Thread: Windows Firewall & ZA Installation?

grenet Guest

Default Windows Firewall & ZA Installation?

In ZA User's Guide, I was going to look for a place to thank ZA for keeping an XP version completely separate from Vista, then I noticed that it said that after an update, you may have to manually reactivate Windows Firewall!

Why would anyone want to enable Windows Firewall???! I stay as far away from M$ as I possibly can since their latest controlware antics with Vista (and SP3 - a sorry attempt to sneak VISTA spyware/controlware onto XP users foolish enough to install it).

A better question - my real question - is why on earth would ZA suggest such a thing as enabling Microsoft's Windows Firewall??! Please tell me ZA is not caving in to the blackmail Microsoft is trying to pull on software companies, banks, ISO, and everyone else they think they can scare!

Please say it ain't so. I have been trusting ZA to protect me FROM Microsoft.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Windows Firewall & ZA Installation?

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..I think you may have mis-read or Mis-understood that passage..1.) Durring the install of ZoneAlarm.. Windows Firewall is Turned OFF by Default.. However,2.) when ZoneAlarm is Uninstalled, it Turns Windows Firewall back On on the way out..Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XPadd/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. --------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000

TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:953506549
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.4135
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

maggietoo9 Guest

Thanks, George, you're right, I did misunderstand it.

What would happen in my case - if I uninstalled ZA with every service having anything to do with Windows Firewall, including the &quot;Security Console&quot; or whatever the name is, and all remote-control access disabled in Services?

Thanks,
    MaggieAnn

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>maggietoo9 wrote:
    Thanks, George, you're right, I did misunderstand it.

What would happen in my case - if I uninstalled ZA with every service having anything to do with Windows Firewall, including the "Security Console" or whatever the name is, and all remote-control access disabled in Services?

Thanks,
    MaggieAnn
    <HR>If that computer is connected to the Internet without basic Firewall and Anti-Virus protection..Here is an Example.</BLOCKQUOTE><DIV id=story-heading><H1></H1><H1>The 12-minute Windows heist</H1><DIV id=byline>

Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

01 July 2005 11:32 AM

Tags: wayne mansfield, sean richmond, worm, virus, trojan, spyware, sophos, keylogger<DIV id=story>There is a 50 percent chance your unprotected Windows PC will be compromised within 12 minutes of going online, says security vendor Sophos.

Highlighting the increasing speed of online attacks in research covering the last six months of virus activity, the vendor said the news was mostly grim.

Authors of malware such as spam, viruses, phishing scams and spyware increased both the volume and sophistication of their assaults, releasing almost 8,000 new viruses in the first half of 2005 and increasingly teaming up in joint ventures to make money. The new-virus figure is up 59 percent on the same period last year.

"With financial gain rather than notoriety becoming more of a motivation, spammers and virus writers have been drawn together with more traditional criminal elements," said Sophos Australia and New Zealand senior technical consultant Sean Richmond.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

maggietoo9 Guest

That wasn't what I meant - this time YOU misunderstood - LOL.

I wouldn't uninstall ZA without first disconnecting from the internet (via ipconfig /release). And would have some firewall up and running before I renewed the connection.

I meant in terms of what would ZA do about Windows Firewall if it couldn't find files/services it was looking for? I have a lot of dangerous and unnecessary Windows &quot;Services&quot; disabled. It wouldn't re-enable any services I have manually disabled, would it?

I've been concerned about ZA submitting to demands from Microsoft. Microsoft is blackmailing hardware &amp; software vendors, banks, ISO, &amp; others to bend to their demands or &quot;else&quot; (whatever &quot;else&quot; they have the power to do - with the banks it is to block downloads to their oldest customers who use older MSMoney versions (which were sold with NO caveat that functions would be disabled in the future) or &quot;else&quot; they won't get to download into MSMoney2008 (some banks have kissed butt, but some haven't). I don't know why ALL the banks haven't figured out that if they stick together and tell M$ to take a flying leap, M$ would have a NEW MSMoney product with no statement download access - hmmm, wonder what would happen then?

I have depended on ZA to protect me FROM Microsoft. Microsoft has been the only source of damage to my software thus far (using WinLiveID to vandalize an older (but completely legitimate) version of MSMoney to try to force me to buy it again in their newest incarnation). Fortunately, I image my drive, all they actually accomplished was to ensure that I NEVER buy another MS product. I'm researching Linux now - I figure when XP doesn't function for me any longer I want to be prepared. I see Linux in my future some years down the road.

I was made very nervous by a new update from ZA that had a bunch of M$ accesses pre-approved and giving me dire warnings if I turned the approval off. I switched to **bleep** for awhile. I tried ZA again, maybe with a prior version - I don't remember - but it doesn't seem to be giving M$ carte blanche now. I just don't want any SP3 or Vista spyware/controlware mixed into my applications. I will do without a lot of &quot;latest and greatest&quot; to avoid that. I may have to stay with older versions of apps that I would upgrade if they hadn't crammed VISTA accomodation into them. M$ CEOs are behaving like mafia thugs selling &quot;protection&quot; and I want no more part of that unethical company.

Ann

Thread Information