quot; ) before installing ZoneAlarm <hr>&quot;Hi, my brother recently bought a new Acer Aspire 5930. And when installing Zonealarm also got this problem.
    After trying lots of different ways to bypass the problem, I finally found out what was causing the problem (with some help from another acer user who got a similar problem installing/using a different program.

The PSDProtect.dll belongs to &quot;Acer eDataSecurity Management&quot;, one part of the &quot;Acer Empowering Technology&quot; program group.

Uninstalling this program (&quot;Acer eDataSecurity Management&quot; ) before installing Zonealarm makes the problem go away completely

Hope this helps. (And isn't too late)

Kind Regards
    Ketil&quot;

<hr><hr>If you would like to post back confirmations of this fix please do so. Remember this is a fix for a particular issue there are other protocols/ tips/ guidelines that still need to be followed - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73617
    - Vista<hr>&quot;Ah Ha!Uninstalling Acer eDataSecurity Management and rebooting has done the trick.On restart ZASS continued the configuration from the last point it got to before the trouble.It's all been configured and is doing a full scan now.Thanks for your prompt help.
    Whatto&quot; - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=80219<hr>(Last resort): To anyone who's &quot;still&quot; having problems with ZA on Vista Acer laptops (and possibly desktops) there is a suggestion posted here regarding this:

&quot;However I still had problems with ZA install with the same PSDProtect.dll even after uninstalling the Acer eDataSecurity Management program.

My solution was to search for the file (navigation in Vista is still a little nebulous to me) and rename it, as I could not delete it (Vista runs your computer life, not you). I added an &quot;x&quot; to the beginning of the PSDProtect.dll file and rebooted.

While the &quot;failed&quot; ZA install started working, I elected to re-run the ZA install and chose &quot;update&quot; and rebooted. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.&quot;
    Thanks to user 'excitron' for this &gt; http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=84478<hr>Hi NaiveMelody, Thanks for the info uninstalled the said program (Acer edata security management) and bingo ZoneAlarm installed with out a hitch, Done a scan and everything went perfect.
    Thanks again Grahame
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=81742<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 8-18-08 - One Thing Leads To Another - The Fixx

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-04-2009 11:15 PM

ealdric Guest

Default Re: Installation fails on Acer AM5640/PSDProtect.dll_unloaded

I had the same error on the same model Acer. I submitted the info on the TS form, but never got a confirmation from ZA, just another blank form, twice.
    Trying to install ZA Pro I bought in a store, not downloaded.
    I did read the other thread, but the user never said whether CCleaner helped him. Just purchased the Acer in late April, shouldn't have too much junk on it.
    Will the live chat work on dial-up?
    Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ealdric wrote:
    I had the same error on the same model Acer. I submitted the info on the TS form, but never got a confirmation from ZA, just another blank form, twice.Trying to install ZA Pro I bought in a store, not downloaded.I did read the other thread, but the user never said whether CCleaner helped him. Just purchased the Acer in late April, shouldn't have too much junk on it.Will the live chat work on dial-up?Thanks!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thank you for your Feedback..There is a Coding problem with the Submit Button on the Tech Support Page, that seems to work for users of IE6 &amp; IE7, but not for Firefox users..1.) I recomend trying again with IE6 or IE7, and when you Click the "Submit" Button, your should Receive an Auto-Generated Confirmation Email with your case number, usually within 15 minutes, and a reply from Tech support ASAP..2.) If you do not receive a Confirmation Email,a.) the Tech Support will never see your Help Request, as the Submit Button sends both the confirmation Email and your Report to Tech support at the same time..b.) in some instances, the Confirmation Email was sent to you OK, but, may have been tossed into your Junk-mail / Spam Filter folderc.) in a few cases TimeWarner and some other Internet providers in certain areas of the Country have been known to Block or Bounce Email from zonelabs.com or checkpoint.comto test for this, try resubmiting your request using an Alternat Email address from Hotmail.com or Gmail.com, you should then receive a confirmation Email, if the problem lies with your ISP Spam Blocking software..Please post back with your progress report to this Forum..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953094316
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4095
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ealdric Guest

Thanks.Running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7. Checked my spam folders, both web-based and desktop. Nothing there.I will try the support page again using a yahoo email ID, it's the only alternate I have.
    I have noticed that if I leave the failed ZA installation in place and resort to the Windows Firewall, I can't get to any web sites, so I have uninstalled ZA yet again. Sigh.

Thanks.Running Vista Home Premium SP1 with IE7. Checked my spam folders, both web-based and desktop. Nothing there.I will try the support page again using a yahoo email ID, it's the only alternate I have.I have noticed that if I leave the failed ZA installation in place and resort to the Windows Firewall, I can't get to any web sites, so I have uninstalled ZA yet again. Sigh.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..Try again with Yahoo Email Address should work ok..1.) Running two Firewalls or two Anti-Virus in real time can cause Conflict..
    2.) some Computer Users thinkhttp://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/th_1what.gif that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../th_1mad-1.gif

3.)- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.Please post back with your progress report..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:7.3.040.000 (Beta)
    TrueVector version:7.3.040.000
    Driver version:7.3.040.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3745
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000

TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200806.4095
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :

GeorgeV

ealdric Guest

I am well aware of the problems of 2 firewalls or AV programs. I wasn't expecting a problem with a failed install, but it was easy to figure out. I am reluctant to actually uninstall the Windows Firewall since Acer did not include Vista installation discs with my system. I don't want to get stuck with nothing.
    Do actual ZA techs ever read any of these boards and provide help, or repair mal-functioning web pages?

I am well aware of the problems of 2 firewalls or AV programs. I wasn't expecting a problem with a failed install, but it was easy to figure out. I am reluctant to actually uninstall the Windows Firewall since Acer did not include Vista installation discs with my system. I don't want to get stuck with nothing.Do actual ZA techs ever read any of these boards and provide help, or repair mal-functioning web pages?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your feedback..1.) Windows Firewall does not have to Be Removed, ZoneAlarn shuts down Windows Firewall by Default when ZA is installed, the conflict you will have if you Manually Turn Windows Firewall back ON, or if you Install any other Security Program that Also includes a Firewall or Worm Protection..2.) This is a ZA User Forum Supported by Users, and not a Tech support or Customer Service Forum, No Zonelabs employees monitor this Forum.. (if they did, they would have no time for tech support or product development)If you have a Valid License Key you may Contact Zonelabs Tech Support Directly for free at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform (Preferably with IE7)Please report back here with your progress report..---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:7.3.040.000 (Beta)
    TrueVector version:7.3.040.000
    Driver version:7.3.040.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3745
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200806.4095
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 06-15-2008 12:04 PM
    GeorgeV

prestons Guest

Hi ealdric!

Did you ever get your Acer with Vista to play nicely with ZASS? (I have not been able to do so

Thanks

ps

ealdric Guest

No. Gave up. May try again one of these days.
    Did see on some other thread here that part of my problem with the Tech Service form may be that the license key is case sensitive. I was entering it in lower case for clarity when it should be all caps. How we are supposed to know that I am not sure. Plus it is not clear whether some of the characters are letter I or number 1.
    I have been considering writing to ZA by regular mail, since they haven't heard of ordinary
    email.Or I may post the issue on some other forums I have access to.Although it begins to sound like an Acer issue as much as a ZA problem.
    For now, AVG av catches what Windows Firewall lets through.
    Note that I was trying to install ZA-Pro Firewall 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information