Thread: Removing ZA

squeelkyaaaa Guest

Default Removing ZA

ZoneAlarm leaves trash all over the place after an uninstall. And, some of these leftover entries can create problems with other software, particularly some antivirus products. That has been my problem. I've manually removed about all the remaining pieces except HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentcontrolSet\Servic es\vsdatant. When I delete vstdatant and its sub entries, my AV program appears to work, but my LAN dies. What in vsdatant could
    clobber my LAN ? (And, why curiously
    hasn't
    ZA created a clean removal tool ?)

Default Re: Removing ZA

The ZA uninstall is rather a clean process by itself and does not require a clean up tool, relatively compared to other security and firewalls.
    Nor does the remaing vsdatant registry eky really have any effect on the performance of the windows or any other third party security applications.
    The vsdatant registry key will only have an issue if the vsdatant driver itself is still existing in the windows directory - and if not found, then no ill effects are experienced.

If a corrupted uninstall does actually occur, it is only when the ZA was still running when the ZA uninstaller was executed and the ZA then failed to shut itself off or if there issues with other security applications and/or windows itself.

Your issues may be from the AV or other security applications instlalled on the windows, if these applications have any form of some type of firewalling or networking security.
    These would include web scanners, email guards, intrusion/network/worm protection/shields, site and spyware site blocking, cookie and/or web script blocking/filtering, IM protection/guards. and various other features.

It is more than likely conflicts were occuring when the ZA was installed and used, and these are still present or have been amplified.

To fix the issue, do a reset of the tcp in windows itself using window's own netsh utility.

Enter this in the command and execute it (hit the Enter key of the keyboard):

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

then wait a few minutes before rebooting. The log, which should then be seen in the Documents and Settings or in your own Documents, can be checked to ensure the reset was correct and final.

If this procedure is too difficult to perform, then download and install and run this freeware tool, using both available and only options:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

Another possible solution is check the LSP .dlls in windows and make sure there are conflicting .dlls or perhaps a troyan .dll injected into the LSP of windows.
    And no, the ZA does not rely on a winsock dll for the network filtering of the firewall.
    Any LSP issue that are experienced would be from the windows or other third party applications or from possible malware.
    If finding the LSP items is too difficult to find in the System Information, then use this freeware tool to check and verify (Use At Your Own Risk if you attempting to remove any items listed by this particular tool):

< a href="http://www.majorgeeks.com/LSP-Fix_d4180.html">http://www.majorgeeks.com/LSP-Fix_d4180.html</a>

If windows itself has some corrupted issues within itself, this should be repaired by the resetting of the TCP. Either manually by the command or by the freeware tool.

Do not sk me why the last anchor tag in the last link does not appear - I have edited this post three times and yet to see if appear.
    Sorry, but the forum is doing it's usual gltiches with posts and html code.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-27-2008 07:14 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

squeelkyaaaa Guest

Thanks for your reply. I'm not doubting the wisdom of your words, but removing residual pieces of an uninstalled ZA prodouct has allowed certain aspects of my AV product (Kaspersky) to function properly.Did I perform the uninstall
    of ZA correctly ? It's been a few weeks, but surely I would have had the
    good sense to exit the product before uninstalling - but,
    can't say for sure now. I just removed registry subkey vsdatant, and indeed, my AV program performed it's update proceedure flawlessly. And, my LAN is dead. Running netsh to reset was not allowed (complaining about higher elevation needed). I could probably run it in safe mode with networking, but it appears that my ethernet adapter's driver was sharing or using something in vsdatant
    . I might trying removing and reinstalling the driver. I may have to consider living with the tradeoffs or get another AV program.

"Thanks for your reply. I'm not doubting the wisdom of your words, but removing residual pieces of an uninstalled ZA prodouct has allowed certain aspects of my AV product (Kaspersky) to function properly.
    Did I perform the uninstall of ZA correctly ? It's been a few weeks, but surely I would have had the good sense to exit the product before uninstalling - but, can't say for sure now. I just removed registry subkey vsdatant, and indeed, my AV program performed it's update proceedure flawlessly. And, my LAN is dead. Running netsh to reset was not allowed (complaining about higher elevation needed). I could probably run it in safe mode with networking, but it appears that my ethernet adapter's driver was sharing or using something in vsdatant . I might trying removing and reinstalling the driver. I may have to consider living with the tradeoffs or get another AV program. "

Even thougn you completely failed to include the ZA version and release version, I would venture to guess you had trialed either the ZA Free (latest versions) or perhaps even tried the ZAISS along side the KAV.
    The 7.x and higher releases of the ZA Free installer is infact the ZAISS installer with many features disabled or hidden. Yet the files and api of the unused sections of the ZAISS are there in the ZA Free.
    The hidden files and unused process are in fact mostly the kasperksy antivirus scanner of the ZA ISS installer.
    This is where your problem originates from - the ZA Free or the ZAISS may have been in conflict with your resident antivirus OR the uninstall of the ZA corrupted the resident antivirus.

Usually little is reported about issues with the ZA free used with the KAV.
    But if you wish to use the ZA Free along side of the KAV, then I would advise to use a ZA from the 6.x releases and not the 7.x releases.
    Not the usual advice I would give, but in your specific case, this is sound advice.

The ZA Pro and the ZA Antipsyware versions would have no issue with the KAV, as both of these ZAs do not have any antivirus files.
    Using the ZAISS and the ZA AV versions would not be wise with the KAV, as these ZAs have antivirus files and could possiblely cause issues with the KAV.

Furthermore, the KAV does have some firewalling features besides proxifing all or any of the incoming/outgoing connections through it's web scanner. The KAV from kasperksy labs is in fact the KIS (their internet security suite) with some files missing and some features disabled - yet the ndis and network drivers and filtering of the kaspersky suite is all present in their regular antivirus. A strong case from kaspersky of taking over the windows and pushing out any other third party applications or the competition (slowy kaspersky is starting to resemble the major antivirus vendors in that aspect??).

Conflicts may have originated from using both the email scanner of the KAV and the ZA Mail Safe at the same time. Another case of conflicts by using two applications to do the very same task.

Perhaps after uninstalling the ZA, you should uninstall the KAV and then re-install the KAV (or perhaps consider using their security suite). The uninstall and cleanup of the KAV followed by a re-install of the KAV should solve your problem.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information