Thread: 2 ZASS icons appeared in Windows tray

bbeeusa Guest

Default 2 ZASS icons appeared in Windows tray

after I did a clean reinstall.

I had a program called NielsenOnline.com installed on my computer. I deleted this program. After rebooting, ZASS did not have the antivirus/antispyware tab. I went online to ZA customer care and found that I should do a clean install.

I downloaded ZASS 7.0.473.00. I followed the directions to performed a clean install. After removing and reinstalling the new download an error appeared right before the reinstall finished.

MANTISPAM.exe-unable to locate component. Message reads: This application failed to start because MSVCP.dll was not found. Reinstalling this program may fix this problem.

I clicked okay. ZASS finished reinstalling. I found no ZASS icon on desktop, but there are 2 ZASS icons in the tray.

After running antivirus which took 4 hours and 41 minutes and 59 seconds, one infection was found.

One of the icons in tray is ZASS options and the other one is the actual program. Strange, huh. Do you think I should uninstall this program and reloaded it again?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: 2 ZASS icons appeared in Windows tray

Here is something that might fix that problem..What you are experiencing usually happens if you have more than one zlclient.exe in your boot-up process...Can you check that only one zclient.exe is called in the boot? Look for example that no other zlclient.exe is present in, for example, the startup windows folder...alsoCheck your startup with msconfig.--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953178370
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4105
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bbeeusa Guest

George,
    You are right. I do have 2 Zlclients running when I look into system configuration.
    1. zlclient c:\programfiles\ZoneAla... HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\current vers...

2. zlclient c:\program files\ZoneAl... Software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\...

Which one is the right one? What should I do? Please give me very specific directions. I am slightly experienced.

Thanks for quick reponse.

George, now I know what happened the reason for the 2 icons. I forgot to not let ZASS load upon restarting ( which I read about in another post). But I still need to know which of the zlclient above that I really need.

Beverly

Message Edited by bbeeusa on 06-17-2008 12:30 AM

Message Edited by bbeeusa on 06-17-2008 12:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>bbeeusa wrote:
    George,
    You are right. I do have 2 Zlclients running when I look into system configuration.
    1. zlclient c:\programfiles\ZoneAla... HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\current vers...

2. zlclient c:\program files\ZoneAl... Software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\...

Which one is the right one? What should I do? Please give me very specific directions. I am slightly experienced.

Thanks for quick reponse.

George, now I know what happened the reason for the 2 icons. I forgot to not let ZASS load upon restarting ( which I read about in another post). But I still need to know which of the zlclient above that I really need.

Beverly

Message Edited by bbeeusa on 06-17-2008 12:30 AM

Message Edited by bbeeusa on 06-17-2008 12:33 AM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..I have three suggestions for you..A.) as a ZASS User you can contact Zonelabs Tech Support for free at www.zonealarm.com/tsform(Preferably with IE6 or IE7)Please give them the details of your problem and list any other Security programs you have installed, and if your OS has the latest Service pack ans Windows patches are up to date..When you click on the "SUBMIT" Button, you will receive an auto-Generated Confirmation Email with your Case number usually within 15 minutes (if the email is not toosed into your Spam/Junk mail folder.. Check there if you don't receive an Email withing an Hour.. if all goes OK, then you will receive a Responce from tech support ASAP.. one hour to three days, depending on work load and if you received the confirmation email..B.) try the following See if you have multiple ZLClient listed in MSConfig or Windows STARTUP folder::
    1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    C.) a Clean Uninstall/Re-install on ZoneAlarm..Try a clean unistall of the program then reinstall the program.....

1.) Download a Current Copy of Zone Alarm Security Suite from
    ZA website in the release history section.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2.) Go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Un-Check "Load Zone Alarm on Startup"
    3.) Reboot Computer to Remove Zone Alarm drivers from Memory..
    4.) Temporarily shut down any other AV/AS Security programs that May Conflict with ZA Install

5..) Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean)
    Click OK to save the new command line.
    Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    - Reboot

Now Start again in the Safe mode and delete these files in the Windows Directory:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

Now Reboot

Using something like this Freeware CCleaner &lt;--- http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
    , will help do the cleanup as well on both the Hard drive and the Registry .

Now Re-install the ZA program now.

------------------------------------Please post back with your progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953178370
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4105
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bbeeusa Guest

Default Thanks,2 ZASS icons appeared in Windows tray

I did as you advised. A clean uninstall. It took care of my problem. Excellent advise and response.

Thank you again, George.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Thread Information