Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network not on Firewall | Zone Tab

heidir Guest

Default Wireless Network not on Firewall | Zone Tab

After installation of ZASS7 on XP, ZASS7 detected a wireless network when I enabled my wireless card on my laptop. However, this wireless network does NOT appear on the
    Zone Tab. Is this normal?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Wireless Network not on Firewall | Zone Tab

What does appear in the Firewall's Zones and what is the wireless router's IP?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

heidir Guest

I have a wired router, which appears in the Zone tab. The wireless network ZASS7 detected was either my internal wireless card and/or a wireless network in range.

Using the ZA free or the ZA Pro as previously stated?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

heidir Guest

I'm running ZASS v7.0.473.000

Hi HeidiR

We are talking about the actual IP (and subnet) not the adapters?
    What was the IP of the wireless and what is the IP of the wired access point?
    The wireless network adapter is enabled both in windows and in the hardware?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

heidir Guest

The IP of the wireless connection is 192.168.0.4. However, this IP does NOT appear
    on the Zone tab.

The wireless is transmitting and the wireless adapter is on (physically) as seen in the network connections of windows?
    Does your wireless connection actually work and the ZA does not see this?
    My laptop has a small switch on the side to enable and disable the wireless adapter, so it could be off even if the wireless is still enabled in the network connections.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

heidir Guest

Thanks for the information. As mentioned previously, after installation of ZASS7 on XP, ZASS7 detected my wireless network when I enabled my wireless card on my laptop (via device manager) and connected to a wireless network. With the card enabled, I am able communicate via the wireless card normally even though the
    wireless network does NOT appear on the
    Zone Tab. Is this normal?

If the wireless and the ethernet connections have two seperate and distinct IPs, then no this is not normal at all. If both routers have the same identical IPs (192.168.0.1 for example), then yes this can be normal.
    The paid versions of the ZA see the gateway or router or the correct DHCP server by the IP, whereas the ZA free sets these down with the computer's own adapter with the IP.

The two routers are actually seperately treated by the ZA - due to the two routers have two individual MACs. So the ZA still sees the two routers as seperate and not identical.
    The ZA does not confuse the two even if these have the same IPs.

If there is an issue and the ZA is treating the connections incorrectly, then reset the ZA's database and all previous settings and information will be deleted and the ZA will start completely fresh.
    The ZA will be the same as just installed and starting all over (wish I could do that in real life LOL).

ZA database reset:
    Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

After the reboot into the normal boot, the ZA will show the New Network Found and set this network as Trusted, not Internet.
    This should fix the problem, if there were any.

If you wish to set up specific rules especially for the two routers and not allow the ZA to handle this normally for you, then follow this thread for the DHCP connection. It explains a router with another router acting as a switch, so concentrate on the correct router (the first or gateway router) in the thread and follow it first for your ethernet router and then the wireless router. Basically you will enter in the Expert of the Firewall not one gateway, but two gateways with their own seperate MACs.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=52448

If you wish to peruse this further and use this approach, then we will together work on this.
    I will give you lots of advice and helps.

Oldsod,
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information